Fisherman’s Board – Sardine Bruschetta

fishermans board sardine

If you want a budget friendly healthy meal that takes just 2 minutes to make – you can’t go past my fisherman’s board  Sardine Bruschetta. I always have a few tins of sardines in the pantry and the secret to preparing it lies in the aromatics you use. Lemon and chopped parsley adds freshness and a good grind of black pepper completes this purely delicious simple meal. I sometimes add a little green chilli and serve along side a sun-ripened tomato salad or bowl of leafy greens.

Sardines are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that are anti-inflammatory to the body and critical for good health. They are essential fats that must be obtained from our diet. Omega-3s support the body’s health in every way and vital in the fight against diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Omega 3′s help to lower cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure, nourish the immune system and reduce symptoms of arthritis and depression. Sardines are also a great source of complete protein to repair and sustain lean muscle. Sardines are also rich in Vitamin D3 that has many roles in the body such as secretion and regulation of insulin by the pancreas, protecting the heart, blood pressure regulation, improving immune function, reduced inflammation, improved muscle strength and increased brain activity.

Serves 1

Time it takes: 2 minutes

1 small tin sardines (see notes)
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 spring onion, sliced or a little red onion that’s finely diced
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice and a little zest
generous grind of black pepper
Slice of avocado (optional) or green tomato salsa
baby spinach or watercress
1 slice rye sourdough or your choice of bread

Empty the tin of sardines into a small bowl.
Add parsley, lemon juice, zest and a little pepper.
Mix through well, smashing the sardines a bit.
Toast the rye and place onto a serving plate.
Top with, greens, sliced avocado or salsa and smashed sardines.
Serve immediately and enjoy. Serve with extra lemon on the side.

Notes:
Add olives  or capers and serve with a shaved fennel salad.
Use wild salmon in place of the sardines.
Use coriander (cilanato) lime and chilli in place of the parsley and lemon and avocado. To make the green tomato salsa combine 1 green tomato with a little finely diced green chilli, lime juice, coriander and shallot.
Serve with a hard boiled organic egg.
Sourdough can be omitted

Nutritional info per serve:
Protein: 22 g
Total fat: 12 g
Saturated: 2.9 g
Carbs: 18 g
Fibre: 3.4 g
Iron: 4.2 mg
kilojoules: 1130

Comments
13 Responses to “Fisherman’s Board – Sardine Bruschetta”
  1. Mary says:

Hi – do you have any recommendations on what to look for when buying canned sardines? Thans

2. Carissa says:

Teresa, that bread looks amazing! Where did you get that from?

3. David says:

Wow! That is right up my alley. Delicious and just so good for you. And being something of a sardine buff I notice you have some pretty superior minnows pictured in the can there. Definitely my go-to breakie, brunch and post workout snack with loads of protein. The smoked ones from Eastern Europe are really really nice, too. But I’m with you on the healthier springwater ones. Thanks for posting and inspiring :)

4. Erin says:

Hi Teresa, looks and sounds great, although being a vego I don’t eat sardines. Any suggestions?

5. Jen says:

Hi Teresa! Do you recommend draining sardines packed in olive oil? Someone mentioned to me that when sardines are in oil some of the omega 3′s end up in the oil. I prefer them in oil and just consume the olive oil but I guess thats extra calories. Any thoughts?

• Hi Jen – Yes I drain my sardines in olive oil other wise they are just way too oily…..Fresh sardines also work, just lightly saute with lemon juice, olive oil and parsley – smash and enjoy. T:) x

6. Belinda says:

what a find! thank you so much for that (and to Lisa as well for the Vital Choice info). I always avoided sardines… I don’t know why. I thought they would taste horrible – too “fishy”. But this is brilliant. I’ve been eating this 3 times a week for the last fortnight for lunch at work. absolutely delicious. :)

7. Emily says:

What a fantastic recipe! I love sardines but don’t tend to think of them when coming up with lunch ideas. Was very simple to make at home and easy to pack and prepare fresh for work. I have eaten it for lunch the last couple of days and it will definately become a regular – great way to introduce some extra Omega-3 into the diet.