Recovery Smoothie

In order to train properly and recover quickly you need to look at your chosen activity, how long it lasts, time of day and the nutritional strategy to assist in energy supply and recovery. What you eat and drink before and after your workout, allows the body to recover and perform at its optimal best.

Your body needs protein for repair, quality carbs to replenish glycogen (choose foods rich in magnesium and potassium that are necessary for nerve and muscle contraction.  I love this recovery smoothie and often drink it after an exercise session to help replenish and refuel. What I love about this smoothie is that you blend the whole fruit, so you get a good dose of plant based fibre that will help keep you full, help lower cholesterol and stabilise blood glucose levels. I love to enjoy it for breakfast as a complete healthy start to the day.

What’s great about it:
The best time to consume protein is immediately after exercise, when blood flow to the exercised muscles is high and the muscle is especially receptive to nutrients. Before exercise it can curb appetite and keep blood sugars stable to get you through your workout in the best physical condition. Oranges and bananas provide a delicious nutrient rich energy boost and they are both loaded with potassium, magnesium and antioxidants that will help the body repair and recover quicker.

Oranges + pineapples  are jam packed with B group vitamins including thiamine (B1) and B6, which are vital for energy metabolism and nerve function. Pineapples contain the enzyme bromelain, renowned for aiding protein digestion which allows your body to utilise immune boosting amino acids effectively.  Combine with Healthy Chef protein which is high in BCAA’s (branched chain amino acids). Studies show that BCAA’s can reduce fatigue and improve exercise performance, reduce muscle breakdown and facilitate healing. Bananas are a great source of potassium that helps to regulate muscle contraction and fluid balance in the body. They also add thickness and creaminess to this smoothie that will satisfy with every mouthful.

2 whole oranges, peeled and chopped
1 banana or 1 cup fresh pineapple
1/2 cup coconut water
2 tablespoons protein powder

Combine all the ingredients into a blender
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
Serves 1

Add 1/2 teaspoon organic matcha green tea powder or Natural Immune Support to boost antioxidants + recovery.

What to eat before + after a workout
Nut free protein balls
The essential guide to choosing the right protein powder

27 Responses to “Recovery Smoothie”
  1. caitlin says:

delicious! does this serve 1 or 2? and if i were to have it for breakfast would it be filling enough alone?
    just wanna double check :) love all your recipies!!

2. Serves 1 Caitlin. Will be filling enough for breakfast for sure. :)

3. Diana says:

Hi Teresa, this sounds great. so quick and easy. I am always searching for quick, easy ways of replenishing my fourteen, thirteen and ten year old sports mad kids so it looks perfect. My one problem is that the fourteen year old boy can’t stand bananas. What would you suggest as a substitute with similar benefits? We are in Tassie and have laden apples trees at the moment. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

4. Leah says:

Hi, I am also after a substitute for the banana. It’s the one fruit I don’t like!
    My other problem is that I am fructose intolerant, so there are so many fruits I should not eat, it’s really hard and sad at times!! Lol.
    Would love some alternatives to banana for increasing potassium in my diet.
    Looks amazing btw. :-)

5. For those who want a substitute for banana please add 2 potassium rich peeled kiwi fruit to the orange and blend as directed. Enjoy.:)

6. Katrina says:

I had never heard of the Vitamix but have just watched your demonstration videos which I find so helpful. I much prefer them to just reading a receipe. Even though I already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, blender and food processor I have never really used the food processor because it doesn’t seem as easy as the Vitamix. Please tell them to keep getting you to video demonstrations as that is what will convince me to purchase one not just reading a receipe.

7. Diana says:

Thanks for the kiwi fruit tip Teresa. Any reason why they should be peeled?

8. You don’t have to if you don’t want to Dianne…I prefer them without the fuzzy skin. xx

9. Leah says:

Oh great! Thanks! Love kiwi fruit!

10. Natalie says:

I dot eat dairy, any suggestions for a yogurt substitute? Thanks so much!

11. Natalie says:

I dont eat dairy, any suggestions for a yogurt substitute? Thanks so much!

12. This smoothie looks incredible!

Teresa, I am a recent convert to your amazing blog. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m going to try this ASAP – the only thing is my blender isn’t powerful enough to crush ice, so I will be using frozen banana and hoping for the best :)

13. Jenny says:

Today I made the banana & blueberry smoothie I have now made everyone of your smoothie’s. I used grapeseed oil as I’m using that before purchasing flaxseed oil, <3 <3 <3 it. For some reason I thought you added yoghurt but the recipe doesn't include that . Also how many does this serve I didn't share. :) :)

14. Judy says:

Hi Teresa, I do my workouts mid to late afternoon. As this has banana in it, would you recommend substituting another fruit for banana ( due to how late in the day I would be drinking it and that bananas are high energy) ?

• No at all Judy, Banana makes a great addition to power smoothies any time of day. When talking carbs – your body needs them – In order to train properly and recover quickly you need to look at your chosen activity, how long it lasts, time of day and the nutritional strategy to assist in energy supply and recovery. What you eat and drink before your workout, allows the body to train in the best possible condition. Your meals should generally be a mix of carbohydrate for energy and protein to repair the body.

15. Judy says:

Thank you for your prompt reply. As I workout 6 afternoons a week, alternating cardio days with weight days, would you recommend this as a recovery drink for all of those days or do you recommend alternating with another protein drink recipe.

16. What a great effort ! 6 days a week is awesome. Once things for sure you want to vary your drinks so you don’t get bored with them. Check out the other smoothie recipes on my site such as papaya energy, strawberry + stress buster also another great one that I often make is my green kiwi fruit smoothie you get about 4 whole kiwi (peeled) and blend with ice, apple juice, mint or honeydew. Delicious potassium hit..also a simple banana smoothie made with banana, yoghurt ice and a little apple juice is great. :)

• Judy says:

Fabulous. Sounds great. Thank you.
      I have Beetroot and lentil salad a few times a week. If I have approx 200g Beetroot as part of this salad and then a banana on the same day in a smoothie is that too much of a potassium hit ?
      P.s.I am really looking forward to trying your detox salad for lunch tomorrow.

17. you will love my detox salad ! A little roasted or raw beetroot in that is lovely too ! :) x

18. Judy says:

Great. Thanks

19. Sheree says:

Teresa, is this enough calories for breakfast or should you have something else as we’ll?

• Hey Sheree – this depends on your goals and what you want to achieve. You can add additional boosters such as frozen blueberries, chia seeds, LSA to increase calories if needed. :) x

20. colleen simpson says:

great taste

21. Thelma says:

Hi Teresa
    You look fab with lastest photo of workout.

Just love your recipes and so excited to get started with your app.

22. Martha says:

We always do an orange smoothie before we work out, we like our smoothies frosty, so we peel our oranges at night ready to go and pop them in the freezer, works perfect. If we want them creamier we put in a spoon of yogurt.

1. [...] FUEL: Recovery Smoothie Energy Smoothie Superfood Berry Smoothie Protein Power Balls Blueberry + Banana Pancakes Bircher [...]