How To Make The Perfect Dairy Free Milk

dairy Free Milks_0098

When I cook, I always use full fat or organic milk in my recipes and I always try to cater for people who have intolerances such as to lactose or dairy. Nut and seed milks are a delightful lactose-free alternative to traditional dairy. They can be incorporated into healthy diets and provide your body with essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium and zinc to nourish its immune system. Fermented dairy such as yoghurt and kefir with live cultures can normally be tolerated by people who are lactose intolerant as the bacteria in yoghurt digests the milk sugar for you. These fermented foods help support a healthy digestive system and immune function.

A dairy-free milk is basically nuts, seed or grains blended with filtered water and strained. I like to soak my nuts and seeds overnight if I have the time, which makes them easier to blend and provides for a much creamier milk product. The milk can also be flavoured with many delicious flavours such as vanilla bean, cacao and espresso and for a little sweetness I love to add a few fresh-pitted dates before blending.

Once you make your own homemade dairy-free milks, you’ll never want to go store-bought again. Many store-bought dairy-free milks contain preservatives, gums, stabilisers and added oils that you really don’t want to put into your body. To make nut or seed milks you only need to invest in a very inexpensive nut milk bag, muslin cloth or fine strainer.

I like my milk quite light and fresh so my ratio is normally around 1 cup nuts or seeds and 6 cups of pure water. I find making it this way is light and refreshing on the palate and  it tastes incredible. If you want a richer and creamier milk, decrease the amount of water by one or two  cups or add a spoonful or two of tahini or coconut butter before blending.

For busy movers and shakers, a quick dairy-free milk can be made by blending 2 tablespoons of almond or cashew butter with 2 cups of water. Blend until smooth and creamy then enjoy.

Dairy Free Nut or Seed Milk  – from my book Perfect Digestive Health
1 cup your choice nuts or seeds (soaked overnight in water and drained)
4 fresh dates, pitted
6 cups filtered water

Combine nuts into a blender with your pitted fresh dates and water into a high-performance blender.
Blend at high speed until creamy white. This should take about 15 – 20 seconds.
Strain through a fine sieve, muslin or nut milk bag.
Pour into clean bottles or jars.
Store milk for about 4 days in the fridge.

Notes + Inspiration
– Add Matcha or a spoonful of Naked Chocolate before blending for added antioxidants.
– Add a few spoonfuls of tahini or coconut butter for a creamier milk.
– Blend with a little ground ginger, cinnamon and vanilla bean for a yummy Chai milk.

Popular Links:
Chocolate Almond Milk
Macadamia Milk
Matcha Almond Milk

WALNUT-MILK-652x978

Comments
15 Responses to “How To Make The Perfect Dairy Free Milk”
  1. elena says:

Hi Teresa

As I´m vegan I will, for sure, try each one of your suggested dairy free milks. And I would like to ask you, please, may any of these milks be used in cooking or as in cereal breakfast? (I cook my oats in store-bought soy milk, regularly).

Thank you very much for your sensible and useful great recipes.
    elena

• Sybille says:

Thank you for above – love your tips, ideas and recipes (and amazing photography).

We make our own nut/oat milk. Do you have any ideas on what to do with the leftover nut pulp? We feel bad throwing it away.
      Wondering if there is any nutrition left in the pulp?

Sybille

• Yes almond pulp recipe coming up very soon ! T:) x

• Angela says:

I don’t strain the Almond milk. I use the unstrained milk in smoothies. I only lightly blend the nuts so that I still have bits of nuts in the smoothie. Delicious!

• Sandybeach says:

Thanks Angela. I will do that for smoothies. Most of the almond milk I make is used to make delicious almond lattes- can’t have bits in them.

• Sasha says:

I use the meal to make crackers and I also put it in other baked goods. Lately, I have been using it to make a kind of gluten free cinnamon toast crunch cereal. So good!

2. Sandy beach says:

How can I make the almond pulp from making the milk, into a product I can use to cook cookies, cakes etc…. Mine tends to be mushy and when i dry it in the oven it absorbs too much liquid.

Sandra

3. Sydney says:

Hi Teresa, Thanks very much for the above Info & recipes.

Can you tell me please , will any of these recipes make a successful ricotta, like the milk & white vinegar recipe for Ricotta.

Thanks again for all your great recipes

4. Kasia says:

Thank you for the recipes.

Could you tell me if it is ok to heat up the milk? Or froth it?
    I love to drink coffee with a lot of warm and frothed milk, but I always feel acid after it. I know that coffee is not the best, but I generally try to eat healthy and it is my treat :)
    I tried with diary free milk but it stratified (delaminated).

Thank you.
    Kasia
    Best regards,

5. Lou says:

Hello Teresa,
    Would a food processor work to blend the nuts etc. to make the milk? Or would an older style blender work on HIGH speed? I want try this ! Please reply ASAP
    Thanks

• Soak nuts first overnight – they may work in your older blender. Depends how good it is. Soaking softeners the nuts…you may also want to try using cashews or macadamias as they are softer to blend and may be less taxing on your blender. T:) x

6. Suzette says:

What about chia milk? I saw someone post on another site that they made it, but unfortunately didn’t list the recipe.:(

7. Michelle says:

What about coconut milk? I find the ones at the supermarket contain unnecessary ingredients. Would love to make my own if you have any suggestions?