Ricotta Pancakes

I remember making my first pancake when I was 10 years old.  It was a Richard Simmons recipe from his TV show at the time and was made from rolled oats, egg whites, milk and vanilla.  I’ve been making pancakes ever since – using different flours, seeds and nut meals to create the most amazing flavour combinations. I love folding in pillows of soft creamy ricotta or other variants like smashed banana that add another dimension of flavour and texture. A touch of cinnamon is also a lovely addition. Serve them with your choice of seasonal fruit such as blueberry, fig or smashed raspberry and lush organic  yoghurt.  Enjoy.

Ricotta and eggs are a good source of protein, which sustains lean muscle and supports a healthy metabolism. Oats are a great source of soluble fiber that not only fills you up, but also helps delay stomach emptying, so you feel full for longer.  According to studies, the beta-glucan fiber found in oats can help regulate your appetite for up to 4 hours as well as help lower cholesterol. Cinnamon improves insulin’s efficiency, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.

Makes 8 delicious pancakes

3 whole organic / free range eggs or 6 egg whites
1 tablespoon flaxseed or chia seed
1 cup (100 g/3  1/2 oz) rolled oats  (see notes for variations )
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
150 g  (3/4 cup / 5  oz)  good quality deli style ricotta  (see notes)
1/2 cup (125 ml/4  1/2 fl oz ) your choice of milk (almond, rice, seed, coconut,  dairy)

Combine eggs, milk, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and chia – rest for 15 minutes to soften the chia and oats. Give it a mix half way through resting.
Add ricotta and break it up into the pancake mixture.
Heat a non – stick pan over a low – medium heat with a little macadamia nut oil, olive or coconut oil and spoon in the pancake mix, 2 tbsp of mix per person.
Flatten the top out slightly from each pancake.
Turn down the heat and cook over a low heat so that it cooks through.
Flip over and cook the other side.
Serve with blueberries,  thick organic natural yoghurt , banana + a little raw honey

Nutrition per hotcake
Protein: 7.1 g
Carbs: 9 g
Total fat: 5.3 g
Saturated: 2 g
kilojoules: 476
Fiber: 1.4 g
Sodium: 67 mg

Variations: ( gluten free alternatives)
Use 1/3 cup (45 g / 1  1/2 oz) coconut flour in place of the rolled oats – omit ricotta if dairy free and  add 1 small smashed banana. Use appropriate milk such as coconut.

Use 1 ½ cups (150 g / 5  1/4 oz) almond meal or  Hazelnut meal in place of the rolled oats.

Notes:
Serve with fresh figs, honey and pistachio
Top with smashed raspberries and lush vanilla yoghurt

MORE PURELY DELICIOUS PANCAKE RECIPES:

Pancakes with Orange blossom honey
Blueberry + Banana Pancakes
Buckwheat Pancakes

Comments
16 Responses to “Ricotta Pancakes”
  1. Kath says:

Hi Teresa, do you use almond meal natural or blanched?

2. sarah says:

Awesome! Thanks for the gluten free variation Teresa – just what I need.

3. Julie says:

Thank you Teresa, you are amazing and your recipes are fantastic.
    Thank you for sharing them.
    I wish you would open a cafe in Melbourne I miss Sydney.
    Kind regards
    Julie

4. Mary says:

These pancakes are truly delicious! I made the mixture last night, omitting ricotta as I am lactose intolerant, and cooked them this morning.Yummy! I ate them with strawberries and lactose free yogurt and a little swig of pure maple syrup!
    Thankyou for revving up my morning.
    Mary

5. Carol Blacker says:

Im going to make them Sat am because my husband loves pancakes and I’ve been trying to convince him that he needs to eat healthier .So far the Warm Beef Salad was a winner,fingers crossed for the pancakes! Its been fantastic to have the connivence to have to not think of wat to cook when a recipe comes floating my way, via email.
    Thankyou

Carol

6. Honey says:

I tried this recipe this morning topped with blueberries, strawberries, yoghurt and honey – amazing!

Honey

7. Mariam says:

Halved the recipe to have for breakfast today, it was delicious! I’ve struggled coming to terms with pancakes made without white flour and refined sugar but I loved these and they were so filling thanks to the oat and protein!

I’ll definitely make a full batch and keep the leftovers in the fridge to make for a tasty school day brekky! I added a little rice malt syrup and vanilla to the batter and served it with honey, fresh peaches and berries!

8. Claire says:

I love, love this! I made this for our preschoolers for breakfast yesterday and again today. They taste so clean and are so satisfying. We had these with raspberries and a touch of maple syrup.
    Delicious! I will make these again.
    Thanks for the brilliant recipe Teresa!

9. Cel says:

These pancakes were fantastic! I’m so glad I’ve found your website. I love to eat healthy but find so many clean recipes include protein powders or ingredients that are harder to find. This is a healthy alternative to eating oats for brekkie everyday. Going to make your museli muffins next :)

10. Jennifer says:

I live by myself but am keen to give this a whirl. I am fairly confident they will freeze ok. Teresa what do u think? Thanks

11. Amanda says:

Would it be possible to substitute the ricotta with natural,
    Greek style yoghurt?

12. lauren says:

I just wanted to know if you could make the batter the night before to use in the morning??
    I made these on the weekend and they are so delicious.
    Thanks Teresa

Lauren

13. Lisa says:

I made these the other week and they are so yummy. I made the mix the night before and froze half of the batter,(I have since used the frozen batter and it was fine). I didn’t really need eat anything for almost 4 hours after these which was great because I have a fast metabolism and usually need to eat every 2-3hrs. Absolutely love your recipes Teresa :)

14. Jessica says:

Thank you Theresa, I made these with the coconut flour, coconut milk and banana variation, they were Yummy, been eating your healthy version of pancakes three days straight for breakfast. I also added pea protien to these :)

15. Laura says:

Just made these but used mashed pumpkin instead of ricotta, delicious.