500 g (17 1/2 oz) apples, finely diced with the skin (golden delicious, pink lady) are naturally sweet and delicious
250 g (8 3/4 oz) raisins
100 g (3 1/2 oz) cranberries or sun-dried cherries
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 orange (you will need the zest from ½ orange)
500 ml (2 cups / 17 1/2 fl oz) fresh apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1. Combine the apples, raisins and cranberries into a pot.
2. Add the apple juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla and the zest from 1 orange.
3. Cover the pot and simmer over a gentle heat for 30 minutes, making sure to stir every now and then. Make sure not to boil too fast, just a slow gentle simmer.
4. Add more apple juice if need to keep the mixture plump and moist then simmer for another 30 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Now at this stage your fruit mince will be ready to enjoy – but for those who want to add that festive cheer, you can stir through a generous splash of calvados ( apple brandy).
6. Make your fruit mince into delicious made into pies, tarts or folded into Christmas Baked muffins.