Cauliflower Mash

I regularly make cauliflower mash to serve along side comfort food dinners such as osso bucco, almond crusted chicken schnitzel or oven baked fish.  The trick to making the best cauliflower mash is not to over cook your cauliflower, so make sure to chop it fine before adding to your pot which lessens the cooking time to around 5 – 10 minutes.  The next important note is not to add too much water or stock – you want to have enough just to be able to steam the cauliflower until tender and the water has mostly evaporated. Blend it whilst still hot and serve straight away.  The final result will be a creamy, velvety white mash that tastes absolutely amazing.

Cauliflower is rich in sulphur that works as an anti-inflammatory that can support digestion and boost your immune system.  It is low in calories, carbs and fat and a great source of potassium that’s needed for nerve and muscle contraction in the body.

1 cauliflower (approx 800g / 28  1/4 oz) finely chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil
a little sea salt and white pepper to season

Saute onion and garlic in a large pot with the olive oil over a low to medium heat until softened.
Add the fine chopped cauliflower and 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock.
Cover the pot completely with a tight fitting lid and turn down to heat to a low simmer.
Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring half way through and checking to make sure there is still enough liquid to steam the cauliflower. It’s important not to overcook it to keep the fresh flavour intact.
Remove from the heat and place into a good high speed blender like a Vitamix.
Season with a little sea salt and white pepper.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite comport food dishes.
Serves 4

Serving suggestions + notes:
Top with caramelised onion.
Serve with almond crusted chicken schnitzel
Make healthy sausages, peas + mash with port jus.
Serve with oven crispy skinned salmon and smashed peas.
Serve along side oven roasted organic chicken scented with thyme and lemon.

Make into a soup by just whisking though a little more vegetable stock.

Comments
30 Responses to “Cauliflower Mash”
  1. Nic says:

Yummmo! Sometimes I make this with some coconut milk with a stir-fry instead of rice – it’s so healthy & tasty.

2. Veni says:

yum, I love cauliflower. Thought of doing potato mash tonight, you changed my mind…. lol

3. mindi says:

yum! love cauli mash! so delicious and easy and comforting!

4. I love this recipe! Most cauliflower mash recipes that I’ve come across have potato which puts me off for some reason. So trying this.

5. Love cauliflower mash!!!! Can I make another serving suggestion??? I add Parmesan cheese through it and disguise it as a bechamel sauce in my lasagna!!! Kids have no clue! It’s so creamy and tasty (I also add a bay leaf for the aroma factor) xxDani

6. isabelle says:

I make this all the time, with caramelised onions and mushrooms.. i cook the cauliflower with 3 cloves garlic and a pinch of vegeta veggie delight stock powder (msg free etc.).. then i add 1 tbsp natural biodynamic yoghurt and 1 tsp dijon mustard when blending. I have also put in a handful of cashews or macadamia nuts instead of the yoghurt. One important thing though – you cant really use too much stem, the flowrets work best.. Yum!
    ps in case anyones interested… i saute 2 onions with tamari, coconut oil, paprika, apple cidar vinegar, pinch stevia, worcestershire sauce , tsp tomato paste and a tiny bit of chilli flakes or cayenne pepper to make a thick bbq-sauce style reduction. the mushrooms go in with this. super tasty and comforting, pairs perfectly with the mash : )

7. Sue says:

Yummo!
    Sounds beaut….planning on osso bucco tomorrow night…..so I’m just wondering Teresa, what do you do for your osso bucco???
    Would love to hear your suggestions…………..

8. Amelia says:

Teresa, how do you make the cramelised onion?

9. Hayley says:

Love the caramelized onion recipe with mash…yum!!

