Spinach and Ricotta Pie (pastry crust version)

This is my favorite GLUTEN FREE spinach and ricotta  pie recipe that I created for my husband Paul who loves his pies.  It’s low GI and high in omega 3 and complete protein to fuel your body with essential nutrients for health and wellbeing. The pie will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.  You can eat hot or cold.

Leafy greens such as spinach  are the greatest food around and an excellent source of vitamins minerals and fibre. The darker the leaves the more nutrients it contains.

Ricotta is a good source of protein, which encourages muscle growth and repair. Protein will also supply your body slow-release energy to drip-feed your muscles after a workout. Cottage cheese  is also fantastic if you don’t have ricotta. TO MAKE IT DAIRY FREE substitute the ricotta for smashed white cannelini beans blended with a little roasted garlic and hint of olive oil.  They make a great replacement for the ricotta in the recipe and are high in protein and fiber to help lower cholesterol, make you regular and keep blood sugars stable.

My pastry is made from health giving ground almonds and linseeds. Almonds are packed full of protein + good monounsaturated fats that can help lower cholesterol and keep you fuller for longer. They are also a great source of Vitamin E that research suggests can slow premature cellular ageing.  Linseeds are full of omega 3 which your body must obtain from the food we eat.  A diet high in omega 3 can help support your metabolism, lower insulin levels, decrease appetite, accelerate the loss of body fat, elevate mood, stabilize blood sugar levels, maintain healthy serotonin levels, increase energy levels, increase the health of the immune system. Omega 3 also helps stimulate the secretion of leptin which is a hormone that is produced by fat cells in the body.  Elevated leptin levels help to suppress the appetite and burn any stored fat held within our fat cells.

Serves 12

PASTRY BASE

400 g ground almonds
3 tablespoons ground linseed
3 organic / free range eggs
pinch sea salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Combine almonds linseeds, sea salt, eggs and oil into a mixing bowl and mix through using your hands until you form a lovely dough.  Roll out into a round shape between 2 sheets of baking paper then line a 25 cm pie plate that has been lightly brushed with olive oil and coated in almond meal to prevent sticking. Should look like this:

FILLING

500 g spinach leaves
2 leeks sliced or onions sliced
pinch black pepper and sea salt
pinch nutmeg
handful fresh basil, sliced
400 g fresh ricotta cheese

In a large deep pot, saute onion or leek until soft over a low to medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive or grape seed  oil.  Add spinach leaves – you may have to add in 2 batches if spinach doesn’t fit it, but that’s cool.  Season with a little sea salt, pepper, nutmeg and basil. Cook only until spinach has wilted then remove from the heat and drain out any excess liquid.

Add the ricotta and mix through until combined.  Now remember if you want to make this dairy free use cooked cannelini beans in place of the ricotta and puree with roasted garlic and a little olive oil.  fold this through the spinach.  Ricotta however gives a lovely creaminess to the pie and mellows out the spinach.

Spoon the filling into the pastry lined pie shell and bake for 35 – 45 minutes in a moderate 180 C oven until golden.

Serve alone or with a baby spinach salad drizzled with aged balsamic and enjoy.

Comments
47 Responses to “Spinach and Ricotta Pie (pastry crust version)”
  1. irene says:

This looks devine & I cant wait to make this tomorrow! :-))

2. The pastry base recipe looks great I am going to try that.

Gavin

3. Anneliese says:

Firstly I love your recipes, so thank you for sharing them! Also, can you substitute almond meal for ground almonds? If not, where do you buy ground almonds?

Thanks!

4. Jess says:

Hey Teresa, I love all your recipes!! I was wondering if you wanted to make a “pastry” to cover the top of a pie (instead of using puff pastry) would you use this same recipe or would you do something different. Thank you!!!

• Hi Jess the Pie really doesn’t need any more pastry – it’s just over kill. You are better off decorating the top with some lovely rocket leaves, baby spinach tossed in a little cold pressed olive oil and lemon juice. Keep it fresh. :)

5. jess says:

AMAZING RECIPES. all of them!!! seriously good work.

6. nak says:

I was wondering if it was possible to provide the breakdown of this meal, per serve:
    Protein: g
    Carbs: g
    Total Fat: g
    Saturated: g
    Kilojoules:
    Calories:

Thanks :- )

7. nak says:

Are you able to provide the nutrition breakdown of this meal per serve:

Protein: g
    total fat: g
    saturated: g
    Carbs: g
    kilojoules:
    Calories:

Thanks :-)

8. Liz says:

Teresa,
    Do you need to cook the pastry base first like normal wheat pastry?
    Thanks
    Liz

9. Nadia says:

Hi,
    My husband is allergic to eggs, any other ideas for the base?

Thanks,
    Nadia

10. Kylie says:

Just wondering if its ok to freeze?

11. Ellen says:

Can you also use silver beet or any roasted veggies instead of the spinach? Thank you :)

12. Sandra says:

Maybe silly question. Do I grind 400g of almonds or do I use almond meal?

Today i used almond meal. It was delicious. Wondering if grinding almond would be better.

Sandra

13. Lauren says:

I’ve only just discovered your website and this was the first recipe I tried. It was fantastic!! The best spinach and ricotta pie I think I’ve ever tasted! I will definitely be making it again and again.

Thanks for such wonderful, health-full recipes. You’re very generous with your knowledge and experience. I’ve always had an interest in nutrition and so far all of the recipes I’ve checkout tick all of the boxes!

