Healthy Lamingtons

Over the past few weeks I’ve been mixing and baking in my kitchen in an effort to create the perfect lamington just in time for Australia Day.  You will absolutely love my recipe – so simple, gluten free and made from fresh whipped organic eggs, coconut flour, vanilla and raspberry that make them purely delicious.  I’ve coated my lamingtons with a thin layer of dark chocolate ganache that I’ve made using a quality dark courveture 70 – 85 % mixed with a little coconut water or alternatively coconut milk for a creamier ganache. The secret to coating your lamingtons is to lightly spread the chocolate gananche thinly and delicately over the raspberry cake – then lightly dip in your coconut.  Be gentle – make them with love and you’ll have the most delicious lamingtons you’ve ever tasted.

What’s good about them:
I’ve used macadamia nut oil to make the cake which works really well with baking  - giving it a lovely buttery flavour. The oil is also an anti-inflammatory fat, that is kind to your arteries and can support good health and wellbeing. If you want this cake to be nut free make sure to use a good cold pressed coconut oil, butter or olive oil instead. I’ve used coconut flour mainly to make it gluten free and nut free so it’s kind to sensitive digestive systems – Coconut flour also doesn’t give you that high blood sugar / insulin spike that you can often get with refined white flours. Raspberries are high in antioxidants which can help to neutralise free radicals, they also marry perfectly with the dark chocolate making them taste amazing. Dark chocolate contains magnesium, iron and antioxidants and also contains compounds that act as stimulants believed to boost serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain – responsible for feelings of wellbeing and feeling great !

Makes 25 purely delicious lamingtons

Lamington Cake:

6 organic / free range eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 tablespoons raw honey or sweetener of your choice (organic maple syrup, few drops stevia etc)
1/4 cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) macadamia nut oil or  your choice of (cold pressed coconut oil,
butter or olive oil)
1/2 cup ( 70 g / 2  1/2  oz) coconut flour (see notes)
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 cup (150 g  / 5  1/4  oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup (75 g /  2  1/2  oz) shredded or desiccated coconut for rolling

Chocolate ganache:
100 g (3  1/2  oz) good quality dark eating chocolate  70 – 85 % cocoa – finally chopped
60 ml (1/4 cup / 2 fl oz)  coconut water or coconut milk

Preheat your oven to 160 C / 320 F.
Whip the eggs, vanilla and honey for 10 minutes until light and creamy.
Pour in the macadamia nut oil with the eggs still whipping and mix well.
Add the coconut flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
Pour lamington cake mix into a square 22 cm baking tin lined completely with baking paper.
Sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Cool for 30 minutes before lifting out from the tin to completely cool.
Divide cake into 25 mini squares.
Make your chocolate ganache:
Heat the coconut water or coconut milk if in a small pan until almost boiling.  Turn off the heat.
Add the chocolate and stir it through the coconut until you have a smooth silky ganache.
Spread each square of lamington with a little chocolate ganache very lightly and thinly with a small knife on all sides.
Roll in coconut and place onto a tray lined with baking paper to set.
Enjoy.

These delicious lamingtons will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.

NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE:
Protein: 2.7 g
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated: 3 g
Carbs: 6 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 4.2 g
kilojoules:  416

Notes: you can get coconut flour from most good health food stores.

Comments
51 Responses to “Healthy Lamingtons”
  1. Kim says:

Teresa, these look amazing. Where do you get the different flours from? Is coconut flour found in health food stores?

2. Jasmin says:

Could you use raw cacao instead of chocolate?

3. Liv B says:

My first attempt hasn’t really risen? Only about 2cm high… Is this how they should be? Still cooling now so I haven’t eaten them yet….

• These are small delicate mini lamingtons that that should be fluffy and moist. You need to whip your eggs until pale and creamy – this adds volume to your cake. 2 cm is not too bad for a first attempt. Cut into small squares when cold then ice with ganache. :)

4. Kelly Woodhouse says:

Can you use something to replace egg- for a vegetarian

5. Thanks for sharing this great recipe and great use of macadamia oil. We use macadamia oil as a replacement to butter in most cake recipes – Perfect for Australia Day, look forward to testing them out soon.

6. Ai Mie says:

Teresa you have wowed me again! Can’t wait to make and share these wonderful little treats for our Australia Day weekend away with friends this weekend! Thanks x

7. jas says:

Delicious healthier version of lamingtons (my all time fave) can’t wait to bake some!

8. Natalie says:

how do you “whip” eggs? can you use electric beater?
    Just to confirm you need to hold each individual lamington to cover it in the chocolate -
    will try before Australia – look decicious!

9. Natalie says:

Is there a substitute for coconut flour?

10. Monique says:

You are a mind reader, I have been searching for a lamington recipe all morning. Perfect, really looking forward to trying these! X

11. Tanya says:

How many lamingtons per serve Teresa?

