500 g (16 oz) raw walnuts
4 heaped tablespoons raw cacao
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
20 fresh medjool dates, pitted
zest from 1 orange + a little juice or a few drops of orange oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe avocados, skin and stone removed
6 fresh dates, pitted or ¼ cup organic maple syrup
½ cup cacao powder
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4cup) water or almond milk or coconut milk
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4cup) cold-pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
pinch of sea salt
extra water to mix if needed
1. Combine walnuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
2. Process until ground and add dates, orange zest and vanilla.
3. Process again until combined and spoon into a mixing bowl.
4. Add the juice of half to one orange then mix through until combined.
5. Press cake into a 15 cm (6 inches) small round baking tin – spring form is the best. I normally line the cake tin with baking paper or plastic wrap first so I can easily remove the cake afterwards.
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
7. Remove cake from the tin.
8. Combine chocolate frosting ingredients together in a high-speed speed blender such as a Vitamix until creamy.
9. Spread over the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.