Roasted Beetroot Salad with Fig + Smashed Raspberry Dressing

I want to share one of my favourite salads of the moment made form roasted beetroot, ripe autumn figs, baby spinach and smashed raspberry dressing scented with pomegranate.  I love roasting large bunches of beetroot over a weekend, it provides a lovely base for salads during the week when I’m pressed for time. Roasted beetroot lasts about 4 days in the fridge and I love it with my smashed raspberry dressing that allows all the flavours to dance on your taste buds. The fig is optional – but a great addition when they are in season – you can also use roasted cinnamon pumpkin if figs are unavailable. I love to eat it simply as is or topped with creamy white goats cheese or Persian feta that rounds out the flavour.  It is also lovely served along side  pan roasted salmon or medium rare grass fed beef fillet.

Beetroots are packed with phytonutrients called betalains that provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support to the body. They are also high in minerals  such as calcium and magnesium that help with bone mineralization and muscle contraction. Figs are low GI and high in fibre to help keep you full and support healthy digestion. Raspberries are antioxidant rich super berries high in anti inflammatory nutrients to promote optimum health and vitality. Spinach is high in phyto-nutrients to nourish your immune system. Black pepper contains an active ingredient called piperline that is known to enhance digestion and work as an anti-inflammatory.

800 g fresh whole beetroot
100 g baby spinach leaves or rocket
2 fresh ripe figs
180 g raspberries
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (see notes)
1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 180 C.
Trim the whole beetroot from leaves and wash well with the skin still on.
Wrap each whole beetroot in foil and place onto a baking tray.
Roast for about 45 minutes (large beetroot)  or 30 minutes (small beetroot) until a skewer can easily be inserted through the core.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the foil for about 1 hour – this process allows the skin to be removed easily.
Remove the foil and peel the skin off with your fingers – a good idea is to wear disposable gloves and the beetroot skin should slip off very easily when rubbed gently.
Cut beetroot into quarters if large or leave a few whole if small.
Arrange onto a serving platter or large bowl along with baby spinach leaves.
Top with fresh figs.
Smash raspberries with a fork – leaving a few whole berries for decoration.
Add pomegranate molasses, black pepper and olive oil.
Spoon the dressing over the salad and enjoy.
Serves 4.

Serving Suggestions:
Top with goats cheese, Persian feta or labneh (yoghurt cheese).
Top with roasted walnuts, pumpkin seeds or pistachio.
Use roasted cinnamon pumpkin or sweet potato in place of figs.
Serve alone or along side natural protein sources such as fish, green burgers, spinach + ricotta tart or grass fed beef fillet.

Notes:
Pomegranate molasses is available from all good grocers, supermarkets and Middle eastern food markets. If you can’t find it you can use a good aged balsamic vinegar.

Nutritional info per serve:
Protein: 5.3 g
Total fat: 4.3 g
Saturated: 0.5 g
Carbs: 21 g
Fiber: 9.9 g
Sodium: 115 mg
kilojoules: 610

Comments
16 Responses to “Roasted Beetroot Salad with Fig + Smashed Raspberry Dressing”
  1. Just – WOW! This recipe is making my mouth water, I’ll be making it FOR SURE on my day off.

Teresa, you are amazing! Thank you for your constant inspiration and fantastic recipes. The pic is gorgeous too :) X

2. Sharon Evans says:

I can’t wait to try this salad. I make a raw beetroot salad and I was wondering if it makes a difference to the nutrients if they are raw or cooked. Sometimes it is better to eat cooked veggies because they can be digested more easily. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

3. Kylie says:

Oh my goodness…this looks amazing!!! We have friends over this weekend & this will be on the menu for sure!
    Thank you!!!

4. Teresa says:

Sounds divine! Going out this morning for the ingredients–on the menu tonight! Borrowed your Anti-Ageing cookbook from the library, love the recipes. Is it still available in bookstores?

5. Rae says:

Teresa, your food combinations are so amazing, and outside the box!! thank you!!

6. Julie B says:

Thanks Teresa, it looks delicious! Hubby should love this, Beetroot is one of his favourite foods.

7. Hannah says:

Thanks Teresa I made this recipe last night. It tasted great but even better looked beautiful and bright on the plate. Easy to make as well

8. Lisa (Yrlocalmarkets) says:

Yum! This would also be delicious with goats cheese or pieces of fried haloumi. Mmmmmm

9. Mel May says:

Thanks for another great recipe Teresa!! I’ve been having trouble sourcing pomegranate molasses in WA so tried making my own on the weekend. I just bought a litre of 100% pomegranate juice and reduced it in a frypan until it was nice and thick. I obviously haven’t been able to compare this to a store bought version but it did turn out quite well.

10. Lisa says:

Hi Teresa

Sounds great. If you leave out the figs and use the balsamic instead of pomegranate molasses will it bring the carb content down by much?

Many thanks

Lisa

11. Nicole says:

Pomegranate Molasses is available at Angry Almond Nedlands and Subiaco markets in WA

12. Sue says:

I had run out of Pomegranate molasses so I used some vino cotto…..still delish!

13. Andy says:

This salad was AMAZING. I made it earlier in the day with beetroot roasted the night before, persian feta & walnuts. I kept the dressing separate in a jar. The rest of the family had it before I got home and forgot the dressing but still thought it was delicious. I added the dressing when I got home and it was sensational! Served with a trimmed roast rack of lamb. Teresa I just love how attractive your food looks which makes my family WANT to eat healthily.