How To Make Chocolate Ganache

Choc Ganache Graded-5045

The secret to a purely delicious chocolate cake is the ganache that covers it. It’s basically made from 2 simple ingredients chocolate and cream that are combined gently and lovingly until the final result is a smooth silky chocolate ganache.
Ganache has many different uses in patisserie and it can be used to cover chocolate cakes, poured into tart bases, used as a filling for truffles or biscuits or stirred through hot milk for a lush hot chocolate. When chocolate and cream are  blended together they form the perfect union, resulting in a rich and silky chocolate cream that tastes purely delicious.

The basic ratio for ganache is 1 part dark chocolate to 1 part cream. The higher the fat content of the cream, the richer and more stable the finished ganache will be. You can also use coconut cream to make ganache.  The most important tip is to keep the heat gentle when warming the cream so you don’t burn it. I love to use a good quality dark eating chocolate courveture (70%).

250 g (8.5 oz) good quality dark eating chocolate, chopped (70 – 85 % cocoa solids) I used Lindt 70 %
250 ml (8.5 fl oz) cream or  alternatively you can use coconut cream or milk if dairy free
pinch of salt

Chop your chocolate finely. If I’m using a large block of chocolate I like to shave it with a large knife, making sure there are no big pieces.
Pour the cream in a pot over a medium heat and simmer until just before boiling – do not boil.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Add the chocolate to the cream and a pinch of salt
Stand for 3 minutes without stirring.
Stir gently until smooth after 2 minutes – you don’t want to overwork the ganache and the mix should look glossy and smooth.
Pour over your cake to coat if covering the whole cake and you want a lovely glossy finish.
Cool your ganache at room temperature then spread it over the top of your favourite chocolate cake

Notes + Inspiration
To make chocolate truffles, refrigerate ganache for 4 hours and form into balls with a mini ice cream scoop.
Use coconut cream or milk in place of cream if you need your ganache dairy free.
Roll balls of ganache in quality Naked Chocolat and refrigerate until needed.
Add 1 tablespoon of Organic Superfood into the cream before adding the chocolate for a lush berry flavour.
Store ganache at room temperature in a cool place for up to 2 days and covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

To Make My Raw Chocolate Cake Click here

REALLY GOOD CHOCOLATE CAKE

Comments
8 Responses to “How To Make Chocolate Ganache”
  1. Linda says:

Hi Teresa, I love ganache! I’m wondering if you have any ideas for healthy white or pink ganache/icing/frosting?! My daughter is having a ‘pink’ birthday party so I want to cover her cake in something pink – either using a white frosting that I add natural food colour to, or something with raspberries/strawberries in it. Thanks!

• Jo says:

I am making this chocolate cake for my daughters birthday. Wondering if you have a couple of good icing suggestions. Thanks, Jo

2. Sara says:

Oh yummy!

I made this but halved it and put the Granache on top of the Chocolate Cupcake recipe you sent out the other day.

So good. Thank you!

Sara

3. Maura says:

Hi Teresa, I’m so pleased to have found you…your recipes are amazing!
    I have recently started an added/refined sugar free and processed food free lifestyle and have been experimenting baking real healthy treats for my family with great success so far (kids have been enjoying each and every sugar free snack they eat so far!!).
    I have struggled to substitute a good refined sugar free dark chocolate thou (I live in the UK and can find one in Holland and Barrett which contains xylitol, a natural sugar but not 100% satisfied with it). I see you use Lindt make…does it not bother you that it contains sugar?can you suggest me on this please? I feel a bit confused on all the names that sugar comes under and really would like to go for the most natural option. Thanks for being a source of inspiration for us all

• Hi Maura – thanks for your kind words…great you love the recipes. Most chocolate bars contain some sort of sugar …..refined or otherwise…a good option for you to try would be a 90 % version…which is quite lovely and rich and much less sweet or alternative some roasted cocoa nibs that are sugar free…:)

4. Viviannwil says:

This is such a simple recipe! Sometimes, all it takes to wow a crowd is coconut! Right? I’ve seen many poke cakes around the internet, but have yet to make one. This one might have just stolen my heart.

5. patti says:

My ganache didn’t thicken :(

My daughter is on a gluten, sugar and dairy cleanse so I made her The Naked chocolate cake. I rose about 1.5″, nothing like the picture, but I’m hoping it tastes good.
    Any thing I can do to thicken the icing?
    I need this for tomorrow.
    thanks

6. nonally says:

How to make stiff or stable chocolate ganache for cup cakes