Bubble + Squeak

I remember mum cooking bubble + squeak for all of us when we were kids. It was basically all the leftover veggies from the night before cooked up in a hot cast iron pan until lovely and golden with lots of crispy bits that tasted amazing.  Well I love to follow a little family tradition and often make bubble + squeak at home when I want some warm and healthy comfort food. It takes around 15 minutes to make and I love to serve it topped with a sunny side fried organic egg. I love to use a combination of thin sliced cauliflower, fennel and leek; you can also add chunks of potato and sauté until crispy and golden brown. This is pure comfort food that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

What’s great about it:
Fennel is the perfect vegetable for digestive support and can help with gastrointestinal disturbances such as bloating. Cauliflower is rich in sulphur that works as an anti-inflammatory that can support digestion and boost your immune system. Leeks are part of the veggie family called Allium Vegetables, the same as garlic and onions. They contain the flavonoid kaempferol that can help protect the body from oxidative stress. The combination of all these veggies also act like pre-biotic in the digestive system that help to stimulate the favorable growth and activity of the good probiotic bacteria.

1 leek, halved, washed and thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb – ( 200 g/ 7 oz) thinly sliced
1/2 small cauliflower (400 g / 14 oz) thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt + ground black pepper to taste
few sprigs of thyme
2 free range eggs

Combine leek, fennel and cauliflower into a pan with the olive oil.
Season with a little sea salt and pepper then add the thyme.
Cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes – tossing the pan every few minutes, so that the veggies cook evenly and start to crisp up nicely in the pan.
When the veggies are ready, lighly pan fry the egg in a seperate pan over a low – medium heat, making sure that the yolk is still lovely and runny.
Serve the bubble + squeak in the pan or on individual plates topped with a sunny side organic egg.
Serves 2

Optional Extras:

• Add cooked sweet potato in place of the cauliflower.
  • Add a handful of shredded kale when sautéing the cauliflower, leek and fennel.
  • Squeese over a little lemon at the end of cooking and fold through baby spinach leaves

Comments
18 Responses to “Bubble + Squeak”
  1. Hollie says:

Yum!I make a similar one using pureed cauiflower, shallots, green beans and mushrooms. Add it all to the pan and fry up. Its very comforting and taste delicious.

2. Nicole says:

So simple, looks amazing, will definitely be cooking this next week. Love your recipes Teresa, thanks.

3. Lisa says:

I grew up on bubble and squeak! My nan and pop used to have a hot breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning and we always had bubble and squeak from the leftover veges. Ours was probably a little less gourmet….lots of potato, pumpkin, squash etc or whatever my pop was growing in the garden at the time. I still love it but can’t get the super crunchy base my pop used to get! Possibly the lack of a huge amount of butter and the use of a non-stick pan. Still delicious though.

4. Eva says:

Hi Teresa. Thank you for you ongoing recipes and for the wonderful protein powder and super food. I incorporate them into the family smoothies or mix through yogurt with berries. The kids particularly like the taste of the Super food powder!
    Just wondering what was under the egg in your picture. Thanks Eva

5. Sally says:

I have many fond memories of my Dad cooking up Bubble and Squeak for my Sis and I on the weekends. Yum, it was one of my favourite meals and I can’t wait to try your version. I have always wondered where the name Bubble and Squeak came from???

6. Lyndal says:

Yum, I have just made this for lunch.. its amazing!! Thank you for your recipes x

7. Kate says:

Hi Teresa, love your recipes.
    I have an allergy to cauliflower, what do you recommend would be a good substitute in this recipe?

8. Lyn says:

I’ve never had this dish before and I had actually never heard of it. Reading your recipe however I think it’s something I would definitely like to try. I like the way you use cucumber and organic eggs rather than potatoes. It’s a lot healthier and I think it would taste just as good if not better.

9. Will says:

Hello Teresa I am having bubble and squeak today for lunch and I have had it for breakfast quite alot aswell and where has the name ‘bubble+squeak’ came from

10. Gee says:

Made for dinner tonight. Delicious. Thank you.

11. Nicole says:

Just made this again for lunch and had to let you know what a fantastic, hearty wintry lunch it was – topped with a delicious egg from my chickens – totally satisfying! And I can have leftovers tomorrow. Alas, time to get back to the vacuuming!

12. Donna says:

Amazing! This is so tasty. Love it

13. Liz says:

The name comes from the noise the vegetables make as they cook – lots of movement and sound!

14. Jo says:

I love this. I always have left over steamed veg in the fridge and if I don’t feel like cooking, this is my go to meal. My combo is mushrooms, onions, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. I hated brussels as a kid and have recently discovered them and they are now my favourite favourite veg. To make them sweeter, they must have a frost on them. So put them in the freezer for a day before you want to eat them…job done!