10. Romi says:

Made this the other day to have with vege sausages and broccolini – changes it a bit though – roasted the cauliflower and also fennel bulb with garlic cloves and then pulverised them into a mash with a drizzle of truffle oil. –> heavenly…

11. LizB says:

Just finished dinner your lean beef stroganoff on your cauli mash Teresa …. Amazing !! Ur the best , thanks for making me a good cook ;) xliz

12. Kristi says:

Cauliflower mash is also delicious with sea scallops and pesto as an entree :)

13. Anna Tamvakis says:

Teresa, I made this tonight and served it with smashed peas and salmon. It was sublime and is definietly going to make my regular meal rotation. Delicious!

14. Anita says:

made this last night to go with fish for diner but with lots more garlic! Was very delicious! Any chance of a healthy mushroom sauce recipe? i love all you recipes! :)

15. Hailey says:

I just recently became a veggie only eater and I love this recipe- I added 1/2 an avocado when I mashed for some added flavor because I’m terrible when it comes to keeping spices and herbs around the kitchen, worked great tasted yummy- thanks :)

16. Jodie says:

When I make this it always comes out too runny. I didn’t even add any liquid into the vitamix last night and the mash was more like a thick sauce. I only buzzed it for about 3 or 4 seconds. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions for making it more like a thick mash? Thanks

17. wendy says:

Yumm, I’m going to make this tonight with salmon. Made it once before and it wasn’t creamy, but it added texture and a nutty crunch to the curry, which I liked. But think I’ll try again and aim for a creamy garlic texture tonight. So versatile and healthy. Thanks for the great recipe and wonderful tips.

18. stuart says:

Made this tonite with some lamb shanks slow cooked in vegetable stock. I used some of the water from the slow cooker to cook the cauliflower. Oh my goodness it was full of flavour. Tasted 300 times better than heavy potato mash.neven my 3 year old loved it. Will be using this recipe ALOT!

19. Say says:

Just made this for dinner. Quite the treat!

20. Kelly says:

This was the BEST Cauli mash I’ve ever had. Thankyou so much. The trick is definitely steaming it. Thankyou again xox

21. Tracy says:

I made this tonight to go with another of your recipies (chicken snitzel with almond meal).
    I just cooked cauli as normal in the pot and added some minced garlic to the water towards the end and then drained it and blitzed it with some parmasen cheese (oops not so healthy) but it was divine – and the man loved it – think I have a convert and was great to be able to tell him the nutritional value also – Thanks!!

22. The information that you provided was thorough and helpful. I will have to share your article with others.

23. Eimear says:

Just made this and it was just delicious, can’t believe how tasty it is for such a simple recipe, I did use three cloves of garlic instead of one. New favourite comfort food.

Trackbacks
  1. [...] Heat a Large frying pan over medium heat. Brown the beef on each side for a few minutes. Place the beef in a heavy-based / cast iron casserole dish. Deglaze the frying pan by adding 2 cups of red wine then add it to the casserole dish. Clean your frying pan and sauté the onions over a medium heat until golden brown. Add the onions to the casserole dish. Add the mushrooms to the casserole dish. Add thyme, star anis and water. Mix everything together. Cover well with foil so all sides are completely sealed. Cook for 3 – 4 hours or until the beef is tender. Taste and check, season with a little sea salt and pepper if required. Thicken if necessary with 1 teaspoon arrowroot. Serves 6 Enjoy with or without short-crust pastry. This pie can also be served with cauliflower mash. [...]

2. [...] Heat a Large frying pan over medium heat. Brown the beef on each side for a few minutes. Place the beef in a heavy-based / cast iron casserole dish. Deglaze the frying pan by adding 2 cups of red wine then add it to the casserole dish. Clean your frying pan and sauté the onions over a medium heat until golden brown. Add the onions to the casserole dish. Add the mushrooms to the casserole dish. Add thyme, star anis and water. Mix everything together. Cover well with foil so all sides are completely sealed. Cook for 4 hours or until the beef is tender. Taste and check, season with a little sea salt and pepper if required. Thicken if necessary by reducing the stock or with 1 teaspoon arrowroot. Serves 6 Enjoy with or without short-crust pastry. This pie can also be served with cauliflower mash. [...]