Vitality Smoothie

vitality smoothie

This is the ultimate Super Greens Vitality Smoothie that’s bursting with antioxidants and alkalising goodness.
It’s the real deal, the get me super healthy type of smoothie that will have you bouncing off the walls and feeling energised.

Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are more potent through whole food consumption which is why drinking green smoothies are the perfect way to nourish your body. A good diet has always played a vital role in supporting health, which is why it is so important to think about what you put into your mouth every time you eat and drink and whether or not it makes a positive or negative effect to your body.

What’s great about it:
Apples are a good source of vitamin C, phytonutrients and soluble fibre (as pectin). Many of the nutrients found in apples are more concentrated in their skin – so make sure you don’t peel your apples when making green smoothies.

Pineapples are jam-packed with B-group vitamins including thiamine (B1) and B6, which are vital for energy metabolism and nerve function. Pineapples contain the enzyme bromelain, renowned for aiding protein digestion.

Celery is a healing vegetable known for its detoxifying, circulation promoting and immune-boosting properties.

Matcha  - The health benefits of Matcha Green Tea are incredible – one bowl of Matcha tea is equivalent to 10 cups of green tea.   Matcha has the ability to boost your immunity, control your stress and assist in weight loss

Wheatgrass - Cold-Pressed Wheat Grass Juice is one of the most nutritionally dense greens on earth. Power-packed with naturally occurring nutrients including chlorophyll, beta carotene, vitamin C, B complex vitamins, amino acids, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Wheatgrass helps boost metabolism and has an incredible protective effect on the skin helping nourish a dewy complexion. Wheatgrass works as a natural anti-inflammatory in the body and is a key nutrient in supporting digestive health and detoxification in the body.

Cucumbers – These cool, green vegies have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They help normalise blood pressure and relieve fluid retention.

Spinach and other lush leafy greens, top the list of cancer-fighting foods. Both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, spinach should be a dietary staple! It is also loaded with bone-supporting vitamin K, folate, magnesium, vitamin C and beta-carotene.

Serves 1

1/2  green apple, chopped with skin  (100g)
100 g pineapple chunks
1 big handful baby spinach leaves ( 1 cup – 35 g)
100 g small cucumber – Lebanesese
1 small stick – 50 g celery, chopped
1 lime, peeled.
small sprig mint
small sprig parsley leaves
1  small slither ginger
1 1/2  cups water
1/2 teaspoon Healthy Chef Matcha
1 teaspoon Cold Pressed Wheatgrass juice Powder
1/2 cup ice

Combine all the ingredients into a good high speed blender
Blend until smoothe and green.
Serve in 2 large glasses
Garnish with limes and celery stalk.
Enjoy and be nourished.

Additional extras:
Add 1 teaspoon Healthy Chef Natural immune Support for it’s anti inflammatory benefits.

40 Responses to “Vitality Smoothie”
  1. Teresa, this sounds lovely and the addition of mint caught my eye, love it!

2. Margaret says:

This looks amazing, and not too high in fruit like most of the others. I’ve just bought a Vitamix and this looks like the perfect recipe to get me started. Thanks for the inspiration Teresa. :)

3. I’ve just added a Vitamix to my own kitchen a week ago – and my husband is a little miffed because I’m choosing a fresh homemade juice each morning for my kick-start instead of the normal cappucinno he used to make me on our fancy espresso machine. I remember you saying a bit of lemon first thing in the morning is a great primer for the body – so I’ve been throwing half a peeled lemon in with my apple, pear and/or orange mix. It’s going to take a switch in thinking to add spinach leaves and cucumber to a breakfast drink, but am going to give it a shot! Thanks for the tips Teresa – not only tasty, but love the nutrition information you provide along the way.

• Lisa (Yrlocalmarkets) says:

Heather, I was worried about adding veggies to juices but I gave it a whirl and the juices really are delicious, so I imagine smoothies will be the same. The apple adds sweetness, the cucumber adds freshness and you can’t taste the spinach! I’m not a celery fan so I’ll leave that out but you’d be surprised how good they taste and how GOOD you feel when you add them to your diet. Good luck!

