Apple + Cinnamon Breakfast Cookie

These little cookies make a portable healthy breakfast or snack that go perfectly with your morning tea or coffee.  I’ve combined my apple + cinnamon porridge  recipe that contains rolled oats, hazelnut, vanilla + muscatel  with a little apple and heart healthy macadamia nut oil to make these delicious cookies. You can pump up the protein by replacing the raisins with omega 3 rich walnuts and make them gluten free by using rolled quinoa in place of the oats. I often stuff a few of these cookies into my cycling jersey to enjoy with my coffee after the ride.

What’s good about them:
Oats are a great source of soluble fiber that fills you up, so you feel fuller for longer.  According to studies, the beta-glucan fiber found in oats can help regulate your appetite for up to 4 hours as well as help lower cholesterol. Cinnamon improves insulin’s efficiency, which helps regulate blood sugar levels. A Swedish study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that inclusion of cinnamon in the diet lowered blood glucose levels.  The amount used was ½ a teaspoon. I’ve also used macadamia nut oil in this recipe which works as an anti-inflamatory and replaces traditional trans fats + margarines found in most store bought cookies.

180 g (6   1/4 oz / 1 full cup ) smashed ripe banana or apple puree (unsweetened)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200 g (2 cups / 7 oz) rolled oats or barley + a little extra for decorating
50 g (1/2 cup / 2 oz) ground hazelnuts ( or if you want to make this nut free – use desiccated coconut)
50 g (2 oz)  rasins
50 g (2 oz) dried chopped apple
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract.
60 ml (2  fl oz /1/4 cup ) macadamia nut, almond or light flavoured olive oil

Preheat your oven to 160 C. 320 F – fan forced.
Combine smashed banana or apple puree, vanilla with the cinnamon, oil and honey.
Add oats, hazelnuts, rasins and dried apple.
Mix together well with your hands, squeezing the mixture together until it starts to bind.
Form into 12 cookies and roll them in some oats for decoration.  I like to use a small ice cream scoop for this, but you can also use a tablespoon or your hands.
Flatten slightly.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden.
Cool and enjoy.
Makes 12 cookies
Will keep for 5 days wrapped in a sealed container.

Protein: 2.8 g
Total fat: 8.7 g
Saturated:  0.8g
Carbs: 20 g
kilojoules: 714
Fiber: 2.4 g
sugars: 10.4 g
Sodium: 2 mg

NOTES: to make these cookies gluten free, use rolled quinoa  in place of the oats.
Alternatively you can also use ground almonds (almond meal) – however you will need to reduce the banana or apple amount to 60 g.
Increase protein by swapping half or all of the dried fruit for chopped walnuts.

Comments
41 Responses to “Apple + Cinnamon Breakfast Cookie”
  1. Caitlin says:

these look amazing like always!
    can i use fresh chopped or grated apple instead of the dried?

2. tara says:

Maybe add chocolate chips in :)

What is your typical breakfast? Love to know.

• Hey Tara – what i eat depends on my activity level for the day – food in season and what I feel like. A power Porridge is always yum – sometimes an omelette or Protein Shake. What I post up weekly is normally what I’m eating at home so I cook it – get hubby to shoot it before we eat it. ! :) x

3. Nicole says:

Thanks Teresa for your amazing recipes and useful information – it is so appreciated. Can you suggest anything I could substitute for the hazelnut or almond meal to make nut free for school lunches that is also wheat free?

4. Lisa (Yrlocalmarkets) says:

Yum! Love your healthy recipes and I also love playing around with them. I’m going to add some goji berries to this recipe to see how they turn out :-)

5. Michelle says:

I am soooo making these on the weekend but with quinoa to make them gluten free :) yummmm I love apple and cinnamon it’s my favourite combo

6. Jodie says:

Yummo. Thanks for these Teresa. I’m definately making a batch this week. I am always on the lookout for healthy snacks for my 15 year old boy – he seems impossible to fill LOL. I’m not a raison fan so I’m thinking I will use dried blueberries instead and some walnuts for the extra protein. :)

7. Jess says:

I cannot WAIT to make these tonight – have been looking for a grab & go breakfast alternative and this will hit the spot. Thankyou!

