Pumpkin Scones

pumpkin scones

This is my secret recipe for pumpkin scones that you’ll absolutely love. I would recommend roasting 1 large pumpkin so that you can also use it to make a variety of meals such as a warming pumpkin soup.  There is a secret to making perfect scones – it all depends on how you combine and handle your dough.

Dry ingredients must be combined thoroughly before any moisture is added. Make sure your spelt flour, sea salt, cinnamon and baking powder are mixed through perfectly. After you add your combined smashed pumpkin mixture it’s important to mix lightly until the dough just combines. You’ll have a slightly sticky soft dough – but this is perfect and will create a light scone dough.

After cutting into rounds, make sure you bake them straight away in a preheated oven, this is because the activation from the bicarb has already started to take place so you need to be as quick as possible. Bake them  until they are golden and just cooked – you can test this by gently touching the top of the scone or by inserting a skewer in the middle of one scone to see if they are cooked through. These lush scones will last at room temperature for about 2 – 3  days and they freeze extremely well. Enjoy  xx.

Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants that help fight stress and boost the immune system. Spelt is an ancient grain that is related to wheat, but has a lower gluten content so it’s kinder to the digestive system. It’s a good source of protein and has around 20 %  more protein + up to 65 % more amino acids than traditional wheat flours. Wholemeal spelt as well as the oats are a good source of fibre, so it can help keep you regular as well as help in lowering cholesterol. These make a great snack or light meal, perfect to refuel glycogen stores before a hard training session. I love to top mine with a little macadamia nut butter and manuka honey.

250 g (1 cup / 8  1/2 oz ) smashed roasted pumpkin  - see notes
225 g (2 cups / 8 oz) wholemeal spelt flour
80 g (1/2 cup /3 1/2 oz) sun-dried fruit  - I used raisins ( see notes )
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of  salt
2 teaspoons baking powder (see notes)
60 g (2 oz) butter melted or cold pressed macadamia nut or coconut oil
1 tablespoon manuka honey or pure maple syrup (optional)
100 g (1 cup/ 3 1/2 ) oats for rolling

Preheat your oven to 180 C.
Combine  spelt flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
Add raisins and mix through.
Combine smashed roasted pumpkin with the manuka honey and melted butter.
Add smashed pumpkin mix to the flour.
Combine gently with your fingertips until a soft dough forms and mixture is combined.
Scatter the oats on the base of your chopping board then scoop out your scone dough onto the oats.
Flatten out the pumpkin scone dough to about 5 cm,  scattering some extra oats on the top if you need to so it doesn’t stick.
Cut the scones into rounds using a cutter.  To stop the dough sticking, dip the cutter into a little flour in between each one.
Place the scones onto a baking tray – you should get about 10 lovely scones.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Serve warm or at room temperature. (see serving suggestions)
Makes 10 scones.

Nutritional info per scone:
Protein: 4.2 g
Total fat: 7.4 g
Saturated: 1.1 g
Fibre: 4 g
Carbs: 28 g
Sugars: 8.7 g
Kilojoules: 824

Serving Suggestions:
Enjoy plain and simple with a cup of green or chai tea.
Enjoy topped with almond or macadamia nut butter.
Enjoy topped with a little manuka honey.
Top with whole fruit jam and ricotta.

Baking powder recipe:
1 part bicarb soda (baking soda)
2 parts cream of tartar
Combine well – sieve together and store in an airtight tin.
Use as required.

Notes:
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda) can be used in place of the baking powder – you will need to activate by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

Dried or fresh blueberries can be used in place of the raisins.

To make smashed roasted pumpkin – Cut raw – peeled pumpkin into chunks and coat lightly with a little olive oil, ground cinnamon and sea salt. Roast for 45 minutes in a moderate 180 C oven until caramelised. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Smash with a fork and use as required.

For gluten free scones check out my almond + vanilla scones HERE.

Pumkin Scone Graded 2-4939

Comments
26 Responses to “Pumpkin Scones”
  1. Madz says:

Hi Teresa – is it possible to substitute the spelt flour for quinoa flour or coconut flour? Thanks. Madz :)

2. Sue says:

Looks just lush! I have such a glut of pumpkins at the moment too. Thanks so much. Can’t wait to try!

3. jessie says:

thank you for the information especially activating the bicarb soda with citrus or apple cider vinegar, will try with pumpkin soup.

4. Carin says:

I love pumpkin, I love scones, I love vegan options, I love baking in winter, I love Teresa’s recipes! Thank you.

5. Ai Mie says:

Wow Teresa! These look so delicious and warming especially for winter. I can’t wait to make these healthy treats for my yoga class next week! Thanks for the wonderful recipe. xx

6. Cathie says:

These look really good Teresa. Do you have a grain free/paleo substitute for the flour. I adore pumpkin and would love to make some scones with it! Thanks

7. Angie says:

Wow these are lovely. I rarely bake because I don’t do it well. But I had a lot of pumpkin in my veggie box this week and liked the look of this recipie and OMG are they lovely. Tx ill be sharing with lots of others, your recipie that is, the scones are all for us, this time:)

8. Natalie says:

I just made these using 1 cup buckwheat and 1 cup brown rice flour (had to add some rice milk to bring together) and they are delicious. Thanks Teresa!

9. Natasha says:

These are so delicious and what wonderful ingredients! The kids loved them .. I think they’ll be a regular in our home. Your approach and recipes have very much changed our family’s eating for the better.

10. Michelle says:

Wow thanks for this recipe! I just popped mine in the oven. It’s been so enjoyable making these for my Sunday afternoon bake-fest. I can’t wait till their ready so I can try!

11. Laura K says:

These were absolutely divine!! I will most definitely be making them again – they were easy and fun to make and everyone adored them. Thanks Teresa!

12. Chris says:

You probably hear this all the time but I have to add my thanks. Discovering your site is the best thing that’s ever happened to my health. I live on your recipes now and I feel like you are literally saving my life! And in such a delicious manner. So, thanks!

13. Claire says:

Another delicious Teresa Cutter treat! Thanks so much for sharing.

14. Leah says:

This recipe is truly wonderful. I used dates as the dried fruit component and quinoa flakes instead of oats. Its really so delicious, better than any of my old wheat scones I used to make before allergy days. Thank you so much for this recipe.

15. Emily says:

These were lovely, I used sultanas, my fussy toddler loved them

16. Elizabeth says:

I made these for the third time today. I made a few changes each time and today was my favourite so far. I’m sure they would be even better with fresh roasted pumpkin, but I used canned for convenience. I used
    398ml canned pumpkin puree
    2 cups spelt flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup chopped dates
    2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 (or 1/2?) tsp fine sea salt (sorry can’t remember for sure)
    3 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup melted butter
    3 tablespoons honey

They were a bit moister than other scones I’ve had, but I really liked them.

17. farnaz says:

I made this tonight, it was amazing. Although my dough was very sticky? i had to use a lot more spelt flour, but in the end it turned out great!

thanks for the recipe

18. Vi says:

Hi, is 180 degrees for a fan-forced oven?
    Thank you for this recipe, can’t wait to try it! :)

19. Steph says:

Just wondering if these would be suitable to freeze after baking?

20. GiGi says:

Hi Teresa -love your recipes! Could you use extra virgin olive oil in place of the butter/coconut oil as I am allergic.

21. Beck says:

Im eating these warm from the oven right now, yum!!

22. Katherine says:

If there is no spelt flour in the pantry can you use normal flour and if so is it plain or self raising?

23. Hi just discovered your brilliant recipes