DETOX FOR SPRING ORGANIC WHEATGRASS

SHOP NOW
+ the healthy chef +

How To Make The Best Gluten-Free Bread

• By
  • Teresa Cutter

My purely delicious Quinoa + Chia Bread is gluten free, dairy free, egg free + sugar free, making it perfect for anyone with a food allergy or intolerance. Not only is it included in my new book Purely Delicious, but it’s one of the most clicked recipes on my site and I’ve also shared it with Kamalaya Health Retreat and it features daily on their menu.

The most important steps would be to soak and rinse your quinoa and chia separately overnight before starting the recipe. The second most important step would be to mix it for at least 3 minutes in your food processor (not blender). Once you have that sorted, it’s smooth sailing from there. Don’t expect this bread to resemble traditional loaves – it’s very nutrient rich and moist and best eaten lightly toasted.

What I love about the raw batter before I cook it is that it also lends itself to a variety of dishes.  You can bake it as a thin flat bread and use it for a pizza base and top it with sun-dried tomato, roasted pumpkin chunks and ricotta or  you can cook spoonfuls in your cast iron pan just like pancakes or crumpets and drizzle with pure maple syrup and sliced banana.

quinoa-chia bread

Made simply from quinoa which is gluten free and has a low GI of 53. Quinoa is also a complete protein which means that it contains all the essential amino acids that the body needs for repair and a healthy immune system.The chia seed pumps up the omega 3 in the bread plus it helps hold it together when it’s baked. The lemon activates the baking soda (bicarb) + helps to alkaline the loaf.

Makes 1  loaf –  The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long

300 g  (10  1/2 oz / 1 3/4 cups)  whole uncooked quinoa seed
60 g (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup)  whole chia seed
250 ml / 1 cup water (use half to soak chia seeds and the other half to combine in the food processor)
60 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup ) olive oil
1/2  teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2  teaspoon sea salt
juice from ½ lemon

Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F fan forced oven.
Soak quinoa in plenty of cold water overnight in the fridge.
Soak chia seed in 1/2 cup water until gel like – this can be done overnight as well, but just give it a few stirs at the beginning.
Drain the quinoa and rinse really well through a sieve. Make sure the water is fully drained from your sieve.
Place the quinoa into a food processor.
Add chia gel, 1/2  cup of water, olive oil, bicarb soda, sea salt and lemon juice.
Mix in a food processor for 3 minutes.  The bread mix should resemble a batter consistency with some whole quinoa still left in the mix.
Spoon into a loaf tin lined with baking paper on all sides and the base.
Bake for 1  ½ hours until firm to touch and bounces back when pressed with your fingers.  Mine took 1  1/2 hours –  oven temps can vary slightly – but the bread needs the time to cook and for the quinoa to become tender.
Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes in the tin…then remove from the  tin and cool completely on a rack or board. The bread should be slightly moist in the middle and crisp on the outside. Cool completely before eating.
Serve delicate slices only when cold with a serrated knife.
Store wrapped in the fridge for up to 1 week (yes this can be frozen for up to 3 months).
Delicious lightly toasted on a pan.
Serves 12 – and best served lightly toasted in a pan until golden on both sides.

Notes + Inspiration

Serve topped with macadamia nut butter.
Pump up the protein and add 2 tablespoons of Pure Pea Protein before baking
Sprinkle with sunflower seeds before baking.
The whole seed must be used – please don’t use rolled quinoa or the flour.
Hulled millet can be used in place of quinoa in this recipe

PurelyDelicious_shopCover

18 Comments

Comments
18 Responses to “How To Make The Best Gluten-Free Bread”
  1. Donna Hardin says:

Wow, this looks delicious Teresa. I live in the country, 30 minutes from grocery store. Currently I have quinoa flour on hand…could u substitute the flour over the seeds? Probably not as good?? Anxious to try and trip to town a few days off. If up can substitute, how much flour to use? Tx!

2. Debra says:

Would we wash/rince the quinoa seeds first for the safrons suds? and could I use Amarath seeds as well or a
    part replacement for the quinoa?

3. Kathy says:

Love this recipe. Could you please tell me what food processer you used on your YouTube clip. Thanks

4. Lisa says:

This looks great. Love the fact there’s no almond meal in here. Thanks

5. Amber says:

Can’t wait to make this bread. If I was to make it in the thermomix would I use the knead or just mix it as normal and would it still need 3 mins.
    Thanks
    Amber

6. Katherine Jones says:

Hi Theresa
    Having just come off a wheat free cleanse the bread I have been baking is a lot more complicated than this !!
    Love its simplicity – one question: can I use a thermomix to blend instead of a food processor?
    Cheers, Katherine

7. Kim says:

I would love to try this but react badly to chia seed. Is there a suitable alternative Theresa?

8. Heather says:

You’re right Teresa! It is the best gluten free bread I’ve ever made! Thank you so much. It turned out perfectly. I had to use the blender as I don’t have a food processor. Mine was only in the oven for one hour and on 150 degrees as my oven tends to cook things very quickly and is overly hot! Highly recommend it. I toasted mine and had it with tahini :-)

9. Tamara says:

Hi Teresa, I am not allergic to gluten, but I liked the recipe so gave it a go and it has turned out beautifully. Agree, it is the best gluten free bread, in terms of nutrition (must be), texture and flavour. Enjoying mine fresh, spread with avocado. Thanks for another great recipe.

10. Sallie Volk says:

Hi Teresa , I’ve just read your book on digestive health . I have IBS and am planning to follow your 2 week meal plan . Can you please advise me which protein to buy . I’m a bit confused ! I can’t afford both .WPI or the pea protein or doesn’t it matter ? What other supplement should I purchase for the 2 weeks to get the best out of the program ?
    Thanks ,
    Sallie

• Hi Sally, 1 420 g tub of wpi vanilla will be suitable for the 2 weeks. Add 1 tablespoon to your smoothie in the mornings and enjoy 2 tablespoons as an afternoon snack with water or drinking coconut or almond milk or coconut water. Water is the best carrier for protein powders especially if you’re going through the plan and not sure of how the sugars in the coconut water or milk effect your digestion…..Shaking your smoothies is better then blending for IBS suffferers.

11. Maedee says:

I’m addicted to this dough!! I use as flat bread with sauce masala, or like a pita for the Mediterranean food. I also use as a pizza dough., as a tortilla for fish tacos…you name it!! I make a batch an I leave in the fridge, it last a week, well if is not gone before :)
    I love your fresh and health approach to a healthier eating. I have friends who had asked me if I miss junk food…Heck no!!!
    Hugs from California :)

12. Hi Sue,
    Good question, the high power blenders tend to process the quinoa too finely, which results in more of a quinoa flour/quinoa meal consistency. . It will not affect the nutritional value of this bread, it just that the texture will be a lot different.

Hope this makes sense, let me know how you go.

Tx

13. Tori Fox says:

Has anyone tried this with added fruit for a fruit loaf? Thanks

14. Fiona says:

Simple ingredients, easy to make, turned out as expected – but not as fluffy as the photo. Wouldn’t call it the best gluten-free bread I’ve ever had though. Doesn’t toast too well as low in sugars/carbs. Worth pursuing though.