Egg white omelette

My favorite Egg white omelette recipe that took me about 1 year to perfect.  Delicious, light and filling – high protein and gluten free. Perfect if you want to lean up and get rid of some pudding off that belly ! The egg whites in this recipe are a terrific no fat source of high quality protein, containing all the essential amino acids needed for growth immunity and repair.

Serves 1

150 g mushrooms ( shiitake, swiss brown, button)
1 tomato
2 shallots (spring onions) sliced
pepper
4 organic / free range egg whites
50 g ricotta or cottage cheese
¼ avo
handful rocket leaves mixed with cold pressed olive oil + lemon juice

Saute the mushrooms in a little olive oil until golden in your favorite 20cm cast iron pan  (medium heat).
Add 1 chopped tomato and heat through. I sometimes like to throw in a little spinach.
Beat the egg whites until frothy and pour over the mushrooms.
Add ricotta or cottage cheese.
Bake in a hot 200 C oven for 5 miinutes until golden and souflee like.  Remove from the oven and top with rocket leaves and avocado.
Serve immediately and enjoy.

Protein: 28g
Carbs: 6
Fat: 10

Watch the video

Comments
17 Responses to “Egg white omelette”
  1. Randi says:

It looks delicious, but how can you with the current knowledge of all the important goodness of egg yolks still promote egg white omelettes as a healthy choice?

• Teresa Cutter says:

Yes Randy, eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat, containing all the essential amino acids needed for growth, repair and a healthy immune system. The lecithin in the egg yolks is rich in choline, which is involved in the transport of cholesterol in the bloodstream and in fat metabolism, which can be useful in treating fat accumulation in the liver. However the egg white contains most of the high quality protein you need plus one egg white has around 17 calories compared to an egg yolk which has 36 calories and more saturated fat. The egg white omelette is low in saturated fat, high in quality protein for repair plus it’s contains half the calories of a traditional whole egg omelette. At the end of the day Randy, if you’re trying to lose a little pudding off that belly the egg white omelette is the better way to go.

• Rebecca says:

i have a mild egg allergy its the protein in the yolk that has me rolling around screaming in pain so egg whites are the only option for someone like me. :-)

2. paul says:

I actually had this dish at the healthy chef cafe and it was awesome, beautifully presented in a hot pan, well done Teresa your food is sensational.

3. Katrina says:

I really enjoyed watching your video. Even though I have recently purchased your cookbook I prefer learning by watching than reading the book. More videos would be great!

4. Karen says:

Will definitely give this a try! You make it look so easy. Hope mine comes out the same or at least close! Thanks.

5. Hayley says:

Is there any spices that would give this a bit more flavor? I put a pinch of Cajun spice over it.

6. Sue says:

I was just wondering, what do you do with all yolks? Discarding 4 yolks is too wasteful for me… but I don’t know what to do with them!

By the way, your recipes are so inspirational to eat healthy and really defines ‘clean eating’! :) I hope to one day visit your cafe!

Thanks

• Hey Sue – I normally make a lovely vanilla bean custard or ice cream using the egg yolks and serve with fresh berries or over an crumble. You can also add into muffin, pastry or cake mixes. 1 yolk is about 20 grams. :)

7. Snejana says:

Hi Teresa, I just made this delicious omelette and I’m very happy that I succeeded at making and eating it :P! I’ve got one question about the salsa verde. If i make a substantial amount of it, how long will that last in the fridge?

Thanks again for sharing your recipes :)

8. Kristin says:

Wow! Just read the list and watched the clip of making it! It looks so yummy
    And so big ! So all that is under 250 cAlories. ?
    And is it good for only one person or two? Because it
    So huge! Haha!

Also can u put any fry pan into a over ? Or will the platic stuff
    On the handle melt! ?

Cheers

9. Caitlin says:

Hi Teresa, just wanting to know your thoughts on the cartons of egg whites?

10. Chantae says:

hi therese,

would this be suitable to make a weeks worth and keep in the fridge?

Trackbacks
  1. [...] Add 1 teaspoon of XO Sauce to any stir-fry Smear 1 teaspoon XO sauce over an organic egg or egg white omelette and top with fresh coriander, avocado and lime. Serve with my Tuna Fritters, Healthy Chicken [...]