Blackbean + Sweetcorn Salad

Over the past month, I’ve been a little obsessed with black beans, so I’ve decided to make my purely delicious black bean and sweet corn salad as part of our Christmas feast.  What I love about this salad is that it basically makes a complete meal on it’s own, so perfect if you have any vegetarians in the family.  I also love the fact that this salad holds well and can be made into healthy nachos just by heating up with some crushed tomato and a little cumin – which is what I normally do with any leftovers the next day.  It takes about 5 minutes to make if you don’t have to cook the beans and the lush fiesta flavours just bounce off the taste buds.

Studies show that the health benefits from following a plant based diet include weight loss, diabetes control, lowered insulin secretion, improved sports performance, reduced risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and cancer. They fill you up, without many calories, providing your body with quality nutrients to function at an optimum level. Beans and sweet corn are a good source of protein that’s essential to repair the body and nourish the immune system.  They also contain fibre that helps to delay glucose absorption keeping our blood sugar more stable.

Black pepper improves digestion and has antioxidant and antibacterial effects. I love a good grind of black pepper over any salad. Garlic is linked with everything from helping to fight against cancer and blood clots to raising levels of good (HDL) cholesterol and lowering blood pressure. Garlic also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the severity of illnesses like cold and flu.  It also contains a special compound called allicin, which provides the greatest health benefits – it’s pretty much destroyed in cooking, so try and eat it raw or only lightly cooked.

250 g (8  3/4  oz/ 2 cups) black beans, cooked and drained (see notes)
180 g ( 6  1/4  oz / 1 cup) sweet corn kernels (approx 2 whole corn cobs) raw or lightly steamed are both great.
160 g ( 6  oz / 1 cup) sun-ripened tomato, roughly chopped or cherry tomato, halved
1 bunch coriander, chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
1 avocado, chopped
juice from 2 limes
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 small red onion
Good grind of black pepper
hint of chopped chilli – optional

Combine black beans, sweet corn, tomato, coriander, spring onion, lime juice, garlic, red onion, black pepper and a hint of chilli if using into a large bowl.
Mix well and combine the flavours.
Spoon into a bowl and top with chopped avocado.
Serve and enjoy.
Serves 4

Notes:
To cook black beans, soak 1 cup of dried black beans in plenty of water overnight.  Drain well then place into a pot with plenty of water.  Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain and enjoy…alternatively you can buy tinned organic black beans from most good quality grocers. Use 2 x 420 g tin of drained and rinsed black beans for this recipe.

Nutrition per serve:
Protein: 7.6 g
Total fat: 6.4 g
Saturated: 1.3 g
Carbs: 16 g
Fibre: 6.9 g
Sugars: 1.8 g
Kilojoules: 623

Comments
10 Responses to “Blackbean + Sweetcorn Salad”
  1. I’m going to make this today – will let you know how I go :) I’m going to add some fresh chopped spinach to it as well!! Thanks for sharing, I’ve recently been on a black bean kick as well! :) X

2. Rae says:

wow, that looks delicious! I can’t remember when I last used black beans, so it will be another new experience – really love your super healthy recipes!!! Thank you.

3. Linda says:

Hi Teresa, I’m a new big fan, even though I’ve been to ‘The Healthy Chef’ in Avalon many, many times, I have only just started to cook your recipes. Anyway, here it is Christmas Eve and I’ve decided to make this salad. Do you think I could find black beans on short notice? NO! Black lentils, yes – but I didn’t know, are they the same things? Anyway, I’m substituting chick peas………hope it tastes OK

4. Lisa Ingram says:

So pleased I remembered had cooked up some black beans before Xmas and stuck the leftovers in the freezer. Just chowing down on my own black bean salad (today’s is more a broccoli story) and hey, nice recipe! I shall have that one tomorrow!

5. Kirsty says:

Another gem to add to my arsenal of kick arse TC recipes. Replaced the avocado with goats milk fetta. Yum!

6. Lucy says:

Hi,

I’m having trouble finding black beans!! Does anyone have any suggestions on what other beans could go with this salad?
    Thankyou

7. Kelly says:

I’ve finished dinner – Wow, this salad tastes as delicious as it looks. So fresh, light, tasty and healthy. Best of all I have some left overs – can’t wait for lunch now (and there could be just a little bit of showing off in the tea room! lol).

Just absolutely love your recipes Teresa as they often cater so well for both my vegetarian daughter and coeliac me and if not there’s usually GF or vege variants. Warm thanks. x

8. Sandra says:

Oh wow Teresa, you never fail to impress me. Eden organic black beans tasted yummy in this salad. The combinations of flavours even impressed my husband. We added rocket and chopped snow peas to add more vegetables. Delicious dish.

9. sam says:

Great recipe. We have tried with a few diff beans… Borlotti. Cannolini. Chickpea. Is yum with all!