Looking forward to making them on the weekend!

12. Karly says:

Could you use grapeseed oil instead of the other options?

13. Charmaine says:

Oh yum!!! Just made & they are perfect! Didnt bother to ice & coconut just enjoying as a rasberry tea cake lol. Thankyou so much so greatful to you & your site!

14. Karen says:

These look amazing! If only I could eat eggs

15. Maria says:

Hi Teressa, thank you for your inspiration and still been able to enjoy something sweet with coffee. I would like to know is it possible to blend the above mixture in the vitamix? We have just purchased one and are keen to use in every way possible.

16. Maria says:

17. Lyf says:

Has anyone tried using an egg replacer?

18. Jane says:

I really can not stomach cocnut water is there something else I could use instead.

19. Tracy says:

anyone who invents a healthy lamington is a friend of mine! :)

20. Danika says:

Made these today and they are just delicious…although me being super forgetful, I forgot the raspberries…so now I will have to go and make them again for Australia Day :) Thanks for the delicious-ness!!

21. Ali Minagall says:

YUM! Can’t wait to try these!

22. Tracy says:

hi Teresa
    I can’t find coconut flour anywhere in Singapore, if I use almond meal instead (or wholemeal flour) how much would I need?
    thanks very much
    Tracy

• Rachel says:

You can get coconut flour in Singapore – the brand is bobs red mill – can buy at fair price finest, or tanglin mall (either the supermarket or brown rice paradise)

• Tata Bang says:

I prepared all the things except “COCOCOCOCNUT flourrrrrr”!!!!!!! By the way I’m staying at singapore

23. Monique says:

Made a variation of your lamingtons last night, so delicious! Thank you :) http://cookchewconquer.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/gluten-free-lamingtons.html

24. Kristina says:

Made these yesterday, followed recipe and once baked they were a little flat, not to worry, I cut the sponge in half and put the one on top of the other (the raspberry tops together). Cut them into mini lamingtons, I got 20, and coated with the chocolate ganache and coconut. Fantastic and perfect size for little hands :)

• tara says:

Mine were flat too and didnt cook properly. They were burnt around the edges and top/bottom but raw in the middle. I will try using you idea and see if it works!

25. Kate says:

Hi Teresa, just had to say how much we loved this recipe! Just ticked all the boxes for us & it was such a fun thing to do with my 7 yr old (who gobbled them up). Thank you!! so delicious,..

26. Amanda says:

These lamingtons were pretty good. I cut mine in half and sandwiched together with some raspberry coulis before coating in choc which gave them a bit more moistness and sweetness.

27. Justine says:

OMG! So very delicious :-) thanks Teresa

28. Naomi says:

These are sensational! They make conventional sugar and white flour laden lamingtons redundant. Like seriously, they would all taste inferior to these tasty morsels! I used a mini muffin tin to make mine, pressed a raspberry in to each one with the vision of making lamington balls. They puffed up so nicely! I coated them with a chocolate mixture I made with cocoa butter, coconut oil and carob and cocoa powder to avoid the sugar in store bought chocolate bars, added some coconut milk and rolled them in some shredded coconut! Wah-lah…Lamington balls. Everyone has loved them and been very surprised to hear they are healthy!

29. tata Bang says:

You can get the coconut flour at tanglin market place at S$14.90.

30. Jess says:

I didn’t have a 22cm square lamington tin, so I used a patty pan tin.. and cooked them for 12 minutes. PERFECT! plus I don’t have to worry about the crumbly crumbs from cutting the cake.. They’re just round instead of traditional squares.. Haven’t iced yet, but can tell they’ll be fabulous.

31. Robyn says:

Hi Teresa
    I’m so excited to have discovered you and your website. Due to numerous food intolerances it’ll be my go to site from now.
    Until now I have been using the gluten free plain and self raising flours for my baking. How do you think they compare with the coconut flour? Can I use them in this recipe?
    Thanks for your help

32. DesignerJewels says:

Just, wow. I’ve made stacks of your recipes, and just finished this ahead of Australia Day tomoz- there won’t be any leftover, they are just perfection.

33. Gabby says:

These were so perfect for Australia day, all my friends loved them!

34. Beck says:

I LOVE the sponge, the 85% cocoa lindt dark chocolate is a bit overwhelming though, I’ll definitely be trying with a milkier chocolate, in reality 100g amongst 25 lamingtons is only 4g of naughty per piece!

Trackbacks
  1. [...] Lastly, this lamington recipe by the Healthy Chef just in time for Australia Day. Grain free, refined sugar free, gluten free deliciousness. If you’re on the other side of the world and have no idea about lamingtons, it’s probably a good thing as the conventional ones are terrible for you. These however are a revelation, so why not get acquainted! [...]