Healthy Chocolate Mousse

healthy chocolate mousse

Here’s a velvety smooth chocolate mousse from my 80/20 cook book that’s perfect for Mother’s Day!  A chocolate mousse that’s guilt free and loaded with super foods and antioxidants. My purely delicious chocolate mousse is made from ripe avocado that is blended with my Naked Chocolat that is scented with pure Madagascan vanilla and a pinch of artisan sea salt.  The addition of a little splash of coconut milk will make the texture a little lighter – which is quite nice if you are serving this mousse in individual glasses.

If you are choosing to spread this magnificent mousse onto cakes or cupcakes, then I love to add 2 tablespoons of cold pressed coconut oil or cocoa butter to help firm it up a bit when it’s in the fridge. There is something magical about avocado – it’s a wonderful emulsifier and marries ingredients together perfectly and allows the wonderful chocolate vanilla flavours to linger in the mouth. I love to serve this mousse as part of a dessert served with smashed raspberries or spread over a fresh made chocolate cake. Enjoy.

The botanical name for the cacao tree is theobroma cacao – which means “food of the gods” in Greek. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports that cocoa which comes in the form of cacao powder can improve heart health, lower blood pressure and reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. Cacao is high in magnesium and iron and also contains compounds that act as stimulants believed to boost serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain that gives you a pleasurable sensation similar to the high people get after exercise. Avocado adds a lovely creaminess and is full of good anti-inflammatory mono-unsaturated fats that is good for your health.

1/2 cup organic maple syrup
2 large ripe avocados
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
1/2 cup raw cacao or Healthy Chef Naked Chocolate

Combine all the ingredients in a good powerful high speed blender adding the maple syrup first, followed by the avocado, vanilla and cocoa.
Blend for about 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
Add a splash of water or coconut milk to make a lighter mousse. Taste and adjust if needed.
Spoon into a bowl and allow to set in the fridge.
Enjoy – serves 10

Notes + Inspiration
This mousse is delicious on it’s own or used as a topping for cakes and cupcakes. The addition of 2 tablespoons melted cacao butter or cold pressed coconut oil will firm up the mousse.

For a protein rich snack on the go add 2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Protein
Add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Organic Superfood to pump up antioxidants.
Serve alone or with alongside smashed raspberries or cinnamon roasted figs and pomegranate.

16 Responses to “Healthy Chocolate Mousse”
  1. Bianca says:

Can I use honey instead maple syrup?

2. Caroline Harris says:

Hi Theresa
    Love all your recipes! Can you tell me what is cacao butter and where do I get it? The only thing I can find is Copha – is it the same?

• Hi Caroline….you don’t really need cocoa butter or coconut oil unless you are wanting a very firm frosting to cover a cake….I would recommend you make without and it will work wonderfully……cocoa butter is hard to get – you may be able to find in your health food store, don’t use copha is a hydrogenated trans fat linked to disease. This is a lovely mousse….just make as the recipe suggests – pure and simple.

3. Debbie says:

Hiya can I use different cocoa powder as iam from the UK and can’t buy ur naked chocolate powder??

4. Ann Whitby says:

Can you buy your Naked Chocolate at health food shops….I’m in Perth northern suburbs

5. GeeTee says:

I just made this and oh, yum. SO good. I used organic cacao powder and I served it with some simple raspberry coulis and shredded coconut. Quickest, easiest and yummiest thing I’ve had in ages!! Thankyou! :)

6. Connie says:

Can you please tell me if I am able to buy your products from a store in Melbourne?

7. Andrew says:

This is absolutely the best treat. I’ve made it several times and it’s so quick and easy. People can’t believe the ingredients when you tell them

8. Joy says:

Just wondering how long this will last as a frosting on a cake? Thank you :)

9. Jennifer says:

Love this! just came out of the oven however I’m trying to eliminate as much sugar as I can, including honey and maple syrup. Does t really need it? is there anything else I can use? It’s not a sweet cake so I fear that if I eliminate them it’ll be too strong.

10. Michelle says:

Wow, super delicious treat on a rainy Saturday evening in Ireland! Love this mousse. Thanks Teresa!

1. […] the cake as it will create a lovely moist texture inside. Remove from the oven and cool. Cover with healthy chocolate mousse or chocolate ganache. […]