Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies_MG_5404

These yummy cookies are full of all things wholesome and nourishing. What I love about this recipe is that it’s  very therapeutic to make and I adore slowly mixing the oat filled dough with my hands.  Baking cookies and cakes is fun and it’s a great way to de-stress and relax, put on some French music and have fun.

The secret to making these chocolate chip cookies lies in the mixing. Making sure the ingredients are well combined and gently massaged and squished together with your hands so that the oats still remain intact. Don’t be tempted to put this into a food processor – the result is not quite the same as hand made.  These cookies are perfect to pack into lunch boxes, pack into the back of a cycling jersey or dunk into an icy cold glass of chocolate almond milk.

What’s great about them:
Oats are a great source of soluble fibre that will keep you regular, lower cholesterol and fill you up for hours. According to studies, the beta-glucan fiber found in oats can help regulate your appetite for up to 4 hours as well as help lower cholesterol. I’ve also used macadamia nut oil in this recipe which gives it a lovely buttery flavour and is also heart healthy and anti-inflammatory to the body. Cocoa from dark chocolate is rich in Magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and riboflavin, essential micronutrients for health and vitality. The high flavenoid content of cocoa has been scientifically linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Cocoa also contain theobromine that boost endorphins and increases mental alertness.

200 g ( 2 cups /7 oz) Organic rolled oats
50 g (1 3/4 oz) flaked or desiccated coconut
60 g (2 oz) macadamia nut oil or your choice cold pressed coconut oil or butter (melted)
60 g (2 oz) honey,  organic maple syrup or rice syrup
1 organic egg
100 g (3 1/2 oz) block good quality dark eating chocolate 70% (see notes)

Preheat your oven to 150 C / 300 F.
Combine oats, coconut, oil or melted butter, honey and egg into a mixing bowl.
Mix through with your hands for a few minutes – squishing the ingredients together until the cookie starts to come together.
I often like to rest the mixture for 5 minutes after mixing – so the oats soften a little more and hold together when squished.
Chop up the chocolate with a large knife.
Add chocolate to the oats and mix through.
Form into 12 cookies…I love using a small ice cream scoop for this – so easy that way.
Place onto a prepared baking tray and flatten slightly.
Bake for approx 20 minutes or until golden. Check half way through the cooking…they are delicate so you need to watch them.
Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Keeps in an airtight container for 1 week.
Makes 12 cookies

Notes + Inspiration
I always like to make a double batch – these are soooo yummy.
Carob can be used in place of the dark chocolate.
Pump up the protein and add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Pure Native WPI

Popular Links:
Nut Free Protein Balls
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

14 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies”
  1. Karen says:

Is it possible to get the nutritional breakdown?

2. Sharee says:

Just got these out of the oven and they are amazing! I tried two different ‘healthy’ (paleo) choc chip cookie recipes yesterday and they had more of a cake like texture such a disaster! These are crunchy and chewy at the same time. Got about 18 cookies out of this batch so there might actually be some left for tomorrow :)

3. Jessi says:

Super Easy & Super Delicious ~ Thank You !

4. Christine says:

Dear Teresa,
    ;) for your amazing recipes
    Can I use the 85% Lindt block instead of 70%?
    I have been baking and cooking with your recipes and love them.

5. Penny says:

Sooooooo good! These were demolished in less than a day by my family!

6. Ania says:

I love your blog and recipes. Thanks for including so much information about the main ingredient I would like to make the cookies but although I’m not coeliac I am on gluten free diet. I bought a packet of Amercan produced oats that are supposedly not contaminated with gluten. What is your opinion about them?

7. Layne says:

Thank you for your wonderful recipes, Teresa. Just wondering if these cookies would still work with a flax egg to keep them vegan?

8. Olivia says:

Just wanted to say thank you for this recipe. I bake them every week for the school lunch box and work snacks. I do it x 1.5 with everything except the chocolate (keep it to 100g) and the egg (which I double to 2). I leave it overnight and bake them in the morning, as they form into balls so much easier when you leave the mixture.
    Thanks again!

9. anna says:

love all of your recipes, so easy, delicious and nutritious! would it be possible to have these portions in cups instead of grams? thanks

10. Rose says:

These (like all your recipes) look delicious! Can you substitute the chocolate for raisins?

11. Samantha Headland says:

I love all your recipes, but this didn’t work for me. Mixture didn’t bind together at all. It all fell apart when I tried to flatten them. They are in the oven now, after I had a dummy spit but I’m sure they will taste lovely, haha!

Would be very help to have the 60g + other gram conversions for liquids.

Many thanks

12. Samantha Headland says:

Woops, helpful sorry. Plus it made a lot more than 12.

13. Eveline says:

I made these this weekend and they were delicious! I used 30gr walnut oil and 30gr cold pressed coconut oil instead of the macadamia nut oil and ran out of chocolate so used 50 gr chocolate and 50 gr walnut pieces. I also let the mixture rest for about an hour or so in the fridge before shaping it into cookies, and they stuck together perfectly. I can definitely recommend these, they don’t taste ‘healthy’, a perfect weekend treat! I also think they’d still be lovely with a bit less honey, next time I’ll try 30gr!