Ricotta Pancakes w/ Blueberry Maple Syrup

Packed with protein and bursting with antioxidants to make your body glow from the inside out !
These pancakes will enhance performance and reduce fatigue. The optimal recovery food to support a healthy active body.  The base to these pancakes is pure and simple and based around a classic bircher muesli where I love to fold in pillows of soft creamy curds of ricotta. The combination of oats and ricotta give these pancakes a decadence that allows the textures and flavours to dance in your mouth.
My blueberry maple syrup is the finishing touch when you generously drizzle  it over the top of the pancakes. A perfect recipe for Mother’s Day this Sunday – enjoy !

What’s Great About it:
Good nutrition is the fundamental building block of a healthy body. The food you eat has the potential to nourish every cell in your body and is your nutritional insurance policy to live longer, feel energised and perform at your optimum best. Ricotta and eggs are a good source of protein, which sustains lean muscle and supports a healthy metabolism. According to studies, the beta-glucan fibre found in oats can help regulate your appetite for up to four hours as well as help lower cholesterol. Cinnamon improves insulin’s efficiency, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.

“Enjoy your journey of healthy eating with balance, wisdom and moderation.“
Teresa Cutter

Oatmeal Ricotta Pancakes
4 free-range organic eggs
1 cup milk of  your choice
1 cup (100 g) rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
2 tablespoons flaxseed or chia seed
250 g good quality ricotta

Blueberry maple syrup
500 g blueberries frozen
1 cup (250 ml) apple juice
1 cup (250 ml) organic maple syrup
1 teaspoon cornflour or arrowroot to thicken

Combine eggs, milk, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and flaxseed.
Cover and rest the batter overnight in the fridge to soften the chia and oats.
Fold in ricotta by breaking it up into the pancake mixture. Make sure to leave some lovely chunks of ricotta in the pancake mix.
Heat a non–stick pan over a low heat with a little macadamia nut or olive and spoon in the pancake mix, 2 tablespoons of mix per pancake.
Cook over a low heat so that it cooks through.
Flip over and cook the other side.
Serve warm with blueberry maple syrup and a side of Greek Style yoghurt.
Makes 8 pancakes

To make the blueberry maple syrup:
Combine 250 g of the blueberries, apple juice and maple syrup.
Heat gently and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Blend until smooth.
Pour the syrup back into a pot and thicken just ever so slightly with a corn flour slurry.
Remove from the heat immediately and fold in 250 g whole frozen blueberries.
Serve warm with pancakes and enjoy.

Notes + inspiration
Add 50 g Healthy Chef Pure Native WPI or Pure Pea Protein to boost protein.

Popular Links:
Wellness Promotion – Get 20 % off our Organic Pea Protein
Naked Chocolate Wellness Pack – The perfect mother’s day gift.

31 Responses to “Ricotta Pancakes w/ Blueberry Maple Syrup”
  1. Kath says:

Hi Teresa, do you use almond meal natural or blanched?

2. sarah says:

Awesome! Thanks for the gluten free variation Teresa – just what I need.

3. Julie says:

Thank you Teresa, you are amazing and your recipes are fantastic.
    Thank you for sharing them.
    I wish you would open a cafe in Melbourne I miss Sydney.
    Kind regards

4. Mary says:

These pancakes are truly delicious! I made the mixture last night, omitting ricotta as I am lactose intolerant, and cooked them this morning.Yummy! I ate them with strawberries and lactose free yogurt and a little swig of pure maple syrup!
    Thankyou for revving up my morning.

5. Carol Blacker says:

Im going to make them Sat am because my husband loves pancakes and I’ve been trying to convince him that he needs to eat healthier .So far the Warm Beef Salad was a winner,fingers crossed for the pancakes! Its been fantastic to have the connivence to have to not think of wat to cook when a recipe comes floating my way, via email.

6. Honey says:

I tried this recipe this morning topped with blueberries, strawberries, yoghurt and honey – amazing!

