Healthy Chocolate Cake

1 Bowl Choc Cake_MG_5088
This is the perfect way to indulge with a delicious blend of super foods. My Chocolate cake is power packed with antioxidants to boost energy and promote wellbeing. Smooth and Sophisticated my chocolate cake contains Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla, which enhances the seductive chocolate experience. Notes of roasted almond and a hint of spice result in an unforgettable marriage of flavours.  It takes just a few minutes to mix up and perfect for impromptu dinner parties, picnics or just because you feel like some chocolate therapy.

The botanical name for the cacao tree is theobroma cacao – which means “food of the gods” in Greek. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports that  cacao can improve heart health, lower blood pressure and reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. Cacao is high in magnesium and iron and also contains compounds that act as stimulants believed to boost serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain that gives you a pleasurable sensation similar to the high people get after exercise.

3 cups (300g/10 1/2 oz) almond meal (see notes)
1/2 cup (60 g/2 oz) Naked Chocolate
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
4 free range/ organic eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
125 ml (1/2 cup/4 1/2 fl oz)  melted butter or your choice macadamia nut oil or olive oil
125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 1/2 fl oz) your choice of milk (dairy, nut, seed, rice)
1/2 cup (125 g / 4  1/2 oz) coconut sugar or 4 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 150 C (300 F) – fan forced. 170 C (325 F) no fan.
Combine almond meal, Naked Chocolat, coconut sugar and baking powder.
Add the eggs, melted butter and milk then mix well to form a smooth batter.
Spoon into a 20 cm / 8 inch round baking tin that you have lined with baking paper to prevent sticking.
Bake for 40 minutes or until just cooked through.It’s ok if the inside is a little moist when you remove the cake as it will create a lovely moist texture inside.
Remove from the oven and cool.
Cover with healthy chocolate mousse or chocolate ganache.
Serves 16

Popular Links
Chocolate Thickshake
Introducing Healthy Chef Organic Matcha

Comments
18 Responses to “Healthy Chocolate Cake”
  1. Rachel says:

Oh yumm I didn’t have the ingredients for a real ganache but melted some cocoa nibs, coconut butter (artisan) and a splash of milk for a sort of chocolate sauce-worked really well-another splendid recipe ms cutter thankyou

2. Jess Frisch says:

Can this be made into muffins?! Yummy!

3. Doris says:

The best chocolate cake I have ever tasted. I did not make ganache but I have added a big dollop of organic coconut yoghurt …yummy.

4. Alicia says:

Made It, Ate It, LOVED IT!
    As a new mum the “One Bowl” is a massive help for easy cooking.
    Please can you add some more “One Bowl” healthy baking recipes.
    Thank you again!

5. Haylee says:

Hi would you put this cake in the fridge or store in a cello place?? For how long is it ok?

6. Debbie says:

Just wondering if this is a dense cake or fluffy??

7. Adrienn says:

thank you so much for this recipe. I made it 4 times now, success every time:) we love all of your recipes.

8. Chessie says:

Would coconut milk work?

9. kellyj says:

can ganache curdle? when i added my cream to chocholate it seems to have gone lumpish if that makes any sense? also i seem to have liquid in the bowl too, does the cream seperate? were my ingredients too hot? i use an induction cooktop, only level 5 ( out of 14) so very low? should i start again??

10. Maria says:

I’m about to make this now.
    Just wondering whether any protein powder can be added to up the protein?

11. Lew says:

OMG, I made cake this morning for a lunch function and it was delicious! Served with fresh Strawberries and a little bit of vanilla ice cream – Yum! Thank you! Everyone of your recipes I’ve tried has worked perfect every time! xxLew

12. Brooke says:

Ive just made this cake and the ganache is thick and not smooth i did exactly as you said? Any reason why this might happen?

thanks

13. Carriann says:

Amazing….. made this morning. So easy so damn delicious

14. Jenny says:

Wow! I made this cake for a friends birthday party, and it was a hit. I didn’t think the kids would like it because it didn’t have any sugar, but they loved it too. I made a ganache of 100gm dark chocolate (75‰) and 270mls coconut cream. Simply amazing

15. Amanda says:

Just made this- the cake rose really well (I used a slice tin) and has good texture, but for me the almond flavour is too strong. I think I prefer the naked chocolate cake.

16. Sophie says:

Made this cake today for a friend’s birthday. She’s coeliac and so can’t have gluten and said it was the best tasting cake she’s had in a long while and probably the best consistency cake she’s ever had! Easy to follow recipe – I whipped the eggs for ten minutes to make sure they were really fluffy and then popped in the oven! Checked it at 35 mins and then it was done at 40 mins – rose beautifully and tasted great! Thanks for a fab recipe and for such a wonderful birthday cake! :)