GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR PROTEIN

Each week I receive a lot of emails asking for different ways to incorporate protein supplements into a healthy diet. A quality protein drink made from natural ingredients can replace a meal or snack. It helps curb sweet cravings and can help support the body’s metabolism.

Not all protein shakes are created equal. Become a label reader and look for powders that are natural and not artificially sweetened or full of fillers.  ” See PDF “

SPORTS NUTRITION
In order to train properly and recover quickly you need to look at your chosen activity, how long it lasts, time of day and the nutritional strategy to assist in energy supply and recovery. What you eat and drink before your workout allows the body to train in the best possible condition.

A protein drink immediately after exercise can increase muscle protein synthesis and optimize your recovery process.  Before training it can curb appetite and keep blood sugars stable to get you though your workout in the best physical condition. Consuming your protein shake with water or coconut water is the most efficient choice and the quickest way of enjoying your protein shake. For recovery after your session blend  your protein with mineral rich fruits that can help your body recover properly. My favourite is banana + frozen blueberry + coconut water + 2 scoops of healthy chef protein. Alternatively enjoy a bircher muesli made from rolled oats or LSA, walnuts, a few scoops of protein + banana, blueberry and your choice of milk. Make sure to hydrate properly after your workout to counteract dehydration. Exercise sessions over 1 hour may need additional electrolytes during and after the session to help with recovery. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends you replace 1.5 liters of fluid for each kilogram of body weight lost.

WEIGHT LOSS
Numerous studies have been done throughout the world on the importance of a healthy breakfast. The journal of the American Dietetic Association summarised the results of 47 studies examining breakfast consumption and its role in nutrition, body weight and academic performance. Those who ate breakfast tended to have superior nutritional profiles than their breakfast skipping peers and were less likely to be overweight. The aim is to eat a balanced, healthy, nutrient-rich breakfast including whole foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables and quality protein.

When I blend my smoothies, I often make them up as complete meal replacements combining my protein with Low GI fruits like berries so I get a good intake of antioxidants, protein and fiber to start my day. Studies show that adding strawberries to your meals slowed the insulin responses by delaying the absorption of sugars in the digestive tract. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that increases storage of fat, protein and glucose.  It’s main effect in regard to fat is to block lipolysis (oxidation of fat). Guidelines for weight loss suggest between 80 – 120g of protein per day to aid satiety and for tissue repair.

WELLBEING
A quality protein and vegetable rich diet  is also needed for hormone production such as HGH (human growth hormone) and testosterone. Both play a big role in the health of both men and women. HGH for instance can help boost muscle mass and bone mass as well as reducing fat mass. Including quality protein in your healthy diet can also assist with insulin function and glucose metabolism. Adequate dietary protein intake can also help preserve both muscle and bone mass that can start to decline as we age making us more vulnerable to risk of falls and fracture. It is also required to help nourish our immune system and to help the body repair and recover.

Remember your body is a finely tuned machine that needs the right nutritional balance accompanied with adequate exercise and rest. Getting enough sleep and learning how to control stress also plays a major factor in your overall health and wellbeing.

Comments
21 Responses to “GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR PROTEIN”
  1. Emily says:

Great article Teresa; I’ve always been interested to know more about pre and post workout nutrition. My mouth is watering for a protein smoothie now! :)

2. Jane says:

Regarding protein shakes, I am trying to lose some weight (about 5kg). I am walking daily and going to the gym twice a week, but don’t lift very heavy weights. Is it likely that I need to take protein shakes? And if so what is the difference between the WPI and pea proteins? Which one would be best in my cicumstance if at all?

I recently found your site and am a total convert to your way of cooking and eating. My hubby and I love all your recipes.

Thank you!

• Hey Jane – Ok sounds like you’re on the right track. Check out my protein calculator to work out your requirements – http://www.thehealthychef.com/protein-calculator/….also check out the food sources on the same page. if your diet is perfect and you are getting the right amount of protein you may not even need a supplement.

Both the WPI and Organic Pea are:
      High Protein – Low Carb – Low Fat – Gluten Free – Complete Amino Acid Profile – No Artificial Sweeteners or Chemicals – No Preservatives – No Artificial Flavours – No Fillers – No Thickeners, Gums or Oils – Soy Free – Non GMO – All Natural – Purely Delicious.

