Bubble + Squeak

I remember mum cooking bubble + squeak for all of us when we were kids. It was basically all the leftover veggies from the night before cooked up in a hot cast iron pan until lovely and golden with lots of crispy bits that tasted amazing.  Well I love to follow a little family tradition and often make bubble + squeak at home when I want some warm and healthy comfort food.  It’s not leftovers by any means, I make it from scratch 15 minutes from beginning to end,  cooked in a pan then topped with a lightly fried organic egg.  A wonderful simple dinner or hearty brunch that makes you feel warm and cozy all over.

Traditionally bubble + squeak is made with a base ingredient of potato, but I prefer to use a combination of thin sliced cauliflower, fennel and leek. This dish is so versitile and can be served so many different ways.  I often thow in some sliced cavolo nero during the cooking and I make sure to season will with lots of freshly ground pepper. You can top the finished dish with a lightly fried or poached organic egg or choose to serve it with your choice of pan roasted or steamed fish drizzled lightly with a good squeeze of lemon.

What’s great about it:
Fennel is the perfect vegetable for digestive support and can help with gastrointestinal disturbances such as indegetion or bloating. Cauliflower is rich in sulphur that works as an anti-inflammatory that can support digestion and boost your immune system. Leeks are part of the veggie family called Allium Vegetables, the same as garlic and onions. They contain the flavonoid kaempferol that can help protect the body from oxidative stress. The combination of all these veggies also act like pre-biotic in the digestive system that help to stimulate the favorable growth and activity of the good probiotic bacteria.

1 leek, halved, washed and thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb – ( 200 g/ 7 oz) thinly sliced
1/2 small cauliflower (400 g / 14 oz) thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt + ground black pepper to taste
Fresh thyme – few sprigs left whole
2 organic / free range eggs

Combine leek, fennel and cauliflower into a pan with the olive oil.
Season with a little sea salt and pepper then add the thyme.
Cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes – tossing the pan every few minutes, so that the veggies cook evenly and start to crisp up nicely in the pan.
When the veggies are ready, lighly pan fry the egg in a seperate pan over a low – medium heat, making sure that the yolk is still lovely and runny.
Serve the bubble + squeak in the pan or on individual plates topped with organic egg.
Serves 2 or 1 hungry man.

Optional Extras:

• Finish with a little grated Parmigiano
  • Add a handful of shredded kale / cavolo nero at the beginning of the cooking process
  • Squeese over a little lemon at the end of cooking and fold through rocket leaves
  • Add baby zuchini or thinly sliced brussel sprouts
  • Use potato (cooked with skins and sliced or smashed)  in place of cauliflower
  • Serve with pan roasted fish or baked fish and a drizzle of lemon

Nutritional info per serve:
Protein: 14.1 g
Total fat: 15.8 g
Saturated: 3 g
Carbs: 9.7 g
Sugars: 9.3 g
Fibre: 8.1 g
kilojoules: 988

Comments
14 Responses to “Bubble + Squeak”
  1. Hollie says:

Yum!I make a similar one using pureed cauiflower, shallots, green beans and mushrooms. Add it all to the pan and fry up. Its very comforting and taste delicious.

2. Nicole says:

So simple, looks amazing, will definitely be cooking this next week. Love your recipes Teresa, thanks.

3. Lisa says:

I grew up on bubble and squeak! My nan and pop used to have a hot breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning and we always had bubble and squeak from the leftover veges. Ours was probably a little less gourmet….lots of potato, pumpkin, squash etc or whatever my pop was growing in the garden at the time. I still love it but can’t get the super crunchy base my pop used to get! Possibly the lack of a huge amount of butter and the use of a non-stick pan. Still delicious though.

4. Eva says:

Hi Teresa. Thank you for you ongoing recipes and for the wonderful protein powder and super food. I incorporate them into the family smoothies or mix through yogurt with berries. The kids particularly like the taste of the Super food powder!
    Just wondering what was under the egg in your picture. Thanks Eva

5. Sally says:

I have many fond memories of my Dad cooking up Bubble and Squeak for my Sis and I on the weekends. Yum, it was one of my favourite meals and I can’t wait to try your version. I have always wondered where the name Bubble and Squeak came from???

6. Lyndal says:

Yum, I have just made this for lunch.. its amazing!! Thank you for your recipes x

7. Kate says:

Hi Teresa, love your recipes.
    I have an allergy to cauliflower, what do you recommend would be a good substitute in this recipe?

8. Lyn says:

I’ve never had this dish before and I had actually never heard of it. Reading your recipe however I think it’s something I would definitely like to try. I like the way you use cucumber and organic eggs rather than potatoes. It’s a lot healthier and I think it would taste just as good if not better.

9. Will says:

Hello Teresa I am having bubble and squeak today for lunch and I have had it for breakfast quite alot aswell and where has the name ‘bubble+squeak’ came from

10. Gee says:

Made for dinner tonight. Delicious. Thank you.