Raw Chocolate Cupcakes

You asked for it – so here it is.  My recipe for no-bake  chocolate cupcakes made with nutrient dense walnuts and cacao. What I love about these is that  they are quick and easy to make and they are perfect for entertaining.  I make up a large platter to take to parties and gatherings with family and friends. They are instantly devoured and satisfy the sweet chocolatey fix you sometimes crave. Another great thing about these is that they keep really well in the fridge for up to a week if they last that long. You can choose to enjoy with or without the chocolate frosting, but I really like the soft mousse like texture from the frosting that marries perfectly with the light bite of the walnut.

Walnuts are a delicious source of omega 3 EFA’s (essential fatty acids) which are critical for good health. Health benefits of omega 3 are helping to lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, improves symptoms of arthritis, improves mental health as the brain is 60% fat and needs omega 3 to function properly. They are also high in the amino acid tryptophan which helps to make serotonin – the FEEL GOOD hormone responsible for feelings of wellbeing and feeling great !  Dates give a lovely natural sweetness and  are  high in the minerals, potassium, chromium, maganesium and iron. Cacao and cocoa are high in magnesium and iron and also contains compounds that act as stimulants believed to boost serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain that gives you a pleasurable sensation similar to the high people get after exercise.

500g walnuts
2 heaped tablespoons cacao or cocoa (see notes)
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 pitted large fresh dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste

Chocolate frosting

1/4 cup honey
2 ripe avocadoes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder

Combine walnuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
Process until ground, but not too fine.
Add dates and vanilla.
Process again. Test and see if the cake starts to come together when pressed, if not add a few more dates and a little splash of water then process again.
Scoop out into small truffle like portions and arrange onto a serving platter.
You don’t bake this chocolate cake.  Just place into the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill and set.
Combine chocolate frosting ingredients in the following order: honey, avocado, vanilla, cocoa.
Blend in a high speed blender like a Vitamix until creamy and thick.  A tablespoon or two of water can help your frosting to mix if necessary.
Pipe on the chocolate frosting over each cupcake.
if you like.  I’ve used goji berry in mine.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 40 mini cupcakes

Nutritional info per serve with frosting:
Protein: 2.1 g
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated: 0.9 g
Carbs: 3.8 g
Sodium: 3.1 mg
Fiber: 1.2 g
kilojoules: 463

VARIATION: Add 4 heaped tablespoons of my Healthy Chef Pure Native WPI Chocolate to this recipe +  2 tablespoons extra water to mix. They make the yummiest protein balls !

There are 3 main types of cocoa.
1 Dutch processed
2 Natural
3 Raw
Cocoa is what the beans are called once they have been cleaned, roasted and ground – Dutch processed neutralises the acidity and gives a darker look and rich smooth flavour. Great in baked chocolate cakes for its richer flavour.
Natural cocoa is just roasted then ground into a powder and is lighter in colour.
Raw Cacao is the same bean but still in the raw state, uncooked and unprocessed.

They all have their purpose in cooking and what you use depends on the final result and flavour you want to achieve. I use them all depending on what i have in my cupboard at the time. For these cupcakes I have used raw but they will work well even if you don’t.

Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cup Cakes
Naked Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Really Good Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate Brownies
Raw Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate Mousse

27 Responses to “Raw Chocolate Cupcakes”
  1. Sonja says:

Thanks for the recipe Teresa. I sometimes find raw cacao is a bit bitter so use a mix of raw and processed to get the flavour I like.
    Also, a quick question – I really like the cupcake holders you have used in your pic – what are they and are they available in stores? I have a dinner party coming up and think they look really special presented this way.

2. Debra Moore says:

Look great can we have the recipe for the vanilla and macadamia nut shortbread?

3. Gillian says:

They sound divine, but can you substitute another nut for the walnuts? My husband cannot eat walnuts…..and thus I would have to eat them all! Also where do you buy raw cacao?
    Many thanks

4. Monika says:

Hi this looks good can you give me a substitute for honey please ? Thanks Monika

5. Meg says:

Hi Teresa, Fantastic recipe cant wait to give it a try. Im currently doing the 8 week no sugar program and was wondering what I can substitute the honey and if possible the dates? Thanks Meg

• Hey Meg – if you’re trying to reduce sugar, substitute dates for soft pitted prunes. The honey is already reduced by half. :)

• Whitney says:

Hi Meg,
      All dried fruit are considered fructose rich, best to steer away whilst you are doing your quit sugar gig. I’ve quit sugar too have been sugar free for 7 months, but honestly you’ll have to steer away from the dried fruit http://www.livestrong.com/article/35748-list-foods-fructose-content/
      Hope I’ve helped don’t want to see you un-do all the hard work you may be doing now.
      Best wishes,

• Personally Meg, in my opinion, the best way to cut back on sugar is to reduce the amount of sugar you are already eating and also go for the less refined options.