The difference between them are as follows:
      Organic Pea – Plant based – Raw – Alkaline – Vegan – Organic – Hypo-Allergenic – Dairy + Lactose Free.

WPI – Grass fed – Cold Filtered / Un-Denatured – Rapid Absorption – Low Lactose

As to what is suited to you well that really depends on your taste and your regular diet – I enjoy both. T:)x

3. Sussan says:

Is there anywhere in Melbourne that is stocking your protein powder?

many thanks
    Best wishes
    Sussan

4. Susan Hoff says:

Not only Melbourne, what about Perth? Is Perth likely to get a TC shop or stockist of your Protein Powders here in the future?

• Hey Sussan – Empire Clinic in Leederville are stocking my protein – you can easily pop in and grab some. 189 Carr Place – Leederville WA..Phone: 08 9228 8477 and more places coming soon. :) x

5. Caitlin says:

Is the healthy chef protein powder suitable as a meal replacement twice a day (only sometimes) for both breakfast and lunch? I usually only use it in my green smoothies for breakfast and have a salad for lunch, but sometimes am short of time and need an on- the- go meal.

Cherers

6. claire says:

I’m 64 and would like to improve my muscle tone. I do some weight training but never seem to get visible results. Would protein powder assist with this, I have a healthy diet, exercise regulary & am in good health.

If protein powder is an option what would you recommend for me please?

Thanks
    Claire

• Hi Claire

Thanks for your email.

Firstly – have a look at my protein calculator to see how much you need.: http://www.thehealthychef.com/protein-calculator/

You may find that you are getting adequate protein without supplementing. The great thing about my protein is that it’s is rapidly absorbed into the body and requires minimal digestion – so it’s a perfect supplement to fill any nutritional gaps in your diet.

When you say weight training – it really depends on frequency – genetics – type of training you do and the length of time you’ve been weight training. With the proper nutrition, quality and regular training and adequate recovery you should be able to see results in 3 months. I have a 70 + year old woman on my protein range at the moment and she has had wonderful results – in her energy levels as well as muscle strength and tone.

The WPI has the highest ratio of amino acids and this is the one I would recommend for you.

The Natural can be mixed into your muesli – porridge – smoothies which is great. The Vanilla WPI is also very delicious.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Teresa Cutter

7. Jodi says:

Hi There- Can pregnant women have this protein powder?

Thanks

8. Just go on line Millie the shop section on my healthy chef web site: you can get it there: https://secure.thehealthychef.com/shop/

9. Tania says:

Hi Teresa

We have just put our 9yr old autistic son on a gluten, casin, sugar and soy free diet. I am really struggling with breakfast. He loves smoothies.. would the pea protien powder be suitable for him?

Thanks

10. tracey preston says:

Hi Teresa
    do any shops in the Canberra region stock your protein powder?
    Thanks
    Tracey

11. Lena says:

As per the question above, I’m also wondering if your WPI and/ or Pea Protein is okay to take when pregnant?

Thank you!

Lena

• Hi Lena – Our protein powder contains no nasties or artificial ingredients and is completely pure and natural so it can be enjoyed by everyone:). It is always recommended to consult your health professional about your healthy diet. Nutrient reference values for protein intake during pregnancy and lactation are 1.1g per kilo of body weight / day which can also be found on my protein calculator on the site. This page also has a list of the best food sources of protein.
      Also check out the Q+A section on this site. T:)

12. Dani says:

Your protein calculator says i should be getting approx. 60g of protein a day. I am getting approx. 80-100g a day. Will this prevent me from loosing weight? I have replaced snacking with protein shakes hence the high protein shakes so i think i am better off calorie wise but maybe i need to tone down my portein portions/serves?

• No at all Dani. Protein intake ideal for weight loss is approx 80 – 120 of protein per day to aid satiety and for tissue repair. If you’re having healthy chef protein drinks as snacks – shake them with water or coconut water. A perfect high protein low cal snack or accompaniment to your lunch time leafy salad. :)