Congee

This is a simple and nourishing soup that you can enjoy any time of the day.  It was inspired from my favourite health destination Kamalaya in Koh Samui Thailand.  I regularly make mine with skinless organic chicken thighs but this is the sort of soup you can swap and change to whatever ingredients you have on hand. I also love pouring in lightly beaten egg just at the very end before serving which makes wonderful egg noodles and adds another texture and flavour component that’s delicious.

Traditionally congee is made with rice added to the stock, which helps add density, but what I also like to do is cook my whole grain or seed seperatly which makes it easier to control portions. I also love to switch between using brown rice, quinoa and even whole barley that adds more flavour and a delicate chewiness. The aromatics are really simple, clean and straight forward with just a few drops of toasted sesame oil added at the very end.

Adding a little protein such as the chicken, quinoa and egg will give your body essential amino acids it needs to heal, repair and nourish. The quinoa I’ve used in this recipe will also supply quality carbs to replenish glycogen stores your body needs for energy. Aromatics such as coriander and ginger will act as an anti-viral.

Serves 4

600 g (21 oz) skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)  (see notes)
1 litres (4 cups / 35  1/4  fl oz)  water
1 litre (4 cups / 35  1/4 fl oz) vegetable  or chicken stock
2 cups quinoa  - cooked
2 free range / organic eggs
1 bunch coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger (optional)
1  tablespoon tamari soy sauce – or to taste
white pepper to taste
few drops toasted sesame oil

Combine thighs, water and stock into a large saucepan.
Add ginger at this stage if using.
Simmer over a low heat with a lid on for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken and chop finely with a knife then return back into the stock.
Stir in the beaten eggs and season with soy sauce and a little white pepper to taste.
Divide quinoa into serving bowls and ladle the soup over.
Garnish the top with spring onion, coriander and a few drops of sesame oil.
Serve immediately and enjoy.

Nutrition per serve:

Protein: 33 g
Total fat: 15 g
Saturated: 4.2 g
Carbs: 7.7 g
Kilojoules: 1280

Notes:

• Vegetarians can use organic tofu or sauteed tempeh in place of the chicken.
  • Aromatics such as pandan leaves and garlic can be added to the cooking water.
  • Quinoa can be replaced with brown rice, buckwheat, whole barley or even just extra vegetables.
  • A light sprinkle of fried shallots can be used for extra crunch and texture.
  • A little chilli can be added for a little heat if you like.
  • Duck can also be used in place of the chicken.  You can choose to add it in a raw state at the start of cooking, or just use 100 % stock in place of water and top with BBQ shredded duck when serving.
  • Addition of green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach or kale can be added to this soup 5 – 10 minutes prior to serving.

To Cut down on Cooking time:
Use 100 % stock to replace water.
Use sliced chicken breast in place of thighs….or tofu or beans in vego and simmer for 5 – 6  minutes total cooking time that is needed.
Can be served up in about 10 minutes from start to finish using this method.

Comments
16 Responses to “Congee”
  1. Margaret says:

Ohhh yum. I like your suggestion to use duck!

2. Joanna says:

Is there a herb other than coriander that you would recommend? I can’t stand it, but not sure what else would blend in with the other flavours well.

3. Tracey G says:

I can’t wait to make this. I’m going to try it with 2 of your suggested alternatives to quinoa – barley and buckwheat.

4. I think I just found dinner for tonight, yum. I love sharing your recipes, it is so nice having the story behind it, the suggested variations and health notes. Thank you :)

5. Kelly says:

Could this be done in the slow cooker ?

6. Vicki says:

Is toasted sesame oil different to plain sesame oil? If so, will the standard one suffice?

7. Barbara says:

Thankyou! Sounds and looks delicious!

8. Belinda says:

I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was delicious and suprisingly very filling. I have emailed this recipe to my family to also try. Thanks for a great tasting soup idea :)

9. Syllvia says:

Made this recipe tonight, it was easy to make and really delicious. Theresa your recipes are turning me into a pretty good cook…

10. Amelia says:

Made this tonight & it was delicious, will be passing this recipie on family & friends.

Healthy & lite meal

11. Sharon Dale says:

This was so delicious Teresa but for some reason my eggs didn’t go like yours have in the image above. When I mixed in the beaten eggs, they just remained runny and blended into the soup. When you add them to the pot, is the heat supposed to be on still as I’d turned the pot off to remove and cut up the chicken. The stock was still very hot but maybe I needed to cook the egg mixture a little to make them set. Just curious for when I make it again.

Trackbacks
  1. [...] to your diet which most people probably haven’t made before. So here is a recipe for some Congee from Teresa [...]