Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Chocolate Cake - One Bowl-4370
This is the perfect way to indulge with a delicious blend of super foods. My Chocolate Olive Oil Cake is power packed with antioxidants to boost energy and promote wellbeing. Smooth and Sophisticated my chocolate cake is moist and decadent and rich in antioxidants and heart healthy essential fatty acids that promote good health. This flourless chocolate cake takes just a few minutes to mix up and it’s perfect for impromptu dinner parties, picnics or just because you feel like some lush chocolate therapy. Serve topped with ganache or top generously with my healthy chocolate mousse.

Cocoa is one of the highest known antioxidant foods on the planet. Rich in magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, riboflavin and essential micronutrients for health and vitality. The high flavenoid content of cocoa has been scientifically linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Cocoa contains theobromine that boost endorphins and give you that pleasurable sensation similar to the high people get after exercise.

I adore the versatility of olive oil. It is a lovely heat-stable and all-purpose oil that’s great for most cooking purposes including sautéing and baking, as well as making the most delicious dressings. Olive oil has some unique qualities that make it stable under cooking conditions, and provided you’re buying high-quality olive oil to begin with, you can sauté to your heart’s content.There are two reasons why olive oil outperforms other vegetable oils when it’s heated. First, it contains polyphenols and tocopherols, which act to protect the oil from oxidation; second, it’s made up of mostly mono-unsaturated fat, which makes it more stable when heated.

Almonds are high in magnesium and potassium that is essential for muscle and nerve function. Almonds are also rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect the body against free radicals as well as protein to help sustain lean muscle and repair the body.

Eggs are high in protein and contain all the essential amino acids needed for growth and repair. Including quality protein sources into your meals every day supports weight loss + healthy metabolism, maintains a healthy immune system, curbs appetite and helps to sustain lean muscle.

2 1/2  cups (250g/8  3/4 oz) almond meal
1/2 cup (60 g/2 oz) Naked Chocolate or cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
3 free range eggs
1/2 cup (4  1/2 fl oz)  olive oil
1/2 cup ( 4 1/2 fl oz) almond or coconut milk
1/2 cup (4  1/2 oz) honey or organic maple syrup

Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F).
Combine almond meal, Naked Chocolat, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
Add the eggs, olive oil, milk and honey.
Mix well to form a smooth batter.
Spoon into a 20 cm / 8 inch round baking tin that you have lined with baking paper to prevent sticking. Alternatively you can line the tin with butter and dust with cocoa powder.
Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until just cooked through. It’s ok if the inside is a little moist when you remove the cake as it will create a lovely moist texture inside.
Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Cover with healthy chocolate mousse or chocolate ganache.
Serves 16

Popular Links

Comments
33 Responses to “Chocolate Olive Oil Cake”
  1. Rachel says:

Oh yumm I didn’t have the ingredients for a real ganache but melted some cocoa nibs, coconut butter (artisan) and a splash of milk for a sort of chocolate sauce-worked really well-another splendid recipe ms cutter thankyou

2. Jess Frisch says:

Can this be made into muffins?! Yummy!

3. Doris says:

The best chocolate cake I have ever tasted. I did not make ganache but I have added a big dollop of organic coconut yoghurt …yummy.

4. Alicia says:

Made It, Ate It, LOVED IT!
    As a new mum the “One Bowl” is a massive help for easy cooking.
    Please can you add some more “One Bowl” healthy baking recipes.
    Thank you again!

5. Haylee says:

Hi would you put this cake in the fridge or store in a cello place?? For how long is it ok?

6. Debbie says:

Just wondering if this is a dense cake or fluffy??

7. Adrienn says:

thank you so much for this recipe. I made it 4 times now, success every time:) we love all of your recipes.

8. Chessie says:

Would coconut milk work?

9. kellyj says:

can ganache curdle? when i added my cream to chocholate it seems to have gone lumpish if that makes any sense? also i seem to have liquid in the bowl too, does the cream seperate? were my ingredients too hot? i use an induction cooktop, only level 5 ( out of 14) so very low? should i start again??

10. Maria says:

I’m about to make this now.
    Just wondering whether any protein powder can be added to up the protein?

11. Lew says:

OMG, I made cake this morning for a lunch function and it was delicious! Served with fresh Strawberries and a little bit of vanilla ice cream – Yum! Thank you! Everyone of your recipes I’ve tried has worked perfect every time! xxLew

12. Brooke says:

Ive just made this cake and the ganache is thick and not smooth i did exactly as you said? Any reason why this might happen?

thanks

13. Carriann says:

Amazing….. made this morning. So easy so damn delicious

14. Jenny says:

Wow! I made this cake for a friends birthday party, and it was a hit. I didn’t think the kids would like it because it didn’t have any sugar, but they loved it too. I made a ganache of 100gm dark chocolate (75‰) and 270mls coconut cream. Simply amazing

15. Amanda says:

Just made this- the cake rose really well (I used a slice tin) and has good texture, but for me the almond flavour is too strong. I think I prefer the naked chocolate cake.

16. Sophie says:

Made this cake today for a friend’s birthday. She’s coeliac and so can’t have gluten and said it was the best tasting cake she’s had in a long while and probably the best consistency cake she’s ever had! Easy to follow recipe – I whipped the eggs for ten minutes to make sure they were really fluffy and then popped in the oven! Checked it at 35 mins and then it was done at 40 mins – rose beautifully and tasted great! Thanks for a fab recipe and for such a wonderful birthday cake! :)

17. Julia B says:

Hi there, am hoping to make this cake and have some leftover buttermilk – am wondering whether I could use buttermilk instead of normal milk? Or would it be too thick?
    Thanks

18. Marisa says:

Hi Teresa, is this recipe gluten free?

19. Adrienne Brennan says:

Your Naked Chocolate is fantastic! It has enabled me to have my own special treats and a hot chocolate with my almond milk. Just trying this chocolate cake as muffins, thanks again, Adrienne

20. Danielle Croaker says:

Hi. I was hoping someone could help me with how to make this without eggs (allergies). Thanks!

21. Jen says:

Hi
    I can’t have honey but do u think this would work with stevia if I increase the oil or milk to balance the moisture?
    Thanks for a great site

22. Trish Leth says:

Hi Teresa,can’t wait to make this yummy cake.Just a quick question,can I use cocao powder instead of cocoa?

23. PG says:

Can I substitute raw cacao powder for the cocoa powder in this recipe? thanks

24. ROZ says:

Any tips for almond free? Makes it easier to include in school treats.

25. Lucy says:

What brand of olive oil do you use/recommend ?

26. Monica says:

Beautiful cake. Light & moist. I served with some strawberries puréed . Husband liked it – always a bonus!

27. Naydeen says:

What a gorgeous cake!!
    great fresh out of the oven, and even better the next day … for breakfast!
    used normal cream, not really a fan of the coconut cream next time i might try natural yogurt?..
    and rice malt instead as i had ran out of honey
    thank you Teresa this is a keeper, so glad I came across this one x

28. Chloe says:

Great cake and so easy to make – thankyou for sharing , do you have the nutrition details ? I’m tracking my macros and its something i’d like to make again

• Glad you love my recipe ! Chloe, I’m not a fan of calorie counting, so not including it recipes, however there are many apps and programs you can easily download and work them out yourself. Hope this helps. T:) x