Cherry + Coconut Smoothie

Graded Cherry Coconut Smoothie A-6348

Most mornings I start my day off with a smoothie after a workout. I was inspired to create my lush cherry + coconut smoothie purely because cherries are in season and are one of my favourite fruits to enjoy on its own as a healthy snack, or combined with coconut water for a purely delicious power packed smoothie. Make sure to buy the fresh cherries and freeze them yourself.  You can easily pit them using your fingers, much like you would a fresh date. The inclusion of a little raspberry gives the smoothie a slight tartness which I love and I know you’ll love it too.

What’s great about it:
Cherries are packed with the antioxidants C + E which help support the immune system and fight disease. Cherries also have potent anti-inflammatory compounds so they are perfect to help ease inflammation in sports recovery or arthritis. Cherries are also rich in melatonin which have a calming effect on the nervous system.  Young coconut  water marries wonderfully with the cherry and acts like an electrolyte that helps hydrate your cells, transport energy and boost circulation.

Berries such as raspberries are loaded with antioxidants + polyphenols to protect agains disease and inflammation and promote optimum health and vitality. Chia seeds are a delicious source of omega 3 EFA’s (essential fatty acids) which are essential for good health. Health benefits of omega 3 are helping to lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, improves symptoms of arthritis, improves mental health as the brain is 60% fat and needs omega 3 to function properly. Adding a scoop of protein to this lush smoothie makes the meal complete as it will help keep you fuller for longer and help your body repair and rejuvenate.

1/2  cup pitted cherries, frozen or fresh
1/4 cup (30 g / 1 oz / handful) frozen raspberries
Juice + flesh from 1 young coconut
2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Pure Native WPI
1 teaspoon chia seed

Combine cherries, raspberries, coconut juice and flesh, Healthy Chef protein + chia into a high performance blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into a serving glass or jar and enjoy.
Leftovers can be stored in glass jars in the fridge for an afternoon snack.
Serves 1

Graded Cherry Coconut Smoothie A2-6338

9 Responses to “Cherry + Coconut Smoothie”
  1. Marnie says:

I find your recipes inspiring and you are a genius Teresa. This cherry +coconut smoothie makes eating healthy easy and enjoyable (which could be said for all your recipes!) thank you!!

2. Tracey says:

Thanks for this recipe Teresa. I would love to see more recipes that help with inflammation as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and anything that can ease the pain is welcome. I have heard that papaya and cantaloupe are also great for inflammation as they contain magnesium like the coconut water does. I make a smoothie with coconut water, spinach, cantaloupe and papaya for a quick healing fix sometimes and it does seem to help.

• Hey Tracey you can also add natural anti inflammatories like ginger and turmeric to most of your smoothies and juices. T:) x

• Tracey says:

Thanks Teresa, I do make up ginger syrup (no sugar) to drink with hot water or mineral water and take turmeric in supplement form but probably should give it a try in the smoothies. I think it would need to be added to something that it wouldn’t overpower as it has quite a strong flavor. Good to hear you are writing your new book, I have your 80/20 one and the recipes are great.

• Tracey says:

I should have said potassium in my post above re the cantaloupe and papaya, not magnesium!

I just made this and added dried cranberries as I didn’t have any goji berries. Lovely and tangy and It is really nice to have on a hot afternoon.

3. Ann Nealon says:

I’m in the Uk and apart from reversing the seasons to cope with our winter I just love your recipes. have you ever thought of publishing the recipes on the website in one book?

And I’m about to invest in a Vitamix but there seem to be a couple of models available. can you suggest which is best for home use?

• Hi Ann – Yes I am writing my book now….so many recipes….it’s going to be awesome !! All the Vitamix Models are great and work really well. I have the total nutrition centre with the dry jug as well….the latest model is the professional series 500….You can’t go wrong with either… T:) x

• Anna says:

Hi Teresa

You inspired me to buy a Vitamix and I just experimented with this smoothie. It is delicious! My 3 year old and 1 year old also gave it the tick of approval. Your recipes are awesome. Thank you so much, and can’t wait for your new book!