7. Mariam says:

Halved the recipe to have for breakfast today, it was delicious! I’ve struggled coming to terms with pancakes made without white flour and refined sugar but I loved these and they were so filling thanks to the oat and protein!

I’ll definitely make a full batch and keep the leftovers in the fridge to make for a tasty school day brekky! I added a little rice malt syrup and vanilla to the batter and served it with honey, fresh peaches and berries!

8. Claire says:

I love, love this! I made this for our preschoolers for breakfast yesterday and again today. They taste so clean and are so satisfying. We had these with raspberries and a touch of maple syrup.
    Delicious! I will make these again.
    Thanks for the brilliant recipe Teresa!

9. Cel says:

These pancakes were fantastic! I’m so glad I’ve found your website. I love to eat healthy but find so many clean recipes include protein powders or ingredients that are harder to find. This is a healthy alternative to eating oats for brekkie everyday. Going to make your museli muffins next :)

10. Jennifer says:

I live by myself but am keen to give this a whirl. I am fairly confident they will freeze ok. Teresa what do u think? Thanks

11. Amanda says:

Would it be possible to substitute the ricotta with natural,
    Greek style yoghurt?

12. lauren says:

I just wanted to know if you could make the batter the night before to use in the morning??
    I made these on the weekend and they are so delicious.
    Thanks Teresa

13. Lisa says:

I made these the other week and they are so yummy. I made the mix the night before and froze half of the batter,(I have since used the frozen batter and it was fine). I didn’t really need eat anything for almost 4 hours after these which was great because I have a fast metabolism and usually need to eat every 2-3hrs. Absolutely love your recipes Teresa :)

14. Jessica says:

Thank you Theresa, I made these with the coconut flour, coconut milk and banana variation, they were Yummy, been eating your healthy version of pancakes three days straight for breakfast. I also added pea protien to these :)

15. Laura says:

Just made these but used mashed pumpkin instead of ricotta, delicious.

16. Jason says:

Just wondering if cottage cheese would be acceptable in place of the ricotta?

• Jason says:

Bit the bullet and tried cottage cheese. That worked great :)

The mixture came out really runny though so I had to thicken it with some flour :( I think next time I might reduce the rolled oats and add some almond meal.

Served with some greek yoghurt, blueberries and a drizzle of honey. Was delicious and will definitely be a regular on the menu from now on.

17. vanchi says:

just made these with coconut flour and soy milk; they were really good, light and fluffy, but I had trouble flipping them over so in the end I used just one tablespoon batter per pancake and that worked out better

18. Carllye says:

What can I use instead of oats as I can’t eat th

19. Grainne says:

HI Therese

Great recepie thanks. Do you tink if they ere cooked at the weekend and reheated during the week they woud taste ok?

20. Janet says:

Teresa, your recipes continue to wow me! I had these pancakes this morning for breakfast, they were so light and delicious and have sustained me all morning. This is now my no. 1 favourite pancake recipe – and I love the fact that you can mix it all the night before, then add the ricotta while the pan is heating up in the morning. Just so easy! Another winner recipe – thanks so much for publishing and sharing.

21. Nicole says:

Looking forward to eating these in the morning. What could I replace the apple juice in the blueberry maple syrup with? I am fructose intolerant. Thanks!

22. Sara says:

Made these this morning and they turned out great, filling and yummy! I made a different berry coulis from fresh strawberries, cornflour, lemon juice, sugar, salt and water because I didn’t have any of the ingredients.
    Even my mum liked them and she doesn’t like anything healthy! I used reduced fat spreadable ricotta but there was still some good chunks in the pancakes! I also used soy milk, 1 tbs of flaxseed and 1 tbs chia seeds and regular baking powder.
    Thanks for the recipe!

23. Cassie says:

This is an amazing recipe–I have to get ricotta so I can make these pancakes!

24. Lucy says:

Teresa, if I made too much batter, would I be able to store it for one to two days in the fridge and then cook it over a couple of days?