GREEN GOODNESS SOUP
In celebration of our Kamalaya Health Spa giveaway, here is a yummy green goodness soup from The Healthy Chef Recipe APP. Nutritious, delicious and power-packed with goodness! I love to make this soup when I need healthy comfort food to feed and nurture my body.
WHAT’S GREAT ABOUT IT
Lentils are low GI, packed with protein and fibre and provide slow burning carbs for sustained energy. Kale is rich in vitamins A, C and K and folic acid, as well as calcium, potassium, copper and iron. These nutrients are necessary for healthy bones, skin and eyes. The Green Goodness pesto teamed up with a generous amount of baby spinach provides the body with anti-inflammatory nutrients to nourish the immune system.
ingredients (Serves 2)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks, sliced
6 sprigs thyme
4 bay leaves
½ cup French green lentils
1 bunch Tuscan kale, washed and finely sliced
100g baby spinach leaves
4 cups water
generous pinch of sea salt and pepper
1 bunch basil, washed and roughly chopped
1 bunch parsley, washed and roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed
60ml cold pressed olive oil
1 tabelspoon pumpkin seeds
juice from ½ lemon
sea salt and pepper to taste
- ADD basil, parsley, garlic, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, salt and pepper in to a high performance blender.
- BLEND until desired consistency.
- TASTE pesto and add extra lemon juice if needed.
- STORE in a glass jar and use as needed.
- SAUTE leek, bay leaves and thyme in the olive oil until softened.
- ADD the lentils and 4 cups of water then bring to the boil.
- REDUCE the heat and add the kale.
- SIMMER for 25 – 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- ADD baby spinach and through until wilted.
- BEFORE serving, mix through 2 – 3 tablespoons of Goodness Pesto in to the soup.
- TASTE and adjust the seasoning to your requirements.
- SERVE and enjoy.
This soup is delicious served the next day as the wholesome flavours infuse into the broth.
Goddess pesto can be made in advance and use as needed.