Thanks,
    Lauren.

14. Robyn says:

Hi,
    Absolutely love your recipes! Your healthy chicken burgers are too die for!
    I am a little confused, did you use baby spinach in the pie, or spinach?
    In the pictures it looks like you used aby spinach, but then later on you mention baby spinach for a side salad.

Many Thanks

• Hey Robyn – you use spinach in the filling…I used baby spinach, but you can use the larger English spinach if you like. The side salad can be made from any leafy green. :)

15. Bec says:

Hello,
    Just wondering it this would freeze ok? It looks so yum, but I’d never eat it all!

16. Wendy says:

Teresa your website is awesome just what I’ve been looking for full of just the type of foods and recipes I have been trying to cook for years. I was recently diagnosed with heart failure after a bout of flue attacked the heart muscle sadly I’m stuck with the result but will continue following healthy diet. I have to watch my sodium intake and have trouble finding substitutes for cheese any ideas?

Love the site

17. Cherie says:

Hi Teresa, this has to be the best spinach & ricotta
    Pie l have ever tasted!! My hubby can’t get enough
    Of it!! Could you use the pastry for a sweet pie?
    Thanks for all your lovely recipes..
    Cherie xx

18. May says:

Great recipe! I made it last night and my husband and I really enjoyed it. Just wondering if you could provide the sugar & sodium content for one serving?

Thanks!
    May

19. Christiane says:

Brilliant recipe, thank you! I would have never thought that it is that easy to make a great pastry with almond flour and linseed! My whole family loved it!

20. allie says:

I made this then the oven failed!! I hope it keeps in the fridge so I can bake it at my Mums!!

21. allie says:

I just noticed the pie calorie breakdown was for 12 servings. We ate a quarter of the pie for a main which according to my calculations in a huge 900 or so calories in one serving. Is this correct?
    Cheers.

22. Claire Thomas says:

Hi Theresa, I was thinking about using this pie crust just as a topper (no bottom) do you think it would work?
    Cheers
    Claire

23. Clare says:

Hi Teresa, love this recipe but need to make it midweek.
    Is it possible to make it in advance the day before, keep it in the fridge, then bake the next night?
    Thanks

24. Joanne says:

Hello – I made this yesterday for lunch and my family just yummed it up. There was plenty of pastry and filling for a few tartlets as well so enjoying for lunch today too. I was skeptical about the pastry but it rolled out fine and was easy to re-roll. I even made 2 mince pies and they were delicious — so generous of you to share, thank you

25. Liz says:

Hi Theresa, I’m relatively new to your site. I must say I absolutely love it!!
    Your recipes are genuinely healthy and nutritious. I’m after a healthy recipe for
    A Chicken and Leek Pie. I would like the pie to have a pastry base and top, with the
    Option of gluten free. As the filling for a pie generally contains more liquid, will this recipes
    base work for a pie also? Thank you x

26. Rania says:

Hi Teresa I’ve made the pastry exactly the same except I have substituted the almond and linseed for organic whole meal spelt.
    The dough is resting and I was not sure whether I should cook it before I put the filling In or just go along with the recipe.

27. Jan Moran says:

Hi Theresa, just came across your website when I was looking for the best way to cook quinoa. I have cancer and am losing weight so want to gain weight. I also lack energy. I am guten intolerant so was wondering if your Organic WPI would still be able to be taken? Thanks, Jan.

28. Rachel says:

Hi Teresa- have you ever tried making this pastry base with the pulp left over from making almond milk? Do you think it would work? Thanks
    Rachel

29. claire says:

Hi

Is there a nut free option for the pastry ?

30. Yvonne says:

Hi Theresa,
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ve just found out I’m sensitive to most grains, wheat being the worst of the lot. Finding recipes that are a balance between being healthy for me, tasty enough for my husband, yet not time consuming has been tricky. I made this on the weekend and it was so delicious we loved it. The base is just such a simple & yummy recipe, and versatile – with the left over dough I put it in the oven and made some crackers out of it. Delicious to snack on or with cheese, and very filling. Thank you so much for all your work, it’s truly appreciated and look forward to trying more of your recipes. :):):):)

31. Janet says:

Another successful Healthy Chef recipe (have not found one that I don’t like!) – am becoming addicted to this website ….. My husband and I both loved this recipe and I have enough pastry left over for another meal. I have found a few ideas from this comments page – great!

32. Kerrie says:

Teresa, your recipes are delicious. I love it how everything is healthy and you always substitutes for ingredients that people can’t tolerate. I don’t count calories, just happy to eat healthy

33. Joanne says:

Made thhis last night and was a big hit. Even the non spinach lovers liked it, son went back for seconds. Thanks for such a great simple recipe. Will be a regular now

34. joanne malcarne says:

Wow. I can’t believe I found your web site. Thank you, thank you for your delicious recipes.
    I can’t have grains or dairy. Thank you for giving the substitute of use beans.

35. Carolyn says:

Thanks for this recipe it is so delish, I added 2 eggs and some Parmesan Chees to the filling as I had low fat ricotta Chees it was very tasty and I will be making this again.
    Thanks again.
    Carolyn

36. Caroline says:

Hi, just wondering if I could freeze the pastry? I have more than i need and don’t want to waste it.
    Thank you.

Trackbacks
  1. […] https://www.thehealthychef.com/2011/03/spinach-and-ricotta-pie/ Share this:EmailTwitterFacebookMoreRedditPrintStumbleUponDiggLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]