4. Birte says:

You mentioned wild salmon above for breakfast. I have been looking for it and got told that there is no way to find it here in Australia.
    Would you tell me where you get if from please?
    I’d appreciate it very much.

Keep up the good and inspiring work.
    Thank you.

• in Australia you can only get tinned wild Salmon as far as I know, which is the paramount brand. It’s very lovely. Sardines are fantastic too, fresh or tinned they are delicious with a squeeze of lemon and some fresh tomato. :)

• Claire says:

hi birte, try – wild sockeye salmon raw or smoked available in aus. i’m not affiliated with them in any way, i’ve just heard they’re great and have been meaning to try them :)

• Lisa (Yrlocalmarkets) says:

Vital Choice also sell tinned wild salmon and sustainably wild caught fish. They’re a great company and also don’t line their cans with BPA (which is a plastic and known endocrine distrupter, which can leach into canned foods and cause disease). Vital Choice are the only brand I know of that sell sustainable fish in a can without BPA ;-)

5. Amelia says:

Sounds yummo…. just wish I had a vitamix! Making this in my current blender would be lie drinking pesto : (

• Give it a go Amelia….you may need to add a little more water, take it off the machine and give it a mix 3 or 4 times. Most blenders don’t have a tamp that allows you to push the fruit and veg straight into the blades to get pureed. :)

6. Jo says:

Hi there…you say drink imediately to reap the benefits. Is it ok to store smoothie in airtight flask in the fridge for any period of time – 24/48 hours perhaps? Will this reduce the nutrient level at all? Thanks.

7. Leah says:

I have fructose malabsorbant and can’t eat apples.
    Could I just leave it out? Would it be as nice? Would you suggest adding any different fruit to compensate. (not pears or watermelon either!)
    Also, could I do this in a normal blender?

8. Yaz says:

What is the difference between a vitamix and thermomix?

• Yaz – In a nutshell, the Thermomix is a great machine, however it does a lot of everything just not one thing very well.

“Have a think about what you want to do with your appliance.
      If you want to make perfectly smooth, can’t tell the fibre is their whole food juice, ice-cream & sorbets in under a minute, creamy nut butters, soups in five minutes, grind grains, make dips, chop onions and vegetables etc, the Vitamix has it covered. The Vitamix is easy to use, easy to clean and is fast with consistent results. If you also want scales and a steamer and only a two year warranty – pay the extra $1000+ for a Thermomix.” :)

• Kim says:

Thanks for that Theresa. I couldn’t of said it better myself.

• Shelly C says:

Just what I wanted to hear as I purchased the Vitamix today and have just made my first green juice with kale. It’s AMAZING!!! SO happy with my purchase and it’s on sale at the moment at Raw Blend.

9. Emma says:

Hi Teresa

Stumbled upon your website and I’m super impressed!! Been looking for some common sense but healthy recipes for a while.

With regards to the smoothie, my husband and I are doing intermittent fasting (16/8) meaning that we have an 8 hour window for eating. Can I make this smoothie ahead of time and have it a couple of hours after it’s been made? As in, if I made it first thing in the morning, would it still retain its goodness until midday?

• Hey Emma. Nutrients in fruits and veggies always start to denature once the have been cut, so it’s always best to drink straight away. That being said, if you have no other alternative, you can make ahead of time, cover well and keep in the fridge until needed. It tends to thicken up quite a bit as there is alot of fiber so thin it down with water or add some extra lemon or apple juice. If I’m doing an intermittent fast which I love doing, a green veggie juice is also a good option to enjoy during your your body gets a good dose of liquid nutrients in one hit… (no fiber though) makes you feel amazing. :)

10. Michael says:

Hi Teresa – how would it go adding some chia seeds to help with detox taking the fat soluable elements out of the body? In the hungry for change video recently released they mentioned using them. Would it be suitable to add them in, if so what kind of quantity, would they work well with the properties of the mint and parsley?
    Michael -0407 056 446

• When adding chia seeds to any smoothie, juice or water – drink it straight away. After a few minutes it starts to gel quickly as it absorbs more fluid. you can add 1 teaspoon of seeds and go from there. Adding 1 teaspoon chia seeds to a large glass of water and lemon is also delicious. :)

