Blueberry Pie Smoothie

I make my blueberry pie smoothie as a quick breakfast or at times blend it up as a night time snack to help satisfy my sweet tooth.  My freezer is always full with frozen blueberries and at times I’ll add a chopped frozen banana for extra creaminess and sustenance.

This smoothie is high in protein, antioxidants, folate, minerals and fibre to support a healthy metabolism. Studies show the blueberries contain antioxidants called polyphenols which are anti-inflammatory to the body and can promote optimum health + vitality. Chia seed or my suggested alternatives pump up the omega 3.  Omega-3  fatty acid is an essential fatty acid, critical for good health and must be obtained from the food we eat. Benefits include helping to lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, improving symptoms of arthritis and improved mental health. (The brain is 60% fat and needs omega 3 to function properly).  Adding in a scoop of protein will complete the meal and help support a healthy metabolism. A touch of cinnamon improves insulin’s efficiency, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.  This smoothie tastes sensational.

150 g (1 cup/ 5  1/4 oz) fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup (250 ml / 8  3/4 fl oz)  coconut water or almond milk or cashew nut milk (see notes)
1 teaspoon chia seeds or flaxseeds (see notes)
pinch ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Pure protein powder

COMBINE all the ingredients into a good high speed blender like a Vitamix.
BLEND until smooth smooth + creamy. Add any boosters or more coconut water if necessary to achieve your desired thickness.
ENJOY.

NOTES:
To change it up a bit try using smashed walnuts or LSA in place of the chia.   They will add a wonderful flavour and texture to your smoothie.

SMOOTHIE BOOSTERS:

• For a creamier smoothie and a potassium boost – add 1 frozen, chopped banana.
  • Use other milks such as pumpkin seed, cashew nut milk, keifir, coconut milk in place of the coconut water.  For a quick nut milk blend your smoothie with water and add 1 tablespoon nut butter.
  • Add 1 tablespoon goji berries a handful of baby spinach or functional super foods for added antioxidants.
  • Add 1/2 – 1  chopped red apple  or 1 whole orange (peeled) for extra fibre to help nourish your digestive system.

PER SERVING:
Protein: 29 g
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Saturated: 0.2
Carbs: 17 g
Sodium: 28 mg
Fiber: 5.6 g
kiilojoules: 876

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW OUR PURE + NATURAL PROTEIN RANGE

brochure pic

Comments
14 Responses to “Blueberry Pie Smoothie”
  1. Jo says:

Can I use fresh blackberries instead?

2. Jo says:

Sorry blueberries

3. Wendy says:

Hi,

What frozen berries do you recommend? Feel like after latest Media reports its hard to know what frozen berries are safe and not full of chemicals regardless of what the packaging says.

4. Meg says:

Would you say this is a main meal or could it be made as a snack?

5. Rae says:

sounds excellent! especially with flax seeds ground up – Teresa, you make such delicious healthy food – you’re an inspiration – and I love the nutritional information you give about the benefits of the various food. Thanks!!

6. Judy says:

How many servings does this recipe make, please?

7. Greer says:

Teresa, what do you think about this news about frozen berries containing banned fungicides/pesticides? Should we be throwing out the berries we have in the freezer?! I’ve been buying Woolworths Select brand for months…

• Hey Greer – Buy local berries or look for berries grown and packed in Australia or from those with stricter food laws such as Canada. You can buy delicious organic frozen berries that are also free from pesticides or buy them fresh when they are in season and freeze them yourself. :)

8. beetique says:

I love your recipes. I made the refried black bean dish tonight. Very tasty and I’m still full!

9. Rachel says:

Hi teresa very excited to receive a container of the organic superfoods but a bit confused about serving size – it says 1 tablespoon (7g) but 7g is closer to a teaspoon isn’t it? Which should I use. Thanks

• 1 tablespoon – it’s not heaped Rachel – just slightly rounded. Let me know what you think – I love this stuff :)

• Rachel says:

It’s amazing Teresa – just adds a berry flavour to my smoothie, very happy (and also loving the protein powders, they dissolve beautifully, taste great and are kind to my stomach).

10. Melanie says:

Teresa,

I have just been on a cooking spree today – I have made your pumpkin bread, protein balls, banana bread and i have now just made this smoothie. I used a frozen banana in it as well as the Goji berries and it is absolutely divine!! I love your recipes, thanks so much for posting up so many!!