Buckwheat Porridge

There is nothing better than my buckwheat porridge scented with vanilla bean, red apple and cinnamon which makes it taste just like apple strudel. I’ve added chia seed for extra goodness and muscatel adds a mild sweetness that makes it purely delicious. I’ve soaked all the ingredients the night before which makes the porridge quicker to cook the next morning – around 3 – 5 minutes. I vary my topping depending on what fruit and nuts I have in the fridge and lately it’s been warm cinnamon roasted figs, a light drizzle of honey and a scattering of walnuts.

Buckwheat is a seed related to rhubarb.  It has a wonderful nutty flavour and is gluten free, low GI and high in amino acids, fiber and essential minerals manganese, magnesium, zinc and copper. The fiber is soluble, which helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels and promote bowel health. Buckwheat is also rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant polyphenols especially rutin, which helps to reduce blood pressure. It contains the amino acid tryptophan which helps to make serotonin – the FEEL GOOD hormone responsible for feelings of wellbeing and feeling great ! Adding chia or flaxseed will boost the omega 3. Health benefits of omega 3 are helping to lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, improves symptoms of arthritis, improves mental health as the brain is 60% fat and needs omega 3 to function properly.  A touch of cinnamon will help to reduce blood sugar.

½ cup roasted buckwheat (kasha  or groats )
2 tablespoons chia seed or flaxseed
1 cup your choice milk (almond, coconut, dairy, rice, soy, seed )
1 cup water (see notes )
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch cinnamon
1 red apple – grated
small handful muscatels or large rasins
Fruit to serve  (see notes for great serving suggestions )

Combine the buckwheat, chia, milk, muscatels, vanilla and cinnamon into a bowl.
Sit overnight in the fridge to allow seeds to soften.
Add 1 grated apple and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until thick and creamy. Add more water or milk if needed.
Serve in bowls topped with your choice of fruit and a little honey.
Serves 2

Serving suggestions:
Cinnamon roasted figs with honey and walnut.
Fresh blueberry + dried goji.
Cinnamon roasted pear with hazelnut.
Oven roasted rhubarb with raspberry + pomegranate molasses.
Baked or fresh banana + a little honey or brown rice syrup.
Roasted hazelnut then pour over extra steaming hot milk.
Fresh jewels of pomegranate, a good squeeze of the juice + pistachio.
pump up the protein and stir through a few tablespoons of natural protein powder.

Notes:
Replace extra cup of water with 1 cup your choice milk for a creamier porridge.

Nutritional info per serve

More warm porridge recipes:
Chia Porridge with pear, cinnamon + vanilla
Paleo Porridge
Oatmeal Porridge
Quinoa porridge
Gluten free apple + cinnamon Porridge

Comments
30 Responses to “Buckwheat Porridge”
  1. Oooo, this looks gorgeous! Right that’s it, I’m trying it. Thanks for sharing.

2. Rae says:

Teresa, that sounds totally delicious!! I just happen to have some buckwheat too – but could use same style with rolled oats – blessings!!

3. Ai Mie says:

What great timing Teresa! I just bought some buckwheat grouts a few days ago to try to make some buckwheat granola. But this recipe sound equally as delicious! Just wondering though, I have raw buckwheat grouts not roasted. Does this matter? Or do I need to roast them in the oven first? Thanks again for your wonderful recipes! xx

• The only difference you’ll see is in the flavour and texture. Roasted has a slightly nutty flavour and a little more crunch. I prefer the flavour of roasted but you can use the other. It will still be delicious as your adding aromatics such as vanilla, cinnamon, apple etc :) x

• Ai Mie says:

Thanks for the reply Teresa! I might try making it from both raw buckwheat grouts and from roasting them first to see which I like better. I’m sure they’re both delicious!

4. Tiffany says:

Where do you purchase your roasted buckwheat from?

5. Hayley says:

This sounds delicious, and so simple! When I’ve soaked buckwheat in the past, it becomes very gluggy. Do you rince the buckwheat and seeds after soaking them overnight, or do you include the residue that forms? I’m not sure if the residue harmful or defeats the purpose of soaking grains to improve digestability if I end up consuming it?
    Any advise would be great!
    Thanks,
    Hayley

• Hey Hayley – don’t drain after soaking. Just put it straight on the stove. The reason why it starts to gel is from the soluble fiber from both the buckwheat and chia seeds. You will love it. :)

• Mariam says:

Hayley, buckwheat only goes really gluggy when soaked if it’s raw, but not when it’s roasted as the recipe calls for, I’d recommend rinsing if you use raw x

6. Bek @ Crave says:

This sounds delicious! I like your idea of soaking it the night before so it’s quick to cook the next day- brilliant!

