Cauliflower + Leek Soup with Parsley Oil

One of my favourite quick soup recipes of the moment is my delicious cauliflower and leek soup. There is something magical when you combine cauliflower and leek and you instantly feel satisfied and nourished after eating it. The most important thing to remember when making this magnificent soup is not to cook it for too long. A brief 5 – 10 minutes is all you need otherwise the freshness is lost. The parsley oil is my little finishing touch to this soup and compliments the clean flavours perfectly. This soup is great to enjoy as a light supper either on it’s own or with  my quinoa + chia bread or a piece of sourdough and melted Gruyere.

Cauliflower is rich in sulphur which works as an anti-inflammatory as well as support digestion and boost your immune system. Leeks are part of the veggie family called allium vegetables, the same as garlic and onions. They contain the flavonoid kaempferol that can help protect the body from oxidative stress. The flavonoids in parsley help prevent oxygen-based damage to cells and the high levels of chlorophyll helps to oxygenate the blood.

1 large cauliflower, washed
1 leek, washed and sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
good pinch of white pepper
3 – 4 cups (750 – 1000 ml) water or home made vegetable stock

Slice the cauliflower finely into small bits with a large knife.
Sauté leek in 2 tablespoons olive oil over a medium heat for 3 minutes until softened.
Add the cauliflower and 2 cups of water plus a little sea salt and pepper.
Cover + cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and then remove from the heat.
Puree in a good high performance blender with 1 or 2 cups of water or stock, depending on the consistency you like.
Serve warm soup in large bowls with a light drizzle of parsley oil or your choice of grated Parmesan, Persian feta, cheddar or gruyere and enjoy.

Serves 4

Parsley Oil
2 large bunches parsley, washed and dried
1/2 cup cold pressed olive oil
Pinch of sea salt

Combine parsley, oil and salt into a blender and process until smooth.
Pour into a fine sieve and strain the oil from the solids.
Drizzle over cauliflower soup just before eating or enjoy over salads, fish or organic poached chicken.

Notes + Inspiration
Stir through 1/4 teaspoon of matcha which adds another depth of flavour and boosts antioxidants.
Add a hint of lemon and serve parsley oil with poached organic chicken or leafy greens.

Comments
18 Responses to “Cauliflower + Leek Soup with Parsley Oil”
  1. Irene says:

This has become on of my staple soups at home which my partner and I both adore. Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes and leading me to healthier food planning and cooking. I’ll have to whip up the parsley oil for my next batch of soup.

Irene

2. Rae says:

thanks Teresa – love the first cauliflower/white bean soup and have made it a number of times and everyone just LOVES it!!! and the parsley oil is an interesting topping .. I’ll give it a go!

3. Also one of my favourite soups, which I got into when I was doing paleo. However, I’m a bit naughty and add chopped bacon, which lifts it to a whole new level. :)

4. allie says:

Do you have a breakdown of calorie information please? Thanks!!!

5. Marie says:

Just made this soup and all ingredients together tasted amazing.

6. Di says:

Absolutely loved this soup, especially with the parsley oil and so easy to make! Just wondering, do you store the remaining parsley oil in the fridge or pantry?

7. Candace says:

AMAZING! I made this tonight and topped with shredded poached chicken. The parsley oil just takes this soup to a whole new level! Thanks :)

8. Jenny says:

Thanks for sharing this amazing collection of recipes. I made this soup for impromptu guests and we all loved it – especially the freshness that comes from the short cooking time. I agree that the parsley oil really tops it off. I served it with a market rocket, tomato & avocado salad, drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice & aged balsamic (and, to be honest, a little toasted sourdough Turkish bread) … followed by poached pears.

9. Carolyn says:

Made this today & it was delicious! So simple, nutritious & fast to prepare. I have a version similar with freshly ground fennel seeds & garlic which is also yum. Can’t wait to make yours again, thanks!

10. Megan says:

Teresa, this soup is amazing! I stirred a dash of natural goats yoghurt through it and the parsley oil really is amazing! I will be making this again!

11. Celia says:

Teresa, I am looking forward to trying out this soup with the parsley oil, does it keep very long for use in other meals?

12. Noreen Finch says:

I made this soup last night, delicious, my daughter said to just cook leek in small amount of water slowly til it caramelises, much healthier than the oil? What do you think?

13. Denis says:

I have all the ingredients and will cook it tonight. Cannot wait like the sound of the parsley oil thanks

14. Kelly says:

I made this soup today. I didn’t make the parsley oil but felt like the soup did need something extra to liven it up a bit. I added chives and a small amount of Phildaelphia Light Cream for Cooking and this was great!

15. Amanda says:

This is a really tasty soup- the parsley oil really added to it- the little bit of fat from the oil really enhanced the flavours. Will make again.