Recovery Smoothie

In order to train properly and recover quickly you need to look at your chosen activity, how long it lasts, time of day and the nutritional strategy to assist in energy supply and recovery. What you eat and drink before and after your workout, allows the body to recover and perform at its optimal best.

Your body needs protein for repair, quality carbs to replenish glycogen (choose foods rich in magnesium and potassium that are necessary for nerve and muscle contraction). Consumption of small protein rich meals 10 – 25g of protein at each time throughout the day after your training session is the best for protein synthesis. Good protein rich meals are my Recovery Smoothie, Superfood Smoothie, Protein Balls or my Banana Chia Smoothie.  Good carb sources are fresh fruits including banana and oranges that are rich in potassium and magnesium. Organic Superfood and Natural Immune Support also works as an anti-inflammatory and helps the body recover properly after training.

I love this recovery smoothie and often drink it after an exercise session to help replenish and refuel. What I love about this smoothie is that you blend the whole fruit, so you get a good dose of plant based fibre that will help keep you full, help lower cholesterol and stabilise blood glucose levels. I love to have it for breakfast as a complete meal.

2 whole oranges, peeled and chopped
1 cup fresh pineapple or 1 cup coconut water.
1 teaspoon Natural Immune Support
2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Pure Native WPI or Organic Pea protein
1 cup Ice to blend

Combine all the ingredients into a Vitamix.
Blend until thick, icy and creamy.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
Serves 1

BOOSTERS:
Superfood Supplements – Superood boosters to support healthy immune function.

NATURAL IMMUNE SUPPORT

Comments
25 Responses to “Recovery Smoothie”
  1. caitlin says:

delicious! does this serve 1 or 2? and if i were to have it for breakfast would it be filling enough alone?
    just wanna double check :) love all your recipies!!

2. Serves 1 Caitlin. Will be filling enough for breakfast for sure. :)

3. Diana says:

Hi Teresa, this sounds great. so quick and easy. I am always searching for quick, easy ways of replenishing my fourteen, thirteen and ten year old sports mad kids so it looks perfect. My one problem is that the fourteen year old boy can’t stand bananas. What would you suggest as a substitute with similar benefits? We are in Tassie and have laden apples trees at the moment. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

4. Leah says:

Hi, I am also after a substitute for the banana. It’s the one fruit I don’t like!
    My other problem is that I am fructose intolerant, so there are so many fruits I should not eat, it’s really hard and sad at times!! Lol.
    Would love some alternatives to banana for increasing potassium in my diet.
    Looks amazing btw. :-)

5. For those who want a substitute for banana please add 2 potassium rich peeled kiwi fruit to the orange and blend as directed. Enjoy.:)

6. Katrina says:

I had never heard of the Vitamix but have just watched your demonstration videos which I find so helpful. I much prefer them to just reading a receipe. Even though I already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, blender and food processor I have never really used the food processor because it doesn’t seem as easy as the Vitamix. Please tell them to keep getting you to video demonstrations as that is what will convince me to purchase one not just reading a receipe.

7. Diana says:

Thanks for the kiwi fruit tip Teresa. Any reason why they should be peeled?

8. You don’t have to if you don’t want to Dianne…I prefer them without the fuzzy skin. xx

9. Leah says:

Oh great! Thanks! Love kiwi fruit!

10. Natalie says:

I dot eat dairy, any suggestions for a yogurt substitute? Thanks so much!

11. Natalie says:

I dont eat dairy, any suggestions for a yogurt substitute? Thanks so much!

12. This smoothie looks incredible!

Teresa, I am a recent convert to your amazing blog. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m going to try this ASAP – the only thing is my blender isn’t powerful enough to crush ice, so I will be using frozen banana and hoping for the best :)

xo

13. Jenny says:

Today I made the banana & blueberry smoothie I have now made everyone of your smoothie’s. I used grapeseed oil as I’m using that before purchasing flaxseed oil, <3 <3 <3 it. For some reason I thought you added yoghurt but the recipe doesn't include that . Also how many does this serve I didn't share. :) :)

14. Judy says:

Hi Teresa, I do my workouts mid to late afternoon. As this has banana in it, would you recommend substituting another fruit for banana ( due to how late in the day I would be drinking it and that bananas are high energy) ?
    Thanks.

• No at all Judy, Banana makes a great addition to power smoothies any time of day. When talking carbs – your body needs them – In order to train properly and recover quickly you need to look at your chosen activity, how long it lasts, time of day and the nutritional strategy to assist in energy supply and recovery. What you eat and drink before your workout, allows the body to train in the best possible condition. Your meals should generally be a mix of carbohydrate for energy and protein to repair the body.

15. Judy says:

Thank you for your prompt reply. As I workout 6 afternoons a week, alternating cardio days with weight days, would you recommend this as a recovery drink for all of those days or do you recommend alternating with another protein drink recipe.

16. What a great effort ! 6 days a week is awesome. Once things for sure you want to vary your drinks so you don’t get bored with them. Check out the other smoothie recipes on my site such as papaya energy, strawberry + stress buster also another great one that I often make is my green kiwi fruit smoothie you get about 4 whole kiwi (peeled) and blend with ice, apple juice, mint or honeydew. Delicious potassium hit..also a simple banana smoothie made with banana, yoghurt ice and a little apple juice is great. :)

• Judy says:

Fabulous. Sounds great. Thank you.
      I have Beetroot and lentil salad a few times a week. If I have approx 200g Beetroot as part of this salad and then a banana on the same day in a smoothie is that too much of a potassium hit ?
      P.s.I am really looking forward to trying your detox salad for lunch tomorrow.

17. you will love my detox salad ! A little roasted or raw beetroot in that is lovely too ! :) x

18. Judy says:

Great. Thanks

19. Sheree says:

Teresa, is this enough calories for breakfast or should you have something else as we’ll?

• Hey Sheree – this depends on your goals and what you want to achieve. You can add additional boosters such as frozen blueberries, chia seeds, LSA to increase calories if needed. :) x

20. colleen simpson says:

great taste

Trackbacks
  1. [...] FUEL: Recovery Smoothie Energy Smoothie Superfood Berry Smoothie Protein Power Balls Blueberry + Banana Pancakes Bircher [...]