High-fibre, low–medium GI fruits such as berries, pears, apples, oranges, grapefruit, peaches, plums, cherries, pomegranates contain whopping amounts of antioxidants. These will curb that sweet craving and fill you up. Low–medium GI fruits don’t spike blood sugar levels because they are high in fibre and keep insulin levels steady.

Strawberries for instance are low in calories and high in fibre and antioxidants. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that adding strawberries to your meals slowed the insulin responses by delaying the absorption of sugars in the digestive tract. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that increases storage of fat, protein and glucose. It’s main effect in regard to fat is to block lipolysis (oxidation of fat).

I’m not an extremist when it comes to any diet and eat according to how my body feels, my activity levels and what’s in season. I believe strict diets fail because people can’t sustain the eating regime for long periods of time, so they give up and end up eating more of what they tried to cut out. At the end of the day I like to keep it real. This is why my 80/20 principle works so well.

Food for thought ! T x :)

6. siewlingchaw says:

hi may i know what can i substitute the avocado with ? :/ its pretty expensive here in Malaysia. could i use frozen bananas instead? if so,how much would i need?

• Frosting ideas for you Siewiigaw !
      1 Thick Greek Style yoghurt, ricotta + honey or coconut yoghurt.
      2 Chocolate ganache made from 1 part good quality chocolate to 1/2 coconut milk, thick greek style yoghurt or cream. So for 300 g chocolate you will need 150 ml coconut milk, yoghurt or cream.
      T:) x

7. Angela says:

Delish delish delish these sound very rich wholesome and I will endeavor to make.
    I’m finding my basic blender does most things well enough but when I do priorities buying a vitamix I’m sure I won’t turn back.

8. Maria says:

Hi Teresa – These look delicious.
    I already make a very simple cup cake just using organic coconut, some melted organic dark chocolate, raw cacao, and coconut oil. My daughter has a thyroid problem you see!! IMine are quite absent of sugar, but we have so becomes accustomed to it that I find I have to reduce sugar to a minimum in all recipes, paleo or otherwise(God knows what my friends think!!).
    As a family we are very much into the 80/20 principles of eating and just love the change in our wellbeing and physique.

9. Lesley says:

My favourite recipe yet! Amazing!

10. Natasha says:

YUMMMM…the girls and I have just made these…even hubby was surprise how delish these are :-)

11. Tracey says:

Looking forward to having these delicious delights after my bike race on Sunday!

• Hey Tracey – these chocolate cupcakes are great after a bike race – they are delicious with a few scoops of my protein powder then rolled in coconut for instant protein power balls. Awesome recovery food. :) x

12. Gina says:

Teresa I only recently discovered you and think your food and philosophies are great. As a born and bred ovo lacto vegetarian I have a moderate approach so appreciate your 80- 20 rule. Having had a baby recently I’ve been trying to eat more clean to lose the weight but I love chocolate. I made these cupcakes minus the icing and they didn’t get a thumbs up from family. I guess they would do if I was desperately craving chocolate but they taste almost savory. I ground my own raw cacao nibs so I don’t know if that is adding to it. I was wondering if I could add chocolate protein powder to make it taste a bit more sweet and chocolatey. I know it’s then not raw but I’m assuming that’s still better than chocolate. :)

13. Jacqui says:

Hi Teresa! I’m vegan can I substitute the eggs for something else?

14. Emily says:

These are yummy, taking them plus your choc chip cookies for night shift tonight!

15. Brittany says:

What can you use instead of fresh pitted dates? Can you just leave them out, or will that muck up the recipe?

Britt :)

16. jasmine says:

I first sampled this recipe at xmas …it was one the first raw treats we made…could not believe how awesome the avocado icing tasted…I made another batch yesterday and added some powdered ginger and some shredded coconut to the mix..I made about 70 treats all eaten by guest within a 3 hour period many people went for 2nds and 3rds…without having to feel guilty….awesome …thankyou for sharing this fabulous raw recipe with us ..I am inspired to emmerse myself in creating more raw dishes now…its been a long time coming …and this was the entry point…thankyou :)

17. Andrea says:

Hi Teresa – love every recipe of yours I’ve tried – thank you!

Should I be soaking nuts for recipes like these? If I do, could I soak and NOT dehydrate (because I would be keeping the end product in the fridge any way)?

How long can I keep the avocado frosting in the fridge?

– andrea

18. Nicole Schabort says:

Can you substitute Carob powder instead of the Raw Cocoa for your chocolate recipes?

19. Vera says: