GET A FULL CHECK UP

Sometimes with our busy work schedules and hectic, stressed out lifestyles, health is the last on the list until a crisis hits. Prevention of disease and illness should be a top priority.  I like a balance of  both natural and medical  - I suppose you could call it integrative or functional  medicine that addresses the whole  person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. It looks at your  genetic makeup, environmental and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex chronic disease.

January is a great time of year to start investing in your own health and looking after yourself properly.  Being healthy takes dedication to work on all aspects of yourself for it to be effective, as I mention in my latest book, 101 ways  to lose weight, it’s also important to keep things in check and know exactly what’s going on with your body inside and out. Imagine your body is like an expensive luxury car or a top of the line sports car – You would insist on using premium fuel in the engine and give your car a regular service to keep it running at peak performance.  Well looking after your health should be exactly the same. keeping your body tuned up and in tip top shape should be your primary goal.

I aim to have a check-up  once a year and I make sure it includes a detailed full-body check that includes extensive blood analysis so that I will be able to rectify any deficiencies— such as iron, folate, B12 and vitamin D as well as hormone imbalances that can affect not only fat loss but also my energy levels and overall wellbeing.
My personal health  checks are done via the Empire Clinic in Perth.

The four key components of a check-up are:

1. Biochemical assessment — blood tests (hormones, vitamins, minerals, cholesterol).

2. Clinical assessment — medical history, blood pressure, breast check, prostate, skin check, physical symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, gastrointestinal issues,headache etc.  The other underlying threat is stress, which can influence both physical and psychological ageing and promotes the early onset of age related diseases.

3. Anthropometric — body fat, bone density, muscle density can be measured in a number of ways. A DEXA scan is normally used for this purpose.

4. Dietary — everything you eat and drink.

Your health professional will be able to advise you of the necessary checks you need.  There are also specialised clinics around the country that specialise in full body health checks (see below).
Please note the list below is just the tip of the iceberg and there are many other wonderful health + wellness clinics that have not been listed. Please feel free to send through any contacts both here in Australia and overseas and I will endeavour to add them to the list.

Remember that everything  you think, eat and drink, as well as your lifestyle, forms the foundations of your health.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Perth – empire clinic  (empireclinic.com.au)
189 Carr Place
LEEDERVILLE WA 6007
(08) 9228 8477

Perth corporate health group (http://www.completecorporatehealth.com)
Level 1, 160 St Georges Terrace
Perth WA  6000
(08) 9226 1898

NEW SOUTH WALES:
Executive Health Solutions (executivehealthsolutions.com.au)

Level 2, 44 Market Street

QUEENSLAND
Wesley Corporate Health - Brisbane
Level 2
46 Edward Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
Tel. (07) 3234 2600

Comments
15 Responses to “GET A FULL CHECK UP”
  1. Chris says:

Teresa, What about a place in South Australia??

2. Elizabeth says:

Can you please recommend a clinic in Adelaide?

3. Jo says:

Just to let you know, you have forgotten the .au on the empire clinic web address…without it you will be taken somewhere completely different!

Great idea too – I’ve wanted a full check up for some time but have realised that GPs are not interested. I’m defintely going to follow this up with a specific clinic.

4. Angela says:

Great suggestion! These can be quite costly. I was lucky to find a naturopath who works under a bulk billing doctor to
    Run biochemical tests for me recently. It gave me piece of mind and point me in the right direction for supplements, eg low iron even though I eat red meat.

• Where did you go Angela ? it would be great to provide people with good places to go and from recommended sources. T:)

• Corinne S says:

I’d love to know where you went too Angela. Just spoke to Empire Clinic and you are right it is costly although I’m sure they offer a great service. If there is a cheaper alternative I would to have the details. Thanks!

5. Sue says:

Fabulous idea that would be great if all employees offered as a staff benefit.

Would be interested to know if anyone can recommend best place to get full check up in or around northern beaches or upper north shore of Sydney.

6. Esta says:

Anyone know of anywhere in Southern Tasmania/Hobart?

7. Lesley says:

My nutritionist sent me to my GP to get a full check up … which he did, but I was disappointed in his complete lack of interest in the results (which included thyroid function on the borderline of abnormnally low). No disease no interest. But what I (and the nutritionist) wanted to get to bottom of was my difficulty shifting and maintaining weight (she was surprised at how little I had lost, after her advice and a damn fine food diary daily over six weeks). Wake up GPs!

8. Hi Teresa,
    This is a very timely article and a public service to your readers. I’m a clinical exercise physiologist and I often hear people saying things like “but I can’t afford a health check.” My response is always the same: you can’t afford NOT to have a health check! I hope your post has an impact and gets more people in for a yearly poke and prod!
    Cheers,
    Bill Sukala,PhD

9. Lisa Ingram says:

Just in the middle of a big checkup. You will be thrilled to note I had a roasted beet salad the day before. Yes, I had to put a post it note in my purple wee sample to tell them not to be alarmed!

10. Kylie says:

I have a GP at Mona Vale who is fantastic – she is very much into preventative medicine & encourages a full check up plus blood screen every year…especially having recently landed on the other side of 40!
    It is very encouraging when all the results come back confirming that the healthy lifestyle we (mostly) lead is paying off!

11. Ngahuia says:

Thanks so much for this helpful info, love your work Teresa