8. Jane says:

These look lovely, just right at the moment as I have a bunch of bananas ripening fast that I am trying to find uses for, yes I’ve dried them & put some in the freezer for later use.

9. Lisa Ingram says:

I have a banana that needs smashing. Is vanilla bean paste one of the secret ingredients that it’s worth buying? I’ve never used it so excuse my ignorance! Lisa

10. Jo says:

I really love your recipes and have been trying many of them. These cookies sound great. Just wondering if you could use coconut oil instead of nut or olive oil?

Jo

11. Sam says:

Thanks Teresa!. Love this recipe. I will be keeping these in the freezer for school morning teas. I left the honey out of the second batch. This is a great recipe to play around with.
    Made choc chip cookies yesterday using banana, cinnamon, Carmen’s fruit free muesli – (supermarket) (the small amount of sesame seeds make the cookie look quite pretty), dessicated coconut, dark choc chips (instead of the dried fruit), vanilla extract and the macadamia oil.
    Next will try apple/cranberry.

12. David says:

My wife just looked over my shoulder at this recipe and asked why I hadn’t already made these delicious sounding cookies. Roll on tomorrow morning when I’ll actually have time. Can’t wait.

13. Rose says:

I’ve just made a batch with cranberries, dried peaches and 50g of macadaemia nuts……..they smell heavenly!!!!!

14. sonia osborne says:

Is that 1 tablespoon vanilla extract? (.. or 1 teaspoon??)

15. Carol says:

Hi Teresa
    I am dying to try this one and want to use quinoa. I am not sure what rolled quinoa is though. I have organic quinoa and quinoa cereal which looks like flour are either of these ok to use?
    I love your quinoa porridge
    Carol

16. Tracey says:

I made these today and they are divine! I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I used pitted prunes in place of the dried apple and sunflower seeds in place of the hazelnuts. Seriously yummy! Thanks Teresa.

17. Amanda says:

My kids are devouring all cookies and muffins , so nice not to use butter , sugar and calorie laden ingredients we are so predisposed to using .. Great work Teresa !

18. Leigh says:

Hi Teresa – I’m one for sticking to a recipe mostly because I’m not real creative. Would substituting the oil for coconut oil be ok? It would probably change the flavour a bit? Thanks.

19. Briony says:

Here I am following this recipe on my iPad! It looks awesome!

20. leonie kenny says:

these are in the oven right now…the cookie batter was yummy enough to eat as is! ive used dried blueberries and goji berries instead of the dried apple, and took the walnuts over raisins. going to be a great hit at morning tea i reckon…if they make it there! :)

21. Kim says:

Hi – these look great but just wondering if they can be frozen? Cheers
    Kim

22. karen says:

Just made these beautiful :-) doubled the recipe… a handy hint… second tray binded better together due to mixture sitting a while and and absorbing honey etc Thankyou! :

23. Angela Land says:

Just made these and used ‘olive oil’ but as my son allergic to nuts noticed you can use coconut oil. Can I reduce the oil amount a fraction and add more banana or apple. Thanks

24. Jude says:

These disappear rapidly in our house! Now a nut free lunch box staple with craisins and currants. Thanks so much. My boys are allergic to wheat, dairy and soy so when we find something as quick, easy and delicious as these everyone wins!

25. Lexy says:

These cookies were fabulous. I’m relatively new to this style of healthy cooking and previously found that recipes that were good for you tasted…healthy rather than delicious. These cookies were both. I used dried blueberries instead of raisins and coconut oil. They may even inspire my family to try and eat better!!

Trackbacks
  1. [...] These are the more sugary naughty version. If you’d prefer something more G-free, try these apple + cinnamon breakfast cookies from this awesome nutritional chef Teresa Cutter at [...]

2. [...] ♥ Rolled quinoa can replace rolled oats to create gluten free baked goods – for example this delicious Apple & Cinnamon Breakfast Cookie! [...]

3. [...] recipe came from the wonderful website of Teresa Cutter – The Healthy Chef.  Teresa has the most amazing knack for creating unbelievably delicious goodies out of pure, [...]