Salted Nut Butter Cookies

Salted Peanut Butter Cookies

Good quality nut butters are delicious !  I often enjoy them straight out of a jar or off a spoon – just pure comfort food that satisfies me for hours. The only ingredient on the back label should be nuts and maybe just a little salt – that’s it ! Look for nut butters with no added oils, sugar or stabilisers.  I’ve made these cookies a number of times and they are delicious using peanut, almond or macadamia (my favourite).  This is perfect for holiday baking and what I love about them is that you only need a few ingredients to create pure magic.

What’s good about them:
Nut butters are packed with protein that keeps your body sustained for hours.  They are also rich in antioxidants and minerals that include magnesium, potassium, folate, niacin and folate. I love my macadamia nuts and they make the most amazing butters because they are so deliciously creamy and high in anti-inflammatory mono-unsaturated fats similar to olive oil and avocado.  Make nut butters yourself in a quality high speed blender and you’ll taste and feel the benefits.

1 cup (250 g) organic peanut or almond butter or macadamia nut butter
2 generous tablespoons  honey or your choice of natural  sweetener (coconut sugar, organic maple syrup, stevia etc )
1 organic egg
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Garnish
1/2  cup almonds or macadamia nuts, or other nuts roughly chopped
flaked salt to garnish

Preheat oven to 150 C.
Combine nut butter, honey, vanilla and organic egg into a mixing bowl.
Mix well until combined.  The mixture will be soft and a little sticky – but that’s how it’s supposed to look. (based on what nuts you use they will vary in consistency. For a firmer cookie you can add a few tablespoons of almond meal coconut)
Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking.
Spoon delicate portions onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, using a small teaspoon or mini ice cream scoop
Chop almonds or peanuts then garnish over the top.
Press the cookie down so it flattens.
Sprinkle lightly with a little flaked sea salt
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Remove and allow to cool.
Enjoy.
Makes 12.

Notes and Inspiration
Add 2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Organic Pea Protein or Healthy Chef Native Whey Protein Isolate to pump up the protein and boost amino acid profile.
Add 80 g roughly chopped dark chocolate for a choc chip version
To make chocolate fudge cookies add 2 tablespoons Naked Chocolat

Salted Peanut Butter Cookies Graded A-9202

Comments
22 Responses to “Salted Nut Butter Cookies”
  1. Sarah says:

Hi Theresa, I’ve read that coconut butter can be used to replace nut butters, do you think that would work with this recipe?

2. Mary says:

Looks like a simple and great recipe!
    How many should this recipe make? Or what diameter should the biscuits be?
    Thanks,
    Mary

3. mari says:

If I do not have almond/peanut butter. What can I use instead, I have plenty of almonds. I assume that I should ground almonds very finely and add what…?

4. Leeann Hudson says:

Do you use your Vitamix Teresa to make your nut butters?

• Hi Leeann – you can use any good high speed blender or food processor. Vitamix, Brevills new blender (THE BOSS), Thermomix, Blendtec, Robot-Coupe blitzer is awesome ! x

5. Magdalena says:

I make my own almond butter in the food processor. It does not become quite as fine and smooth as the store bought variety, but very good. You can add a little almond oil (or other oil) to soften it. It does take a while. Let it run until you feel the outside get warm and you see oil seep out on to the surface. With a few friends I buy almonds In bulk from a distributor. About half the price of what the supermarket charges. They keep for months in cool storage.

6. Amanda says:

Hi Teresa

The recipe doesn’t say when to add the vanilla bean paste – I”m guessing at the beginning with all the other ingredients? Just wanted to check as I have a tendency to create catastrophes in the kitchen ;-)

Looking forward to making these – they sound delicious!

Thank you!

7. Kristen says:

I just made these and they are delish. I used nut free butter (sunflower seeds) and they are beautiful. I’ll be making this one again. Thanks Teresa.

8. Amanda says:

Hey Teresa

These look scrumptious.. Is there any chance we can get the nutritional break down??
    I like to incorporate them into my daily macros..
    Manda x

9. Becky says:

Yum! Sounds similar to the peanut butter tahini ones I made a little while ago! I think I will try using less sugar and a bit of salt to get that saltiness and less sweet flavour next time. Perfect little after dinner treat for this time of the year too.

10. Margi says:

How much liquid stevia should I use ?
    Tks
    Margi x

11. Rachael says:

I made a healthy version of Nutella & used that for the nut butter component…SO GOOD!! get them away from me!! Thanks Teresa! x

12. Ali says:

Yum. Yes please. I will be making these tomorrow. Thanks

13. Angela says:

Thank you, Teresa. Another great recipe.

14. Lynne says:

Are the oven temperatures in your recipes for a fan-forced oven or non fan-forced ?