Winter Warming Porridge With Chai Aromatics

Winter Warming Porridge With Chai Aromatics

This is a wonderful nourishing breakfast to help promote energy and vitality. I love porridge – it brings comfort and satisfaction to every mouthful and will keep you warm and cozy through these cold winter months. I love to add warming aromatics such as cinnamon and ginger that makes my porridge absolutely irresistible. Be generous with your milk  as this will make your porridge creamy and delicious.

What’s great about  it:
Brown rice is a good source of B vitamins which are needed for energy metabolism and for supporting the nervous system.  Adding flaxseed will give your porridge a boost the omega 3.  A touch of cinnamon will help to reduce blood sugar and ginger will warm the body and support digestion. I also love to mix through Healthy Chef Protein just before serving to help boost recovery and my immune system.

1 cup cooked short-grain brown rice (see notes)
1  cup milk (your choice)
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick or a generous pinch of ground cinnamon
a thin slice of fresh ginger or a pinch of powdered ginger
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
a little honey to serve

COMBINE brown rice, milk, water, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla in a pot.
HEAT gently and simmer for 10 minutes.
ADD a little extra milk if necessary. (Your porridge should be silky and creamy.)
SERVE topped with flaxseed, honey and extra hot milk.

Serves 2

Notes and Inspiration
Add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Protein  - Just combine first with 1/2 cup water or milk and mix through at the end of cooking.
Add 1 star anise or a few cloves.
Serve with hot milk on the side.
Serve with poached pear or Persian figs or ripe sliced banana.
Cooked quinoa or buckwheat can be used in place of the brown rice.

18 Responses to “Winter Warming Porridge With Chai Aromatics”
  1. Jo says:

Hi- This looks fabulous. I wondered if buckwheat kernels are the same as groats and do they need to be soaked overnight prior to use? Thanks!

2. Kate says:

Thank you for the lovely recipe…I’ve finally realised what to do with my packet of buckwheat that I’ve had sitting in my cupboard for a few months!!

3. Suzanne Marlow says:

Another wonderful ,simple and wholesome recipe from you using my favourite… Buckwheat.
    I make your Gluten Free bread recipe replacing Buckwheat for Quinoa, as i don’t like the taste of
    Quinoa, it turns out delicious every time!
    Just one point, i always soak my B groats before using them to remove their outer toxins would
    you recommend we do this for this recipe too?

Regards Suzanne :)

4. Rose says:

Looks amazing, whats the nutritional info for this recipe or where can I find it?

5. Hi Teresa, I usually soak my buckwheat overnight before cooking it, is that possible with this recipe?

6. Yum! I’m not a huge fan of oats but I love Chai flavours so would love to give this a go!

7. Fiona says:

Hi Teresa, I have not been game enough to buy flax seed yet – are the packets in coles and woolies GROUND flaxseeds or do these need grinding ??

• Georgie says:

Hi Fiona – it’s clear on the packets (and from looking at the product) whether they are ground or not. The whole linseeds/flax seeds look like seeds, not powder! This recipe calls for the ground ones (although I always put whole seeds in my porridge and they give a delicious little crunch!) :)

8. Anna says:

This was delicious. I really liked the addition of fresh ginger. Thank you for sharing :)

9. Ali says:

I had this for dessert last night. Just delicious! Love the Chai flavours.

10. Hollie says:

I make a similar porridge but with the addition of fresh grated turmeric, grated carrot, orange zest and mixed spice. Its lovely and warming over winter, give it a go, its delicous

11. Angela says:

Hi Teresa

What I don’t like about the Buckwheat Kernels on offer are that they are grown in China. Even the packets that state they are Australian Certified Organic are grown in China. I wonder if they are Organic because who would be checking them on this.

Yesterday at a health food store I noticed Bob Mills Organic Creamy Buckwheat Cereal. Is this as good as the Buckwheat Kernels? I assume it has been processed and the grains are smaller.

12. Sharon says:

Deliciously warming on such a cold wintery morning. I loved the nuttiness of the brown rice in contrast with using traditional oats. The chai spices work beautifully. Thankyou!

13. Hayley says:

Oh finally a lovely brown rice recipe!! With being gf and then so many recipes being paelo these days I was wondering if brown rice was even good for you so I love the info on that! Iv been trying to find a good brown rice porridge recipe for ages cause it’s delish! Thanks teresa!

14. Christine says:

Love the photography. Wanting to make this NOW! Just waiting for electricity to be retored to cooktop. xx

15. Shelley says:

Very nice. Next time i make it i will ommitt the water and add a cup of chai t and see if that ok.