11. Leesa says:

Thank you for sharing such wonderfully health provocing ideas. My good friend at mamacino recommeded your site….and she was right, its amazing. My healthy needed your ideas right now, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

12. Kate says:

Absolutely love your blog!! I just wanted to add that it has become very trendy to have raw green smoothies at the moment and people can feel a bit pressurised to follow the trend. Green smoothies run straight through my body (guess which end…) as I think they’re too cooling for my body and I can’t digest the raw fibre. I can tolerate raw green juices though which I have been incorporating into my lifestyle as my first beverage of the day.

Just wanted to highlight that every body is different and just because you’re not following a popular food trend, doesn’t mean the rest of your diet isn’t healthy.

• Hey Kate – totally agree – Green Smoothies may not be for everyone…and green juices are amazing too ! I often have a large green juice if I’m not that hungry or my digestive system is out of wack or if I’m run down and need instant nourishment – better than a vitamin pill. Glad you love the blog.:) xx

13. Jasmine says:

I had my first green smoothie this morning and used a normal blended, I had to use a spoon to push the ingredients down (dangerous, I know)
    I am hoping to order a vitamix real soon. But I wanted to ask if it is normal to have a large amount of froth?
    The flavour was fantastic by the way.

• Caitlin says:

hi jasmine, i have a vitamix and whenever i make my green smoothies i never have lots of froth- i think its you blender! buying a vitamix was the best investment ive ever made! :)

• Jasmine says:

Thanks Caitlin, I am still doing the smoothies, its been over a month now and I feel fantastic. I think it is time to invest in the Vitamix!

14. Nicole says:

Thanks for sharing all your lovely recipes.

I’ve just bought a Vitamix and am a little bit excited about starting my juice/smoothie revolution! Just wondering with this recipe it uses apples, is there anything I can replace them with? I love them but I have fructose malabsorption and they upset my tummy.

Thanks heaps!

15. Kacey says:

Can you please let me know what Sardines you eat and if you do anything to them?
    Will you be also posting further details on your detox plan?

Thanks, Kacey

• Hey Kacey – The best way to eat them is to squeeze over a generous amount of lemon then smash them lightly with parsley and black pepper and spring onion. In regards to posting details on my detox plan…I’ll be posting up lots of my favourite detox recipes over Jan and Feb in my Newsletter as well as instagram and Facebook. Happy New Year….T:) x

16. Jacqui says:

Loved this green smoothie! And to my surprise my husband enjoyed it too! :)

17. Elise says:

Hi Teresa! I absolutely love your blog! so many amazing recipes that i have used to convert my friends and family into ‘healthy eaters’. Just one quick question, I am unable to eat pineapple and was wondering if your had a particular alternative to recommend as I want to ensure the I dont compromise on taste.

Thanks again for sharing all your recipes, its so wonderful to be able to access such an awesome health resource!

Thanks in advance,

18. Kim says:

Any suggestions on an alternative to pineapple. It’s the only fruit juice I can’t drink – it triggers an asthma attack for me. Otherwise, this looks fabulous

19. Sarah says:

I have made this smoothie a few times and I love it. I have chopped up all of the ingredients and frozen them in snap lock bags ready for me to throw in the blender with coconut water. On weekends I enjoy my smoothie straight away and it has a lovely icy texture. But on weekdays I have to take my smoothie to work with me so I have been blending it the night before and storing it in an airtight jar until I enjoy it at work in the morning.

Leaving it overnight causes two layers to form, the bottom layer is liquid and the top layer is foam. I discard the foam and drink the liquid (much more like a juice than a smoothie). Am I still getting all of the nutrients from this drink minus the fibre by doing it this way? Or am I discarding valuable nurtients in the foam layer? I love the taste of this smoothie and the idea of getting a hit of nutrients in a drink but do you think I should try something different instead? I don’t have a vitamix so I just use my normal blender.

Thanks!! :)

1. [...] is the best way to cure a hangover, but I prefer a few detoxifying yoga poses, lots of water and a green smoothie, it’s a hangover cure that will fix you from the inside [...]