7. Lyf says:

Thank you for another simple & wonderful recipe. Your updates hasn’t bee as frequent and I was starting to miss you,

8. dopey says:

Thanks for your recipes Teresa. I have steel cut oats at home in my pantry. Would I soak them overnight the same way you have outlined in the recipe for the buckwheat?
    Also, to save time in the morning could you grate the apple and prepare the porridge to just reheat in the morning – or does it get gluggy?

• Yes you can soak your steel cut oats in the same manner. Add the grated fruit just before cooking – if your porridge gets gluggy – add more water or milk and it will be perfect. :)

9. denise says:

Hi, just wondering what sort of vanilla you use in this recipe? I used vanilla extract, but found it a little strong/alcohol smelling.

10. Jennifer says:

Hi teresa

This recipe looks great. I normally have oats at work for breakfast. I am keen to give this ago. Any chance you can heat in the microwave or do I need to save for weekends. Also could you make a batch for the week?

Also your site is great. I have just discovered it. Your cauliflower soup rocks. Made my second batch tonight. Great with Tabasco.

Thanks

• Yes you can re-heat – just add a little more milk or water when doing so. :) x

• britta says:

Re time saving – I had bought a small slow cooker (1.5quart Portable Oval Slow Cooker from Rival for $14 in USA) mainly for breakfast purposes. The day before I put ALL of the ingredients in there. This way the grains and seeds get lots of time to pre-soak.Since my slow cooker does not have a timer, I bought one and plugged the cooker into it. Now you can easily set the time you want it to come on. In my case, I have the cooker set on ‘low’ cooking (it has only 2 settings: high or low), and have it come on at 1hr in the morning.
      For this recipe I would add the grated apple right in, perhaps with a touch of lemon juice to prevent browning of it. I would also add 1-2 teaspoon ghee.
      Thanks for all the wonderful recipes. I especially love the explanations why the chosen ingredients are so good for you!

11. Sophie says:

I roasted my buckwheat yesterday (just googled it to find out how) and then made this this morning. Delicious! Thanks Teresa for another lovely recipe. Your recipe emails are the only subscription ones that I always love!
    Cheers, sophie

12. Kelly says:

I have made this 5 out of 7 mornings this week, simply delicious! I have banana, goji berries, dried apricots and then drizzle a little maple flavoured agave on top…yum!! thanks for the great recipe :)

13. Tess says:

I made this porridge this morning – it was absolutely delicious. Before I was diagnosed with coeliac disease, over ten years ago, I loved porridge made from oats and whilst I regularly make and enjoy porridge made from rice or quinoa flakes they just don’t quite have that satisfying ‘porridge-ness”, however this recipe does.

14. Ruth says:

Hi Theresa,

Just wondering if this is a microwave friendly recipe. As I have to leave the house really early to get to work, i usually take my pre-soaked oats to work in a glass jar and pop them in the microwave. However I’m looking for a gluten free option which is work/microwave friendly.

15. Tracy-lee says:

Mmmmm Your buckwheat porridge sounds and looks amazing, will definitely be making some this weekend.

16. Nicole says:

HI Teresa, can you confirm the liquid quantities – is it 2 cups of liquid for 1/2 cup of buckwheat groats? I tried with this quantity (only soaking it in 1 cup milk overnight and adding 1 cup water for cooking) and it seems to take ages to cook to get to a porridge-y consistency. I am using raw buckwheat – any advice? Should all the liquid go in at the beginning?

I love your website by the way, has really helped me go gluten free with so many yummy healthy options!

17. Maree says:

Hi Teresa.
    Just had my 1st serve this morning. Absolutely amazing. Easy recipe easy prep.

Thanks for such an amazing website. I have just gone wheat free looking forward to trying more recipes.

18. Sherie says:

Beautiful; loved the lovely nutty texture. Served mine with fresh blueberries an goji berries. Very filling. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Trackbacks
  1. [...] Buckwheat Porridge: GF, DF, V. Double the recipe and eat off this all week! [...]