Purely Delicious Cashew Milk

Cashew Milk Graded A-5126

I absolutely love drinking cashew milk.  It’s purely delicious, velvety and creamy white that’s perfect on it’s own, served along side a batch of my chocolate chip cookies or blended into super yummy power smoothies. What I love about cashew nut milk is that it requires no straining after blending, so all you have to do is pour into a glass and enjoy. I love using aromatics such as vanilla bean or cinnamon to enhance the flavour profile then add a few spoonfuls of  my  protein to boost the protein levels in the milk.

Cashews are high in the amino acid tryptophan which helps to make serotonin – the FEEL GOOD hormone responsible for feelings of wellbeing and feeling great! Serotonin is also crucial for the proper development of the enteric nervous system (ENS) to support digestion. Cashews are also a good source of magnesium essential for energy metabolism and nerve function. The heart healthy fats are mostly anti-inflammatory oleic fats. These monounsaturated fats are the same as found in olive oil and macadamia that are good for cardiovascular health.

1 cup (145 g / 5 oz)  raw cashew nuts
4 cups (1L / 2 pints)  filtered water
2 fresh pitted dates or 1 tablespoon manuka honey (see notes)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
pinch sea salt

Soak cashews overnight in 2 cups of water.
Drain the soaking water.
Place cashews, 4 cups of water, dates, vanilla and sea salt into a high performance blender like a Vitamix.
Blend for 30 seconds or until milk is creamy white.  You don’t need to strain this milk – it will be pure, creamy and delicious.
Store in a glass bottle or jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Enjoy , nourish and delight.

Additional Boosters
Add a pinch of ground cinnamon
Add 2 tablespoons of healthy chef Pure Protein to pump up the protein in the milk
Use a little manuka honey, stevia or pure maple syrup in place of dates
Use 4 tablespoons raw cashew butter in place of whole nuts before blending

Notes:
Use my purely delicious cashew milk over your favourite muesli or made into a power porridge.
Use in smoothies, milkshakes or the best ever hot chocolate and chia tea.
For a creamier consistency add another 1/2  cup raw cashew when blending.

Nutritional info per 100 ml
protein: 2.2 g
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated: 1.1 g
Carbs: 2 g
Fibre: 0.7 g
kilojoules: 303

Comments
14 Responses to “Purely Delicious Cashew Milk”
  1. Angela says:

Yum! Didn’t realise was so simple. Ongoing cut the dates out and make this, thanks for another scummy recipie.

2. Clarisse says:

Cashew milk is my favourite nut milk – it also makes great vanilla cream too!!! Love your recipes Teresa – Keep them coming :) Inspiring!!

3. Great recipe! Thanks . Can’t wait to make this.

4. Jody says:

Hey Teresa
    Love this. But do I need to rinse the cashews after soaking? Jodyx

5. This is too good, I have started using cashews for all my creamy based toppings especially cheesecake as I experiment with raw foods. Love your work! Xx Dani

6. Rachel says:

You can use 4 Tablespoons of cashew butter instead of 1 cup of cashews? Is that correct? If so, I can easily make it with a regular blender as I do have the butter but not a high powered blender!

7. Seona says:

How long will this last? Thanks :)

8. Nicole says:

I’ve tried a few of the other milks (almond, pumpkin, even coconut), but this was the easiest by far! To get the texture right on the other ones required straining which was fun but laborious – this milk was literally ready in 1 minute! I also started with some cashew cream (slightly softer than cashew butter but made in the same way) left over from my breakfast fruit salad, and just thinned the rest with the required amount of water (and date!).

I quickly followed up with your macadamia milk which was just as easy – thanks for the inspiration! What an easy way to eat real whole food.

9. Anne healey says:

Hi Theresa, mine has turned out a little chunky this morning? Do you have any suggestions?