Bircher Muesli – gluten free

This delicious breakfast was introduced by a Swiss physician Maximillian Bircher-Brenner for patient in his hospital.  He believed that a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables was an essential part of healing therapy.  Traditionally the muesli was eaten with orange juice and not milk and the original recipe had far more whole fruit then grains.

Above is the bircher muesli taken from Kamalaya in Koh Samui Thailand. It’s a wonderful blend of fresh rolled oats, seeds, fresh seasonal fruit mixed with a little natural yoghurt and it’s one of the most popular meals served during breakfast.

I love making my own Bircher style natural muesli from both whole oat groats, steel cut oats and rolled oats.  For a gluten free or grain free muesli, I just substitute the oats for ground linseed and a little chia seed and soak for an hour or overnight as per the traditional recipe.

My muesli gives your body a whopping dose of fibre for a healthy digestive system and  low GI carbs and omega 3 to support a healthy cardiovascular system and sustain the body for long lasting energy. You can fold through natural  yoghurt  which is high in calcium, phosphorous, B vitamins, protein, potassium and a great source of lactobacillus and bifidobacteria  cultures for healthy digestion or alternatively just use what ever type of milk or juice you prefer ( almond, pumpkin seed milk, orange juice)

Serves 1

1 Tablespoon ground linseed
2 teaspoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon goji berries
1 tablespoon cranberries
60  - 80 ml   orange juice or almond milk
1 large grated red apple with the skin
125 g fresh fruit to serve ( strawberries, papaya, pineapple, kiwi)
2 tablespoons  natural organic yoghurt / coconut or a little extra almond milk  to serve

Soak the linseed, chia seed, sesame seed, pumpkin seed, goji, cranberry and sunflower seed  in the orange juice or almond milk for at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
Add the grated apple and fresh seasonal fruit.
Fold through the yoghurt if using or enjoy with extra juice or milk + fresh fruit.

Protein: 13.5 g
Fat: 16 g
carbs: 19.5g
1190 kj / 181 calories
15 g fiber

Comments
23 Responses to “Bircher Muesli – gluten free”
  1. Lauren says:

For this recipe is it just the seeds etc or is there oats used as well? The picture shows oats but the ingredients do not include them.

2. Tammy says:

Love how this has no nuts! First Bircher ever without them! Thanks Teresa

3. Karen says:

This is my type of food. I do mine with sprouted buckwheat and just add blended fruit to keep it gluten and dairy free. This is dessert food as well it is so good.. :)
    thanks Teresa, I love your clean healthy recipes.

4. Sophie says:

Dear Teresa,

I love the recipes for muesli listed here, but notice that none include the quantity of rolled oats to include. If making muesli for one, how much oats and juice should I use? Thank you very much.

• No oats in the recipe Sophie..just seeds and fruit. you can use oats if you want to add…..just 1 tbsp is all you need and this will mix fine with the specified liquid. :)

5. Brooke says:

Any reason for white (over black) chia seeds? Just curious :)

6. Paige says:

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really
    something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

7. Penn says:

I’ve been struggling to find a gluten free museli of any kind that I actually enjoy and this was an absolute treat this morning. Thank you.

8. Catriona says:

I am loving this muesli and so is hubby. Much appreciated.

9. Fiona says:

Could we use flaked quinoa as well?

10. Miriam says:

Love this dish…. but I recalculated the calories in Calorie King, and it came out at over 500 calories per serve going by the above portions?!?!?!

11. Joy says:

Thank you Theresa and the healthy chef crew for this website. It has reinvigorated my cooking and changed the way I feed my family of eight. I am telling everyone I know about it!

12. There are so many seeds and fruits in this recipe that it’s definitely one of the healthiest foods I’ve ever seen. I love the picture and I’m definitely happy with any recipe with organic ingredients in it. This will be a great breakfast for everyone in my family and is something I can add to my current favorites.

13. Edwina says:

Can you make more than one serve at a time and if so how do you store? Thanks

14. Lara says:

Hope your week is going well so far. I’m planning on making this bircher muesli either tonight/tomorrow night :) Have all the ingredients expect cranberries. Is it alright to leave them out? Is there anything you would suggest to add in place of them? Have currants, raisins and dates in my pantry at the moment…x

15. Valie says:

Hi Teresa! My sister makes this now for a change in our usual granola breakfasts. She absolutely loves it. I want to start eating it now however I am a fructose intolerant. What can I use instead of the apple?
    Thanks! x

Trackbacks
  1. [...] Teresa Cutter. Super Warrior Muesli [...]

2. [...] pistachio and Persian feta, serve with pomegranate dressing. Sprinkle pomegranate over your next bircher muesli Add to quinoa and oven roasted vegetables or a Detox energy salad. Make a salsa from fresh [...]

3. [...] CHEF PURELY DELICIOUS PRIMAL RECIPES: Paleo pumpkin bread Gluten free banana bread Power Porridge Bircher Muesli Fish in a Bag Chilli Con Carne Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potato Naked Chocolate Cake Strawberry [...]